Scanner and GPS...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim G.

Service Attendant
Two weeks from today Mrs. G and I will be on the EB from CHI to SEA. A week later the CS to SAC and the CZ back to CHI. I have a pretty good scanner but now I wonder if a gps would be fun to have along. I'd appreciate any input you could provide as to some models to consider (think EBAY) and the value of having a GPS in our room. I have a car GPS and love it but I don't think it would apply to rail travel. Thanks to all.

I am taking the same trip but leaving on this Saturday - National Train Day. I am bringing a scanner also. I have TomTom on my iphone and will probably use that some. My sister owns a GPS for Geocaching. I will be following this thread wondering what I should be bringing on my trip.

I took my car GPS on the trip I just returned from, and it worked just fine for me:

laptop.jpg

I took my car GPS on the trip I just returned from, and it worked just fine for me:
laptop.jpg
Wow.....your room looks better equipped than the locomotive cab!

Now that's what I call getting wired! :lol:

Dont buy a gps just for a train trip. Gps is interesting to have on a train, but since you are not the conductor and you dont make the decisions then the only effect is that your trip might be a little more interesting. Make your gps purchasing decisions based on activities that you enjoy where the gps can help you make decisions. If you like road trips get one made specifically for the car, if you like hiking get one made specifically for hiking. They all work fine on the train since you are not making decisions.

I've used my e-Trex and my trusty dust GPS III+ on the train with moderate success and occasional signal loss. My Nuvi worked great on the train - far better than the e-Trex (which is really intended for trail use). One thing though - I recommend muting the audio if you are riding in coach:)

I've seen folks refer to Radio Shack hand held scanners in this forum, but I do not recall specific models. Basic scanner capabilities to include ability to receive FM signals in VHF band (air traffic, public service etc.). Most scanners have this capability - very common. For convenience sake, you will want to a scanner that you can program and also one that has memory scan capabilities.

Enjoy your trip!

Dont buy a gps just for a train trip. Gps is interesting to have on a train, but since you are not the conductor and you dont make the decisions then the only effect is that your trip might be a little more interesting. Make your gps purchasing decisions based on activities that you enjoy where the gps can help you make decisions. If you like road trips get one made specifically for the car, if you like hiking get one made specifically for hiking. They all work fine on the train since you are not making decisions.
I disagree - decision making has nothing to do with it. Being able to answer the "What's that?" and "Where are we?" make having a GPS priceless. The OP said that they already have a car GPS, so just bring that along for the trip and it'll work great. Having a timetable and route guide and scanner really round out the trip.

A car GPS is good but what is even better is a topographic mapping program like Delorme's Topo USA running on your laptop with a GPS sensor plugged in.

It is not about making decisions its about having information - knowing where you are and knowing what is happening (oops, that from the scanner)

I disagree - decision making has nothing to do with it. Being able to answer the "What's that?" and "Where are we?" make having a GPS priceless. The OP said that they already have a car GPS, so just bring that along for the trip and it'll work great. Having a timetable and route guide and scanner really round out the trip.
It is all about decision making. I don't use a hiking gps in my car because it won't give me directions and by the time I figure out what is going on I will have missed my turn. I don't use a car gps in the woods because it wont tell me how tall a mountain is and the best way to the top. On the train I get on, take my seat, turn on some music, sit there a while, maybe go to the lounge car, go back to my seat, get off. Whether or not I fire up my gps is irrelevant. I am not saying it does not enhance the value, but since the only decision is if I want to go get a snack any old gps will do.

One of the problems with a GPS made for the car is that they are programmed to try to stay on a street on the map. That's what makes them very annoying for GeoCaching and can also be annoying on a train. However, most GPSs wil give you a 2d map wiew with a button to show where you are on the map. I've even used mine on an airplane thy way. You just don't get things like current speed and altitude from that view.

Thanks to my the company I work for, I now have an iPhone. Although I bought the tomtom application, which includes maps, and the tomtom car mount, which includes a better GPS chip, I've been using a free application called Motion-X Lite. It's nice becuse it doesn't expect that you are on a street map, but doesn't include maps so if you don't have a data signal. the map doesn't update. I also have a Garmen E-Trex, but don't use it because it usually can't get a signal, especially if I'm under just a tree.

So, to make a short story long, I don't yet have a good solution for LD train rides yet that travel through non-Edge coverage areas. But today I'm hoping to get my scanner as an early Fathers Day present! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've even used mine on an airplane thy way. You just don't get things like current speed and altitude from that view.
Be advised`that passenger use of a gps on a commercial aircraft, as well as any radio receiver is illegal.

The exception is the use of seatback gps and phones that are provided on some aircraft.

I've even used mine on an airplane thy way. You just don't get things like current speed and altitude from that view.
Be advised`that passenger use of a gps on a commercial aircraft, as well as any radio receiver is illegal.
Good to know - although I wonder if it was allowed. I was thinking that since it was receiving signals (not transmitting) that it wouldn't interfere with the aircraft, and I also assumed the flight attendants would tell me to turn it off if it wasn't allowed since I had it clearly attached to the window (which they didn't).

And I just read only a few minutes ago in the scanner manual that all scanners emit a "birdie" frequencies:

All scanners have signals created inside the scanner’s receiver. These birdie frequencies can interfere with transmissions on the same frequencies.
Oh well, guess there's another reason to take the train...

The exception is the use of seatback gps and phones that are provided on some aircraft.
Not true. Last I checked, Delta, Continental and Jet Blue (among others) allowed GPS use onboard. It's up to the policies of the airline.

The laptop looks like it's on the right page too...
Close, it's one of my other favorite forums (they run the same software).http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....st&p=353442

Jet Blue:

http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webis...,case=obj(2218)

Delta:

I leave friday for a weekend trip and will be using my iPhone for GPS purposes.

I have the free Instamapper app installed so as long as I have cell coverage it'll upload my position to a database for me to later use to map out the trip. I've got a tracker site (screenshot below) built using their API as well, so my wife will be able to see where I'm at as well during the trip.

screenshot20100502at348.png

I also have a handheld scanner with a 160Mhz tuned rubber duck for listening in to the chatter.

Not true. Last I checked, Delta, Continental and Jet Blue (among others) allowed GPS use onboard. It's up to the policies of the airline.

Close, it's one of my other favorite forums (they run the same software).http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index....st&p=353442

Jet Blue:

Delta:

After doing some more research on the subject, , I stand corrected. I am surprised to learn this. See http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

Here's a video I took of my GPS tracking my plane in the air at about 28,000 feet.

http://vimeo.com/11423824

It took about 5-10 minutes of holding the unit up to the window to acquire a signal but once it did it tracked the flight pretty well.

Here's a video I took of my GPS tracking my plane in the air at about 28,000 feet.

It took about 5-10 minutes of holding the unit up to the window to acquire a signal but once it did it tracked the flight pretty well.
I get everything running while in the terminal, then close the lid, board, and open the lid when we reach level flight. Works like a charm.

laptop.jpg
And the right computer!! Mac rules!

When my partner and I went down to Chicago a couple of weeks ago, we had his iPhone, and he was using the GPS on it to see where we were at. Here is one shot of it.

30578111833449626317640.jpg

And then on our way home, I asked him to see how fast we were going,

noteredirect.jpg

He did a little blog on it as well.

Yeah, but it's way cool to see your speed "525 mph" and altitude when you do use them..........

I get everything running while in the terminal, then close the lid, board, and open the lid when we reach level flight. Works like a charm.
You learned that trick to eh? Goes much faster if you do that.....I sometimes find the Delorme takes a while to lock into 3D status when speeding along.........

When my partner and I went down to Chicago a couple of weeks ago, we had his iPhone, and he was using the GPS on it to see where we were at. Here is one shot of it.
30578111833449626317640.jpg

That looks like you took that picture near the Milwaukee station, rolling under the Marquette Interchange on the Empire Builder.

I was able to use the MotionX-GPS while on the Southwest Chief earlier this year. It worked great in the observation car, as well as for much of the time in my roomette. Someone told me that on flatland stretches of Kansas, the Southwest Chief can reach 90 mph, but I think I fell asleep for that portion of the trip.

4374870652_610654020f_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back