Seats on Pennsylvanian

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Horseshoe Curve is at NS Mile Post 242, about 32 miles east of Johnstown and seven miles west of Altoona. Figure about 35-40 minutes after leaving Johnstown. Be prepared to be underwhelmed. The curve is, well, a curve. I think the mountain views as the train rides the ridge heading from the tunnels to the curve are much more spectacular than the curve itself. Those are also off the right side of the train (heading east).

Yes, RRF will go over Horseshoe Curve. Best view on the right, as you said. Lots and lots of trees to obstruct the view. But the O.P. won't be on that stretch of track, and that's what I was referring to. Sorry I misunderstood.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're talking to 2_different people Tom so we're both right!

My Post is to RR Freek who is riding #42 from PGH- PHL off of #30/ you were answering a Guest Poster getting on after the Curve!

This happens, points to both of us!

I haven't been in Colorado lately either! LOL

Horseshoe Curve is at NS Mile Post 242, about 32 miles east of Johnstown and seven miles west of Altoona. Figure about 35-40 minutes after leaving Johnstown. Be prepared to be underwhelmed. The curve is, well, a curve. I think the mountain views as the train rides the ridge heading from the tunnels to the curve are much more spectacular than the curve itself. Those are also off the right side of the train (heading east).
I'm heading to Florida. In your opinions would it be best just to stay in my roomette to WAS??? If that's the case, I have no problem !!!!

I'm heading to Florida. In your opinions would it be best just to stay in my roomette to WAS??? If that's the case, I have no problem !!!!
You mean stay on the CL?

Horseshoe Curve is at NS Mile Post 242,
Pros and Cons: You decide!
Penn#42 PGH- PHL Wakeup @ 5am/ no breakfast/ Wait in basement BusxStation Like Station for 2_Hours/ Arrive PHL @ 3PM/ wait in CA for 2 Hours/ Board Silver Meteor @ 5PM/ Early Dinner before WAS

Cap Ltd#30.CHI-WAS Sleep in/Breakfast- Brunch in CCC/ Nice scenery when Sun comes up into WAS/ Arrive 105pm(if on time)/ Can use CA WAS during 6 Hour Layover/ Catch Meteor @730pm for Florida/ Late Dinner in Diner( hopefully????)

You make the Call!!!

If you get off @ 50th Street you'll be in trouble in PHL!! Its 30th Street Station!( Penn Station/PHL)and its a jewel!! LOL

If you haven't done #42, its a nice ride as Bill and the others said.

I think my Pros and Cons can help.you decide! I ve done both too, guess if I'd not been PGH- PHL on #42 I'd choose that, otherwise it would be #30 all the way,!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rail Freak,

I have only been as far west on the Pennsylvanian as Johnstown, but I can tell you the scenery you will see from there east will include Horseshoe Curve, a meandering river, the skyline (such as it is) of Harrisburg and some gentle farmland (with horses, cows, and sheep) before you get to the uninspiring outskirts of Philly. I find that scenery incredibly relaxing, but I'm not sure it's worth having to sit in what sounds like a dungeon in Pittsburgh at the crack of dawn without breakfast. Plus, the roomette to WAS will obviously be more comfortable than any seat on the Pennsylvanian, even business class. On the other hand, if you really aren't going to do another LD trip, it would be a shame to miss 30th Street (and two hours there is not too much in my opinion--by the time you check your stuff into the lounge and walk around the station--make sure to look up at the ceiling--and go back and hang out at the lounge, the Meteor will be there). So, on the pros and cons list, this seems to be about even.

the Altoona Curve is between Johnstown and Tyrone, PA , close to Altoona, hence the name!
And to be really picky, Altoona Curve is actually the name of the Pittsburgh Pirates double-A minor league team. (Sorry, I couldn't resist pointing this out, since I do the same thing all the time when telling someone about the Horseshoe Curve!) :p

No, unfortunately, that phrasing is very unclear. Technically, there should be enough seats to go around. However, in coach, you have to deal with people with stuff on the seat next to them, or people with their feet up on the seats pretending to be asleep or staring into their phones so they can pretend not to see you.

However, much of this observation is based on the Northeast Regional between Philadelphia and New York, which seems to have some of the rudest people in the country riding it.
+1

Though for a Regional from Philly to DC. And the totally worthless conductors will not do a single thing to help get you a seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back