RT from Portland,OR to Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosewood

Train Attendant
We have done this trip on the EB and CZ and twice using VIARail. We have not gone on the SL or TE. We are OK in repeating but what would you choose for a winter trip?

I'd choose to do 1)the Starlight #11 PDX-LAX/ Overnight in LAX. 2)Texas Eagle-Sunset Ltd. #422 LAX-CHI( 3 days a week)

Then return on 1) SWC#3 CHI-LAX/ 2)Starlite #14 LAX-PDX.

Sounds like a plan. We have done the CS a few times but using AR points might as well do the longest trip!

Thanks for the replies.

SWC is more scenic than the TE/SL (IMHO at least--Texas boosters might disagree ^_^ ). Also departs from LA, but unlike the TE the SWC is 7 days/week, and requires an overnight in LA to connect from CS to SWC, in either direction.

We ended up flying from Chi to Toronto to begin our VIA trip across Canada. Amtrak does go to Toronto and they have a ticket station at Toronto but the long layover somewhere along the route stopped me from wanting the train . In hindsight I would take the train all the way even with the long layover as our plane was cancelled and we missed our connection and had to stay two extra days in Toronto to begin our trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back