Same Place, Two Different Stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the Mountaineer/Hilltopper used the Woodall Road Station (N&W) and the Crescent used the Kemper Street Station (Southern). That station just celebrated it's 100th year of operation

Raleigh and Cary, NC are only 8 miles apart. Many Raleigh residents choose the Cary station because its parking lot is much larger.

Not sure if it counts, but I believe you can still catch an Amtrak train in North Philly, and 30th Street on a select few of Amtrak trains.
And this easily represents the largest disparity between Amtrak stations in the same city. In FY11, 30th St Station registered 3.8 million riders, making

it the 3rd busiest station in the Amtrak system. North Philadelphia, OTOH, registered just 389 riders for the entire year. To put it another way,

more riders board a train in a typical hour at 30th St. than board Amtrak trains the entire year at North Philly.

Until 1979,.when Southern joined Amtrak, Birmingham had 2 stations. Amtrak's Floridian used the former L&N Depot on one side of downtown while the Southern Crescent used a new terminal Station that was built after the beautiful Terminal Station was torn down. The Floridian and Southern Crescent made decent connections in Birmingham but you had to take a cab from one station to the other. In 1975, I took the Southern Crescent from Atlanta to Birmingham and changed to the Floridian which was running a little late. While we were waiting on the platform at the L&N station, we saw Southern Crescent we just got off of go by on the outside track. The Dome Parlor Car attendent waived at us. A few minutes later, we boarded the northbound Floridian to Nashville where we sat in an ex Seaboard tear drop observation lounge cars

Yes, I made the SC-Floridian connection at B'ham several times. Walked it once, but the neighborhood around the Southern station was dicey. When Amtrak took over the Crescent in 1979, the train began stopping at the ex-L&N station so that connections to the Floridian could be made without changing stations. Unfortunately the Floridian was discontinued later that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back