Schedule versus Timetable?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IM confused.. I have been watching the 59 "City of New Orleans" on the Amtrak tracking map to see if it had continued running past Jackson (as we have a trip on this booked).. It would appear that since Tuesday all is fine and back to normalish...

However what I don't get is why (after Memphis) there seems to be an hours discrepancy between when it arrives and what the pdf timetable on the website says for every stop.. For instance yesterday it states it arrived in New Orleans at 4:20pm (27mins early) but the timetable says it was due in NO at 3:32pm. Is the timetable on the official page out of date?

They may have temporarily adjusted the times to cover the slow orders over the temporary bridge.

I'm traveling Saturday on 59 and Amtrak told me Tuesday that it is running all the way through and running as normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did I miss here? Last I heard this was going to be a 5 month bustitution to get this nearly mile of bridge fixed. If they have somehow created a temporary bridge I would love to hear how the railroad did it. That would be an amazing repair.

O.K. Just answered my own question with a google search . Found an article from Times Picyune (sp.) dated Feb 15. Seems early reports of 5000 feet of damage were greatly exaggerated. Latest report says 800 feet needed replacing. Had this been a govt job , ayear of study would have been needed. Pictures in article shows test of the repair job by running an engine over it in just a week. As much as we all complain about host railroads they can do amazing repairs in a short amount of time.

The railroads have stockpiles of nearly everything needed in their operations, up to and including prefabricated bridge girders.

Mystery solved (I just recieved a new tkt email from Amtrak).. Looks like the Train stays in and leaves Memphis 90mins later than originally.. As we are splitting the journey in Memhis this raises another ?

Will we be able to stop on board for breakfast or a lie in before we get off in Memphis :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back