Real food?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtoddander

Train Attendant
Do any trains really prepare the meals they serve? Or, are they simply reheating meals made at some central kitchen? Is there food service on any train or trains better than the rest?

Well....since I posted my note in the Amtrak forum and sine I referenced the Amtrak Guest Rewards program, let's just assume I am asking Bout basic Amtrak ld routes and not via rail Canada or local specialty outings.

LD trains with full dining car cook some items such as steaks, omelettes on board. LD trains without full dining car such as the cardinal reheats their food in a convection oven. PPC on CS has their own special menu and you are not forced to share table with other passengers.

Well....since I posted my note in the Amtrak forum and sine I referenced the Amtrak Guest Rewards program, let's just assume I am asking Bout basic Amtrak ld routes and not via rail Canada or local specialty outings.
At this point nearly all of the trains have been reduced to a very basic assortment of mostly frozen and mostly precooked selections. There are a couple exceptions with at least one fresh ingredient (omelet, baked potato) but for the most part you'll be eating frozen and/or reheated food at every meal on every train.

Last edited by a moderator:
And keep in mind what is on the Menu doesn't always match what is available, even in the PPC where the Food is brought from the Diner Kitchen by the LSA! The Hot Plate is no longer used!!!

Railroad French Toast: Is it available anymore on the Crescent, the Sunset Limited, or the Southwest Chief?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back