Roomette Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

highballing

Train Attendant
I have some family coming in out of town. They are gonna take the Eagle just for fun. From Austin to Dallas. They have two adults and one child. They where going to get a roomette. I know that the roomette are tight and handle two people from the many times I've been in them. But since its daylight hours they will be traveling. Can they do 2 adults and one child. The child is small. Would most likely fit in one of the seats with the other adult. But they probably be out and about on the train more then in the roomette. Will they allow 2 adults and one child in a roomette on a short run. If so do i need to call amtrak on this or what??????

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

My understanding is that you can't book more than two persons into a roomette, so I don't think that would work. Maybe for a daytime trip the coach seats would be a better option, and they can spend time in the observation coach too. It may be possible to book the family room, if available, but that might be expensive.

Ed :cool:

How old is the child? There is a difference between an 18 month old infant and an 8 year old.

Hi,

My understanding is that you can't book more than two persons into a roomette, so I don't think that would work. Maybe for a daytime trip the coach seats would be a better option, and they can spend time in the observation coach too. It may be possible to book the family room, if available, but that might be expensive.

Ed :cool:
For daytime travel, you can book 3 in a roomette but you have to call to do it as Amtrak.com can't handle it.

Are they taking the roomette just because it includes a meal for two? IMO, a roomette for Austin-Dallas run isn't really worth it, coach is fine.

If you insist on getting a roomette and Amtrak does not allow you to book it for 2 adults and 1 child, you might want to try this workaround- book one adult and one child in the roomette and buy just a coach ticket for the other adult. Once onboard, the coach adult can come to the roomette and sit with the other two passengers. The sleeper attendant should hopefully not have any problem with this. I have done this exact same thing in SWC and I was allowed to sit with the sleeper passengers (though you never know what specimen of OBS you get!)

I think a roomette is "cozy" for two adults. It would depend on the age/size of the child.

If they are planning on spending most of their time outside of the roomette, why pay for it unless it's cheap enough that it would cover meal costs anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back