Refreshments for Sleeper Car passengers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not for nothing, but we have k-cups in the instructors lounge at the training center where I teach some classes. They buy 8 different varieties of various styles, and there is a wide range of quality and taste, but almost everyone finds one they like. We don't go for price, that makes a big factor. Since it is a commercial machine it has a permanent water supply, and we keep a clean filter on it, that also makes a big difference. Rhe student lounge has a D_E machine, otherwise the cups would be gone every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
The K-Cup machine where I go is commercial with a water supply and a automatic waste disposal of the finished cup since no one seemed to be able to remove their used cup. The unit is serviced weekly by the vendor, who also brings more supplies. I don't think K-Cup is an option for the sleepers. People will hoard all the K-Cups like they do water bottles.

K-Cups are an expensive way to brew coffee. The management at Amtrak is too stingy to go that route. As for the lack of ice (or the trouble to get it) that really gets on my nerves. During our 4-5 hr layovers in CHI we just walk to Greektown and buy a bag of ice at Marianos supermarket. That one bag of ice fills our cooler and provides ice for the morning hot juice and usually for the rest of the second day journey. .

I have no problem with the ice not being out, but if someone declined to get it (as long as they were not on a break or busy doing something) I would be pretty annoyed.

Agreed, that was one of the main things that I was implying when I said "busy doing something" I also figure cleaning bathroom or shower, moving luggage for passengers and setting up rooms that are turning over during a trip as some of the things I wouldn't expect someone to stop for me.....Probably a few others I can't think of at this hour.

On my last LD Amtrak sleeper trip (CZ, earlier this month), no refreshments outside of the complementary bottle of water was available for sleeper passengers.

I had my work-arounds, including asking for a glass of water along with soda at mealtimes.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Amtrak Forum mobile app

As for passenger's hoarding K-Cups....I hadn't considered that. It doesn't seem to be a problem on the bus line I mentioned, nor the complimentary bottled beverages and snacks in the self service pantry, but then that ride is only about 5 hours, not two days...

And coffee 'concentrate' or syrup? Yuck....they used that on Princess Cruise Lines and they had the worst coffee at sea, IMHO...

The best coffee machine that I've ever tasted coffee from, was a German made, WMF machine that grinded the beans, brewed them, and then french-pressed them into each cup....fantastic!

But that machine was much too expensive and elaborate to be just used for one sleeper...

Perhaps to prevent hoarding, the attendant could distribute a few of them each day to the passengers?

The other option for Coffee would be to allow "Guests" (passengers) to get coffee or hot water from the DC since they have it around the clock. I do not see the K cup working.

Concentrate based dispensers are only as good or bad as the quality of the product purchased, water supply, and cleanliness. There is a concentrate based coffee dispenser (also one for juices) at our educational center in Cutchogue. It makes sense for 24 hour access to coffee/hot water. They buy the "good stuff" and have a filter on the water. Same for our juice dispenser.

How many bottles of water does Amtrak supply to the SCA? If two per passenger, I can see why an SCA would allow only two (and that's being simply practical, not mean). Though, I can also see that, from experience, an SCA would know that some passengers would never request any, leaving extras for any passenger asking for a third or forth.

If there are extras, what does the SCA "officially" do with them? Take them home for themselves? Turn them in to the LSA to sell to coach people?

I was on the CZ round trip OTM - SAC - OTM this last week.

Both ways, and in both sleeper cars, each TA-SC kept bottled water available at the coffee service station.

Most recently, once SCA on the SL had two large bottle cases of water in his room that he handed out upon request and when he went room to room. Another SCA on the CZ had cases of water, small bottles on his upper bunk, but he also kept 4 or 5 out at the coffee station. He asked people when he made beds down if they needed more water. On the TE, you had to ask for more water which the SCA got from behind his always closed door of the SCA room. All three SCA had 2 bottles out in the room when we boarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back