PV Trip to RPA Meridian Conference

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anderson

Engineer
Quoting the RPA Hotline

Ride Private Varnish to The Fall Meeting in Meridian

Rail Passengers Association Board Secretary Cliff Dunn is leading an effort to put together a private-varnish trip to our Meridian meeting in October and is taking reservations now.

The trip, with full meal service, departs New York on Wednesday, October 4, and arrives into Meridian, MS, or New Orleans the following day, Thursday, October 5. The private cars will return northbound on Monday, October 9, arriving into New York on Tuesday, October 10.

The organizers are set up to accept boardings southbound anywhere between New York (NYP) and Charlottesville (CVS). Northbound, you can board either at New Orleans or Meridian (MEI).

Round Trip fares are:

Upper Berth: $1,650
Lower Berth: $1,800
Roomette: $2,775
Bedroom: $4,100
Special Rooms: $7,250

Cliff notes that there are three of these “special” rooms, which are larger, and details on those rooms will be provided upon request.

The organizers can also do one-way fares, but here too you should ask for more details on how that will work.

“Additionally, if you wish to originate or terminate in New Orleans and ride Amtrak back to Meridian (or take Amtrak to New Orleans from Meridian and then start with us there), we will be happy to help accommodate such desires,” he says. “We can also accommodate different origins/destinations; please contact us to inquire.”

Spaces are first-come first-served, and the group is looking for a deposit of not less than 25% of your fare when you make the reservation, with the balance paid by September 13, unless other arrangements are made. Billing will be by PayPal invoice.

If you’re interested, email the organizers at [email protected]

[Disclaimer: Yes, this is my project. Non-RPA folks are welcome to join.]

Enjoy the trip! I'll be on board the same train NYP to Meridian in the regular riff raff sleeper section. Had already booked with points when I saw this option. I will undoubtedly be looking towards the private cars in envy when I consume my flexible dinner. 🤣

I just boarded 19(4) at New York which was several minutes late into the station and did not see the PV on the back…I hope there was not a mech issue and no one is stranded.

Sounds like the making of a nice trip and the private car offering looks to be wonderful. Had my schedule not been so darn hectic, I would have participated. Never took a private car and sorry that I missed the opportunity. Still have no idea what is going to be accomplished there but I wish all the attendees a safe trip and a good time at the conference. I believe forum member Jis will be there and I look forward to his report.

Back