Scaring fish

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOND37

OBS Chief
ok so when a train (NEC) goes by a pond and sounds the horn to say hi doesn't that scare the fish when people are fishing?

ok so when a train (NEC) goes by a pond and sounds the horn to say hi doesn't that scare the fish when people are fishing?

It probably scares the fish whether people are fishing or not. :lol: If someone were invading my waters with lures and hooks, and the very real possibility of ending up on the end of one of those lures and hooks, noise from a train horn would be the least of my worries! :lol: :lol:

It probably scares the fish whether people are fishing or not. :lol: If someone were invading my waters with lures and hooks, and the very real possibility of ending up on the end of one of those lures and hooks, noise from a train horn would be the least of my worries! :lol: :lol:

LMAO

While I've never thought about scaring fish, you can always tell how "train green" cattle are when you go by and the horn sounds. Young calves and fresh arrivals to that pasture will run in all out terror, slightly more experience will bolt a few steps before stopping and those that have been around a while will barely swish tail and not even look up from grazing.

While I've never thought about scaring fish, you can always tell how "train green" cattle are when you go by and the horn sounds. Young calves and fresh arrivals to that pasture will run in all out terror, slightly more experience will bolt a few steps before stopping and those that have been around a while will barely swish tail and not even look up from grazing.
hahha never noticed.. and another thing - maybe its just me and i never noticed before but the engineers have been, pardon the expression quite horny lately.. my god. every 2 seconds.. lol

Fish act more towards vibrations rather than sound from something like horns above water. Just the fact of a train passing nearby would scare them more than horns.

I'd never thought about that, but now that I think about it, your observation is right on. Getting off-track slightly (so to speak :lol: ) on my recent SWC trip, at a ranch somewhere in New Mexico, a couple of dogs ran out and chased the train. I wondered what would have happened if they'd caught it??? :blink: :wacko: :giggle:

Getting off-track slightly (so to speak :lol: ) on my recent SWC trip, at a ranch somewhere in New Mexico, a couple of dogs ran out and chased the train. I wondered what would have happened if they'd caught it??? :blink: :wacko: :giggle:
Given the recent "track" record, it probably would have exploded.

I'd never thought about that, but now that I think about it, your observation is right on. Getting off-track slightly (so to speak :lol: ) on my recent SWC trip, at a ranch somewhere in New Mexico, a couple of dogs ran out and chased the train. I wondered what would have happened if they'd caught it???
Last year when I was on the San Joaquin, there was a former dog that tried to race the train. Unfortunately for him (or her?), he (or she?) tried to do so on the track, and not next to us.

I'd never thought about that, but now that I think about it, your observation is right on. Getting off-track slightly (so to speak :lol: ) on my recent SWC trip, at a ranch somewhere in New Mexico, a couple of dogs ran out and chased the train. I wondered what would have happened if they'd caught it???
Last year when I was on the San Joaquin, there was a former dog that tried to race the train. Unfortunately for him (or her?), he (or she?) tried to do so on the track, and not next to us.
RIP unknown dog.
sad.gif

No fish don't have ears....they have lateral lines that pick up vibration....nerves under the skin in other words.

I'd never thought about that, but now that I think about it, your observation is right on. Getting off-track slightly (so to speak :lol: ) on my recent SWC trip, at a ranch somewhere in New Mexico, a couple of dogs ran out and chased the train. I wondered what would have happened if they'd caught it??? :blink: :wacko: :giggle:
Years ago I rode a little regional DMU from Borlänge to Malung, Sweden. As we pulled out from one village, some cattle walked, trotted and eventually galloped along the accelerating train until they reached the end of their field. It looked like something they did every day.

On the South Shore near Portage Indiana the train crosses Burn Ditch. When the train went past ducks from everywhere flew in under the bridge. We found out why one day while fishing there. One of the train crew threw out a bag of feed as they passed....and them duck were not dumb.

I guess sarcasm & irony were not properly communicated through my previous post. Of course all sound is vibration. My point was that the rumbling of the engine at a much lower frequency and a much higher magnitude would probably scare the fish before the horn.

Too bad train horns don't faze some humans who walk on the tracks or drive through train crossings with oncoming trains. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back