Room pricing on CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfan

Service Attendant
I am trying to book aroom on CZ for March , Amsnag low bucket on date I want is $635 fare

is $326 for two of us but price comes to $1200 om Amtrak website! How do I get the Amsnag $ ?

Also I would like any recomedations for hotels at Emeryville?

Thanks for any help!

Trainfan

Emeryville is a small place. Though within a few blocks of the Amtrak station you have a Hilton, Four Points, Hyatt and Courtyard - all in the $100-150 range. If being close to the station is not important, then there are many places within a taxi ride in Oakland or Berkeley; also one can Bart into SF for quite a few choices. The two important parameters are: distance from Amtrak, and price range.

I am trying to book aroom on CZ for March , Amsnag low bucket on date I want is $635 fare

is $326 for two of us but price comes to $1200 om Amtrak website! How do I get the Amsnag $ ?

Also I would like any recomedations for hotels at Emeryville?

Thanks for any help!

Trainfan
It sounds like you are running into the "bug" with pricing on sleeper rooms. You can call and get the amsnag price.

Probably pig-headed on my part... had assumed that Emeryville was cast in concrete... but if such is an option, and one wants better/other choices than what's available there or Oakland - then by all means: fly Amtrak to SF [you'll have more choices there, but they will be more expensive choices].

I stayed in the Hyatt House in Emeryville which actually overlooks the Amtrak station and easy walk across the overhead walk from the station to the hotel. I loved this hotel. It is very easy to take Emory Go Round free bus to BART to get to SF.

You can always take the Ambus to Fisherman's Wharf. We got a hotel in San Francisco for $80/night, and it wasn't a roach motel. It had a king bed and nice fixtures, just your basic TV, sleep, shower place. We didn't need anything fancy, and we were pretty happy there. It was called Motel Capri.

Thanks for the help! We plan to stay in the Fishermans Wharf area of SF . What is the best

way to get there from EMY ? and any hotel recomendations ?

As far as the Cz room goes I was able to get the low bucket if you use the Multi- City feature on

the amtrak web site as it still uses the old booking format , when you use the round trip on the

new website you cant get the low bucket !! Even Amtrak is confused about this as they

only quote the higher fare. :(

Trainfan.

Just a quick question...

Is car #0632 on the California Zephyr the Trans-Dorm?
Nope, the Transdorms on the CZ are 0540/0640. The 0632 Sleeper is on the End of the Train (Rail Fan Window) Unless a PV or an Extra Car is being Hauled on #6!!!
Wow - thanks so much... I like the back of the train…

I recall a few years ago in early December, we had 7 & 8 on the Empire Builder, and no one was in 9 & 10. The car was situated so we were on the end. We could look out either side, or walk over to the back window - which was also a nice view, especially after you departed the Rockies, heading east into Montana, and you were looking back west - out the back window.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help! We plan to stay in the Fishermans Wharf area of SF . What is the best

way to get there from EMY ? and any hotel recomendations ?
When you book your trip, use SFW as the station code (San Francisco - Fishermans' Wharf). This will give you a ticket for the train to Emeryville and the bus connection to Fishermans' Wharf.

Once you get off the train, head outside; the Amtrak bus is pretty obvious.

4528473913_4ba17eb289_o.jpg

Wow - I really love that photo…

I know that we are really excited about our trip in January. SFW to WAS on CZ and the Capital Limited. Flying out, work one afternoon and evening, and taking off a few days to take the train back, one way.

Got a March trip booked at low bucket Jxn to SFW , Thanks for your help ,SarahZ , I have found over the years this

is the best place to get the right info on Amtrak (including Amtrak itself)!!

Trainfan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back