Rail Stations: Grand or Functional

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One nice feature at Paris Austelitz is that the metro comes out of the side of the main train shed

080416_56.jpg

Now I'm also beginning to notice the large train sheds in Europe. American stations seem to have large halls but small train shed, European ones quite the opposite. Then again, the main difference is in the large station, the small ones are much more similar.

World’s Largest Underground High-Speed Rail Station

Meant to connect Hong Kong to Beijing, the Express Rail Link West Kowloon Terminus is said to become the largest underground high-speed rail station in the world. This stunning modern concept was designed by Andrew Bromberg of international architecture studio Aedas and its completion is programmed for 2015. In three years time, the huge 4,628,481 square feet (430,000 square meters) contemporary terminal in central Hong Kong will be prepared with 15 tracks for high-speed trains reaching maximum speeds of 124 mph.
Express-Rail-Link-West-Kowloon-Terminus1.jpg

That station also has too much glass and it does not look grand at all. 124 is also not a very high-speed for HSTs, I was expecing more speed. IMO, the proposed station is too rounded.

That station also has too much glass and it does not look grand at all. 124 is also not a very high-speed for HSTs, I was expecing more speed. IMO, the proposed station is too rounded.
On the contrary, I like it a lot. I think the Hong Kong station is very nice. I like the green aspects to it, and I feel that when they say 124, they mean while in the station confines and approaching track, where in no more than a few minutes out it would reach the higher speed

On the contrary, I like it a lot. I think the Hong Kong station is very nice. I like the green aspects to it, and I feel that when they say 124, they mean while in the station confines and approaching track, where in no more than a few minutes out it would reach the higher speed
WHAT! That's too high for approach tracks, I suspect that running at such high speeds in the platform area will not end well. A few mounths ago a CRH derailed in bad weather. Don't know why. Apparantly the Minister was corrupt and messing with CRH funds. I'm afraid those same stuff will happen with 124 mph approach tracks. The CRH380A can't even run 380 km/h, only 320 km/h! More corruption?

I lived in Hong Kong for seven years and Beijing for three years, I can assure you that the proposed

Hong Kong station is a major improvement over the existing station in the city. Has anyone seen what

the Beijing station will look like??

That is pretty impressive.

North Korean?
Moscow.
Yup, that looks like the platform of a typical older station. Many stations have similar layout at platform level, from that era. The lobby between the two platform of Komosomolskaya looks like this (from Flickr):

149193238_6ce310d154.jpg

The entrance lobby in some stations are pretty extravagant too..

moscow%20metro%20mosaic.jpg

I spent an afternoon just exploring Metro stations with my tour guide when I was in Moscow. Beautiful stations, specially the older original ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
The nicest station I've ever been to is definitely NYC's Grand Central Terminal (I'm from Chicago). It's better than all of the Metra stations in Chicago including our Union Station. The main drawbacks are that it does not serve Amtrak and that it is not yet connected to Penn Station, although that will be changing in the future. It is SO MUCH nicer & more civilized than Penn Station.

I love the Muscovite and North Korean stations, but the trains themselves look less good. What do you think are the best looking subway trains?

I lived in Hong Kong for seven years and Beijing for three years
But never Shanghai???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back