Riding the NEC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

We are planning to ride from D.C. to Stamford Conn.

For those of you who have taken the Northeast Regional trains, is the extra cost--seemingly a lot--to ride business class worth it? We don't care about a free water or soft drink or the USA Today, we are interested in whether the seats and foot/leg rests are that much more comfortable.

FYI We have ruled out the Acela because the savings of maybe 40 minutes cannot be worth the incredible surcharge, given that we do not have to be someplace in a hurry.

Thanks to anyone with a considered opinion.

Since this a 4+ hour trip along the NEC, and considering that most rush hour trains will probably be crowded if not full, IMO it IS worth it for the biz class upgrade! You are correct about the drink and newspaper, they really dont justify the price of the upgrade but one thing to consider also is riding in the Quiet Car (no cell phones/loud yapping by inconsiderate yahoos etc.)which is coach. Opinions are like noses everyone has one, but IMO

a ride on Acela First Class is bucket list stuff, if you havent done it it's worth it, similar to First Class in the Old days on the airlines when First Class was "First Class!" :)

For a trip of that length I think BC would be worth it. The seats are larger, more comfortable, and have a foot rest. There are only 60 seats as opposed to 72 in coach.

For a trip of that length I think BC would be worth it. The seats are larger, more comfortable, and have a foot rest. There are only 60 seats as opposed to 72 in coach.
I personally would rather sit in the Quiet Car (right behind the BC car) and use the extra $20-$26 to buy a good dinner. I once took BC from WAS (on a train that STARTED IT'S RUN in WAS), and as son as people boarded, (before the train even moved), they took out their cell phones and began yapping!
ohmy.gif
And this was not just 1 person, but like 10-15 people! (And they were not using their phones before this.)

The only NEC train I may consider BC is #66/#67!

I personally would rather sit in the Quiet Car (right behind the BC car) and use the extra $20-$26 to buy a good dinner. I once took BC from WAS (on a train that STARTED IT'S RUN in WAS), and as son as people boarded, (before the train even moved), they took out their cell phones and began yapping!
ohmy.gif
And this was not just 1 person, but like 10-15 people! (And they were not using their phones before this.)

The only NEC train I may consider BC is #66/#67!
I completely agree with the traveler about this. Plus, sometimes on the NEC you don't even get the 60 seat car for BC, you get the regular coach car with a 8.5 x 11 sheet of computer paper duct taped over the coach label that someone wrote Business Class on with a sharpie. And vice versa sometimes!

I think the upcharge for Acela is actually worth it, if not for the 40 minute time savings but for the comfort factor. The acela BC seats have the footrest and are a little more comfortable, IMO, than the NEC regional train coaches.

So in conclusion, no, I would not pay for the upgrade to BC on a trip of that length, I would stick with coach and hightail it to the quiet car.

My husband and I went up to NY on Sunday the27th of June 2010 for the parade.

Due to budget we were on a NJT double decker. Pulling into NY Penn we were next to an arriving Acela. It was jammed to the gills at 10:00 am on a SUNDAY!

Based on that the BC is probably worth it, failing that the Acela v. NE Regional coach would be more comfortable.

End of day: the corridor needs more and higher capacity trains.

D.

My husband and I went up to NY on Sunday the27th of June 2010 for the parade.

Due to budget we were on a NJT double decker. Pulling into NY Penn we were next to an arriving Acela. It was jammed to the gills at 10:00 am on a SUNDAY!

Based on that the BC is probably worth it, failing that the Acela v. NE Regional coach would be more comfortable.

End of day: the corridor needs more and higher capacity trains.

D.
Are you sure the Acela didn't just look full because people were standing whilst waiting to alight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back