Route CZ or SWC suggestions eastbound

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been riding the CZ for almost 50 years ... my uncle got the mailbag from it in GRA for many years.

Anyway, lately we have been traveling east since daughter has moved to WI.

The first trip we took the CZ from GJT to CHI and then took metro link north then rented a car.

Last time we went GJT to GBB, rented a car in Galesburg and drove the scenic River Road to Madison WI.

We are looking for route suggestions so that we see another area this coming trip.

We live three hours from CZ's GJT depot but we also live three hours from catching the SWC in Gallup which we have not taken. But we know New Mexico quite well since we live nearby so the NM scenery would not be new to us.

Any suggestions on which train to take and where to jump off so that we can Rent-A-Car and drive the rest of the way to Madison Wisconsin?

We don't mind taking the long way meaning possibly an overnight stay between where we exit the train and when we reach Madison.

Also are there any recommended trains from GBB south that might make an interesting one night side excursion?

Thanks! Really appreciate the site.

PS. For any of you old rail fans, the Durango Silverton narrow gauge steam train is going past my window as I type.

Between the 2 routes, for me, the scenery between GJT and DEN on the CZ wins by a large margin over the scenery between GLP (Gallup) and LAJ (La Junta).

Perhaps the solution is to alternate on the 2 routes.

Next trip take the SWC, the trip after take the CZ. Rinse,repeat.

I've been on the CZ 3 times now (OSC - GJT 1st time and OTM - SAC, x2). For a change of scenery my next trip (May) will be on the Southwest Chief (GBB - LAX), Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle (LAX - CHI), and the Illinois Zephyr (CHI - GBB).

You can't beat the Enterprise rental place about 100 yards from the station in GBB. Both the CZ and the SWC stop in Galesburg.

On my last big solo trip I rode the CZ east from Sacramento to Galesburg and rented the car. I got 50 AGR points/day. I returned the car and took the SWC back to

Los Angeles. I had breakfast with 3 other gentlemen in New Mexico. One of the guys was Mark Murphy who is (or was) VP of Amtrak LD routes.

Ca Zephyr vs. SWC is a personal choice. But I am curious about

Last time we went GJT to GBB, rented a car in Galesburg and drove the scenic River Road to Madison WI.
Galesburg is one of my favorite places, but I didn't know it was near a scenic River Road. Now Burlington (CZ) and Fort Madison (SWC) are.

Also are there any recommended trains from GBB south that might make an interesting one night side excursion?
If you would like a tour of authentic 19th century residential architecture (Italianate, 2nd Empire, Greek revival, Queen Anne, Richardsonian romanesce, Victorian Gingerbread, as well as Tudor revival and prairie style, I could recommend Quincy, IL on the Mississippi River, about 1:10 minutes south of Ft. Madison and 1:40 south of Mt. Pleasant (CZ), a few minutes shorter and easier driving than Burlington. Or you could transfer to the Illinois Zephyr in GBB for Quincy; but if you are going to be renting a car, it might make sense to do so when detraining from the CZ or SWC, assuming car rentals are available there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back