Questions about points/dollars needed for a roomette on the Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder Road

Service Attendant
Hi all,

You may have seen me reason through whether or not to take the Card in March, and I decided not to, because I didn't have enough points for a roomette.

Well I just discovered the "buy points" option.
biggrin.gif

So now what I want to get straight is: if I buy a roomette with points, do I still need to buy the coach seat, or is it included with the points? I mean I don't really even want a coach seat, but I think you have to buy both normally, right?

Also, when traveling to/from the NEC, and in this case from Chicago, is that a two-zone trip or three-zone? All of the NEC stops are on the Eastern Zone map, but then the NEC has a separate map and I can't tell if it's also supposed to be a separate zone.

I really appreciate you guys all helping me out. (If I do take the Card, I'm switching it to take eastbound, at everyone's suggestions.)

15000 points for the first zone is the amount for a roomette which includes the rail fare (coach seat). This means that 15000 covers your rail fare, accomodations, and meals. No need to purchase anything else. NEC is its own zone only when traveling within that zone; otherwise, it is part of the eastern zone. Therefore, to go from NYP to CHI in a roomette on the CARD is 20,000 points (two zone roomette award).

Hope that clarifies it for you.

If I buy a roomette with points, do I still need to buy the coach seat, or is it included with the points? I mean I don't really even want a coach seat, but I think you have to buy both normally, right?
If you choose to pay with points then both the coach fare and the sleeper accommodation upgrade is included in the points fee. The base points rate covers everything for two people in a roomette or three in a bedroom or four in a family room.

Also, when traveling to/from the NEC, and in this case from Chicago, is that a two-zone trip or three-zone? All of the NEC stops are on the Eastern Zone map, but then the NEC has a separate map and I can't tell if it's also supposed to be a separate zone.
You can basically ignore the NEC zone unless you are traveling entirely within that zone. For those of us located outside of the Northeast Corridor there are only three zones to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more clarification on using points for a roomette. When booking a train from Boston to Miami, there has to be a transfer either in Penn Station or in DC. Do the 15,000 points cover both legs of the trip since it is all in one zone? Or do you need more points when there is a transfer involved?

I appreciate any info.

One more clarification on using points for a roomette. When booking a train from Boston to Miami, there has to be a transfer either in Penn Station or in DC. Do the 15,000 points cover both legs of the trip since it is all in one zone? Or do you need more points when there is a transfer involved?

I appreciate any info.
Your 15K points covers it all. No need to worry about transfers or different trains adding to the points required.

CRAZY EXAMPLE: Even If if took sixteen trains to get to your one zone destination, it would still be the same number of points, in this case 15K.

No additional points needed on the transfer, as noted above. 15K points will get you and a companion all the way from BOS - MIA, or from even Portland, ME to Miami (three trains).

Back