River Runner inquiry

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchBishop

Train Attendant
My family is thinking of taking the River Runner from Kansas City to either Kirkwood or St. Louis for a long weekend this summer. I have a few things I would like to hear from folks in the know that could maybe help me with.

1. Our plans are to travel out of KC on Thursday morning and arrive back on Sunday afternoon. Is there a place to park the car at KC for that long, and at what cost?

2. My daughter is recovering from a stroke, and is able to get around with a cane, but for this trip we will need to take her wheelchair for when she gets tired. Will the wheelchair count as a piece of luggage?

3. Since there is no checked baggage at either KCY or STL, how much difficulty will there be to get the wheelchair on/off-board?

4. My three year old grandson will also be making the trip, similar to the wheelchair questions, will his car seat count as luggage?

5. I have given thought to getting my reservations at KCY (in advance) to make sure they are aware of the disability issues, rather than trying to do that on-line or over the phone. Good idea?

6. What about taking our lunch with us, good idea? One reason I ask is the mobility issue with my daughter.

7. Any thing else I should be thinking about?

I'm not familiar with the River Runner, but did want to let you know that Amtrak has a disability discount and one companion of the disabled person can get their ticket at the discount also.

I would not think that the wheelchair or the car seat would count against you as far as baggage limits. If you can handle them all, then you can carry them on.

I believe the companion disability fare has been discontinued. Check with Amtrak reservations, 1 800 872 7245

It's best to call Amtrak or visit a staffed station for this reservation, as they have special wheelchair space that is not bookable online, and they also note it on the manifest to indicate any special accommodations need to be made.

Last edited by a moderator:
2. My daughter is recovering from a stroke, and is able to get around with a cane, but for this trip we will need to take her wheelchair for when she gets tired. Will the wheelchair count as a piece of luggage? No. Why would it?

3. Since there is no checked baggage at either KCY or STL, how much difficulty will there be to get the wheelchair on/off-board? Not much. There should be a lift at those stations.

4. My three year old grandson will also be making the trip, similar to the wheelchair questions, will his car seat count as luggage? If you need the car seat then bring it. But I wouldn't bring it unless you really need it. I was less then 2 when I went on my first trip and sat in a regular seat next to one of my parents and I was fine.

5. I have given thought to getting my reservations at KCY (in advance) to make sure they are aware of the disability issues, rather than trying to do that on-line or over the phone. Good idea? Call. Why waste time and gas driving. The agents at the 1-800 number can handle issuing a disabled fare much easier then a station agent.

6. What about taking our lunch with us, good idea? One reason I ask is the mobility issue with my daughter. You can take lunch or buy it on board. Me personally I'd buy on board as it's less to worry about bringing on board. Some of the food isn't bad now a days. I rather enjoy the hot dogs!

7. Any thing else I should be thinking about? No. Just enjoy the trip.

In regards to parking, there is parking right at Union Station. It's not cheap though - $10/day (which is high for Kansas City, where most parking is free (we're spoiled here in KC!))

The Missouri service uses Horizon single level coaches which have had one or two seats removed from each end of most cars. This is where wheel chairs, bikes, and overflow luggage ride. Unless the conductor, inadvertently I hope, directs two wheel chair passengers to the same spot, there should be plenty of room.

As far as boarding, I don't know the capabilities of Amtrak staff at KCY or STL, but I'm sure any number of passengers would be willing to help. Last time I was there KWD had civilian volunteers manning the station.

[SIZE=10.5pt]I took his inquiry about the wheelchair to be a case of loading/unloading a folded wheelchair since he said she could walk with a cane, but needs the wheelchair at her destination for when she gets tired.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I agree about leaving the car seat at home unless you need it for use at the destination. You don’t need to use it on the train (there are no seatbelts on the train to secure it either).[/SIZE]

To follow up some of the comments, thanks by the way, the wheelchair if for use when and if she needs it in St. Louis getting around. She can go short distances with use of the cane, I don't think we will need it on the train. She will be slow going up any steps to the train, but other than that, she is getting around really well.

The car seat for the grandson was also for use in a vehicle in St. Louis, I did not think we would need it on the train.

Since this is a short (three day) trip, I don't think we will be exceeding the bag limit, but didn't know if either item counted toward that limit.

I am not concerned with the disabled fare, if there is such a thing, we are actually using a voucher I got from a recent trip that more than covers the five of us going on this trip at regular fare for four adults and one child.

Thanks to you all.

My family is thinking of taking the River Runner from Kansas City to either Kirkwood or St. Louis for a long weekend this summer. I have a few things I would like to hear from folks in the know that could maybe help me with.

1. Our plans are to travel out of KC on Thursday morning and arrive back on Sunday afternoon. Is there a place to park the car at KC for that long, and at what cost?
No idea.

2. My daughter is recovering from a stroke, and is able to get around with a cane, but for this trip we will need to take her wheelchair for when she gets tired. Will the wheelchair count as a piece of luggage?
The wheelchair does NOT count against the bag limit. It is extra; necessary medical equipment.

3. Since there is no checked baggage at either KCY or STL, how much difficulty will there be to get the wheelchair on/off-board?
It'll be a bit of a pain. Let Amtrak know *in advance* and Amtrak should handle it. This is why you make the "disabled reservation", not just for the fare discount. You will also want to get to the station early and talk to the station staff, since the information is not always properly communicated to the staff who are there on the particular day you arrive.
She does have the right, if she wants to, to be loaded on board and offboard using the wheelchair lift. She can still sit in a seat and have the wheelchair stowed. Amtrak is required to help stow it.

http://www.amtrak.com/wheeled-mobility-device-services

4. My three year old grandson will also be making the trip, similar to the wheelchair questions, will his car seat count as luggage?
Yes, and it is luggage. Possibly oversized luggage.

5. I have given thought to getting my reservations at KCY (in advance) to make sure they are aware of the disability issues, rather than trying to do that on-line or over the phone. Good idea?
Yes. However, I have found that over the phone works pretty well. On-line doesn't work very well.
If you have a voucher, it's probably going to be much easier to process the whole thing in person.

6. What about taking our lunch with us, good idea? One reason I ask is the mobility issue with my daughter.
That's up to you. This route just has a cafe car, which means you just buy stuff at the counter and carry it away, perhaps back to your seat. So there should be no difference in convenience between getting cafe food and bringing your own. You may be able to bring *better, healthier, tastier* food with you than you can get at the cafe car, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back