Question about Smoke Stops

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For non-smokers, the smoke stops can provide a wealth of entertainment, starting when the Conductor announces a very short upcoming smoke stop. When the train stops, stand back and enjoy the near panic as smokers fight to get out that door and use every second on the platform to power smoke faster than you would think physics allow a cig to burn. Add in rain or 20 below windchill for a bonus.
Then when they board, count all the butts on the ground, not all of which are stamped out.

I can understand the addiction. I can't understand the piggery of so many smokers.

I still remember in Atlanta at one of the freeway exits. There were literally thousands of butts at the light. Why? Not only did the smokers take the red light as an opportunity to flick away the butt but they decided it was a good time to dump the ash tray!
That has always disgusted me. I used to work as a white water guide in the Grand Canyon on 8 day trips. When the guests arrived at Lee's Ferry for departure, we would check-out all the smokers and issue plastic bags for their butts. If we caught anyone throwing cigs out at the campsites they were made to police the entire area before we left. We even had to haul out our human waste and left only footprints.

One of the stramgest "smoke stops" was on the Sunset West Bound, in Texas, when they said they would let us off 1 block before the station and we could smoke and walk to the station but for God's sake be careful getting off on the right of way and don't break an ankle or we won't be able to make this a smoke stop anymore.

Seems like 1/3 of the passengers got off. Took longer to unload the smokers in the ballast then it would have to unload at the station.

Many cities here have ordinances prohibiting smoking within 50-100 ft of public building entrances.

As a smoker - I was quite pleased on my recent trip (silver service) how courteous the coach attendant was to us smokers. Then of course we had to stop at one point for about 20 mins to wait for a NB train and I could see the conductor along the tracks smoking - oh well it's not just the PAX.

I have said all along many people in the transportation industry smoke.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most disgusting part is sitting near someone who has been smoking. Not only is the constant odor unpleasant, the nicotine (a stimulant) keeps me awake, as I have no biological tolerance. It's like a caffeine rush.

The most disgusting part is sitting near someone who has been smoking. Not only is the constant odor unpleasant, the nicotine (a stimulant) keeps me awake, as I have no biological tolerance. It's like a caffeine rush.
I totally agree with the sitting by a smoker and would attempt to move at all costs, BUT the nicotine stimulant reference is a bit hard to believe. No offense, but do you have a link for some medical proof of this? I'm just curious, thanks!

http://www.no-smoke.org/learnmore.php?id=671

My mother doesn't hold her grandchildren after she smokes because she doesn't want that nasty crap transferred to them.

Additionally, my eyes start watering and I have a mild asthma attack if I sit in my boyfriend's truck after he's been smoking, even if it was a half-hour ago. He also washes his hands and changes his shirt if he's been smoking a lot; otherwise, I'll start coughing if he hugs me.

Those compounds stay in the fabric, and they're combined with that awful smell. So, yes, a smoker can affect someone who doesn't smoke even if they aren't smoking at that very second. Some are more sensitive to it than others.

I totally agree with the sitting by a smoker and would attempt to move at all costs, BUT the nicotine stimulant reference is a bit hard to believe. No offense, but do you have a link for some medical proof of this? I'm just curious, thanks!
No medical proof about trace amounts, just experience. Very small amounts of nicotine make me anxious and keep me awake.

If you're referring to nicotine being a stimulant, this is well documented. The "relaxation" effect smokers feel is simply a calming of withdrawal symptoms.

No medical proof about trace amounts, just experience. Very small amounts of nicotine make me anxious and keep me awake.

If you're referring to nicotine being a stimulant, this is well documented. The "relaxation" effect smokers feel is simply a calming of withdrawal symptoms.
Thanks, good to know. I had not even heard of "third-hand smoke". I don't think I've ever been physically affected by it, but for instance if I'm standing in line at the grocery store near a smoker I move to another line. All the restaurants and bars here in WI are smoke free and that is a relief. Nothing worse than residual smoke smell on clothing and hair. FYI...here's a link from Mayo defining the problem.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/third-hand-smoke/AN01985

Thanks for the link. It's the first scientific acknowledgement of the issue I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back