Putting the horse way ahead of the carriage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ayezee

Train Attendant
With all the talk of Madison Square Garden not being permitted beyond ten future years, it is quite plausible that now is the time to start talking about Penn Station III in NYC. I personally think while the classical stations are beautiful and breathtaking any new headhouse for the new Penn Station needs to be something out of the 21st century. Something that takes classical elements and combines it with many modern styling's that will make an uniquely 21st century American station. So what says everybody else?

With all the talk of Madison Square Garden not being permitted beyond ten future years, it is quite plausible that now is the time to start talking about Penn Station III in NYC. I personally think while the classical stations are beautiful and breathtaking any new headhouse for the new Penn Station needs to be something out of the 21st century. Something that takes classical elements and combines it with many modern styling's that will make an uniquely 21st century American station. So what says everybody else?
It's all about the money.

Though, who knows how people will be feeling in a few years? Train stations were seen as the wave of the past in mid-20th century NYC, while airports have been lavished with funds.

And yet we had the abomination known as JFK in the 60s and 70s NYC.

It is only in the 90s that JFK started getting a few decent terminals.

Specially in case of New York, it is more than likely that significant fund for any station improvement will come from the same agency that manages the airports and the bus terminal.

And yet we had the abomination known as JFK in the 60s and 70s NYC.
It is only in the 90s that JFK started getting a few decent terminals.

Specially in case of New York, it is more than likely that significant fund for any station improvement will come from the same agency that manages the airports and the bus terminal.
jis: IINM that would be the New York /New jersey Port Authority? I sure hope they would do a better job than the Port Authority Bus Station in NYC which makes Penn Station seem like the Taj Mahal in comparison! :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Both modern and classical designs would be interesting and have there place. I don't think you will see anything too breathtaking. It will have simple forms with maybe some grander areas. To spend money on something too great will be a waste. Safety and efficiency should be the top design goals.

The main aesthetic complaint about Penn is that it's crowded and claustrophobic.

Solution: high ceilings and wide platforms. Once you do that, I don't suppose it matters much what the rest of the details are.

The most important thing to me is expanding rail capacity, specifically finishing the Gateway Tunnel and one of the proposals to build more platforms into Penn Station so the station becomes less overcrowded with trains which is a win-win for commuters since that would mean trains can arrive and enter service sooner than today.

I just don't want the new station to turn into the money drain that is the World Trade Center PATH hub. Yes I have a hobby photographing railroad stations and I know I'll be impressed when they finish the Calatrava terminal but I know I'll always think about just how many transit extensions could we have built with all the money wasted on a grand subway station that didn't increase any rail capacity (I have the same opinion of the Fulton Street Transit Center too).

Yes, Penn Station is different and serves passengers for longer times than subway stations, but capacity, not beauty is most important to me.

I just don't want the new station to turn into the money drain that is the World Trade Center PATH hub. Yes I have a hobby photographing railroad stations and I know I'll be impressed when they finish the Calatrava terminal but I know I'll always think about just how many transit extensions could we have built with all the money wasted on a grand subway station that didn't increase any rail capacity (I have the same opinion of the Fulton Street Transit Center too).
Fulton St. provides ADA-accessible passageways between all platforms at 5 separate subway stations, expands waiting space at the two most overcrowded platforms, adds at least 4 new entrances to the stations, and clarifies and widens the walking paths between platforms.

Capacity isn't always about number of trains, sometimes it's about room for people on foot. Fulton St. provided lots and lots of that and was therefore worthwhile.

The 'oculus' was dumb. But at least it's in the right place: right on top of the most high-volume walking route, between the 4/5 and the A/C.

WTC PATH... well, uh, they rebuilt the platforms and the access to them pretty much exactly as they were before. Then they built a nice wide hallway from there to Cortlandt St. Which is great! But the hallway cost a billion dollars becuase it was designed by Calatrava. Which is not great! The Calatrava hallway isn't actually the natural entry point for either PATH or the Cortlandt St. station or the E subway station. People will probably not use it unless they are walking from PATH to the subway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back