Proposed Upgrades to Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet! "Those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end!"

Looks like we've slowly learned (except for Vegas and Austin!) not to tear down all of our historic and architecturial distinctive buildings in the name of "progress and modernization!"but to actually preserve and restore some of them, especially the Rail Stations! (Kansas City,Cinncinnati Grand Central,Washington Union, LAX, Utica,the Penn Stations except for NYP etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those track number recordings make me "homesick". I put that in quotes because I only lived in Chicago for a short time one summer, but I've been in CUS so many times that thinking about them makes me wistful.

I think it's probably conditioning, really, since recordings = train trip = happyfuntime.

Crescent - Chicago has absolutely GORGEOUS architecture. If you have enough time, you should catch one of the river boat architecture tours.

Sarah, that was another question I meant to ask. I know the water taxi leaves from near the station, but do you know about how long even a basic water taxi ride, and return, would take, and if their schedules are pretty reliable? I'm a bit paranoid about missing the train, but we hope to have a couple of hours to explore a little bit. We want to go up to the observation deck of Willis is it doesn't take too long, but we'd also like the water taxi, I think. But it seems things always turn out to take longer than you anticipate. ?? And I'd like to find a geocache or two, if there's time.

Those track number recordings make me "homesick". I put that in quotes because I only lived in Chicago for a short time one summer, but I've been in CUS so many times that thinking about them makes me wistful.

I think it's probably conditioning, really, since recordings = train trip = happyfuntime.
Mmmmm, me too.
I've gotta get a train ride in here soon sometime. It's been far too long.

Sarah, that was another question I meant to ask. I know the water taxi leaves from near the station, but do you know about how long even a basic water taxi ride, and return, would take, and if their schedules are pretty reliable? I'm a bit paranoid about missing the train, but we hope to have a couple of hours to explore a little bit. We want to go up to the observation deck of Willis is it doesn't take too long, but we'd also like the water taxi, I think. But it seems things always turn out to take longer than you anticipate. ?? And I'd like to find a geocache or two, if there's time.
Last time I rode the water taxi I went one way from Navy Pier back to CUS. It was about 20-25 minutes if I remember correctly.

You can go to the tower's web site and make a reservation so you don't have to wait in line.l But if it is cloudy, don't bother, you can't see much unless it is clear.

Here are some snaps from up top to give you an idea.

0266.jpg

0273.jpg

0274.jpg

0284.jpg

Perfectly understandable, Sarah. I've lived here in Eastern Washington all my life, and if I ever moved, I know I'd feel the same way about all the charms that make up the Spokane station, like the parking lot in which you pay by putting your money in a slot that corresponds to your parking place. And where the slot is too small to easily put your money in.....and where the numbers in your parking spot are faded and you have to hope nearby spots are legible so you can figure out which spot you're in......and where you get drenched while struggling to put your money in the slot because the automatic sprinklers are pointed right at you instead of the surrounding greenery....and inside the station which features a Quik Trak machine that never works....and bathrooms that are locked only business hours....and vending machines that stubbornly refuse to dispense your item.....and a mix of wooden benches and plastic seats that are similar in that they are uniformly uncomfortable. Now THOSE are what remind me of train trips and happy times. I am leaving for Seattle from Spokane on Monday....and am much looking forward to all of it including Spokane's quirky station!

Crescent: you may want to consider going to the John Hancock Building since the Willis Tower ( nee Sears)is so busy! You could take the water taxi and combine the two, if, as Tom said, its a clear day!

Also there are the London style Double Decker Buses that load in front of the Willis Tower that make for nice sightseeing in the Loop!

Google is your friend here, hope you have the time, as Ms Chicago ( Sarah) says, Chicago is a wonderful place to sightsee!(in the Spring, Summer and Fall! LOL

Ditto on the Hancock Center. The view, in my opinion, is much cooler, and the line is maybe ten minutes versus two hours. It's only ten stories shorter, which is pretty negligible at that height.

Hmm. Caveat. They have that new "Tilt" attraction, so the lines might be a bit longer now, but still.

Also, the Hancock has The Cheesecake Factory on the bottom, a Hershey store across the street, and Ghirardelli kitty-korner from Hershey. :D

You can take the #151 bus from Canal St, and it will take you all the way up Michigan Ave to the Hancock Center. It's the huge, black building near the Water Tower. Actually, you can see it in that first picture MrFSS posted. :) (I love that shot of the lake too.)

I also recommend an architecture boat tour over the water taxi. They're two completely different things. Here's the link:

http://www.wendellaboats.com/

If you're comfortable using Google Maps on your phone (they have an app), getting around Chicago is super easy. It recognizes my location at any given time, so I just plug in a destination, click on the little transit icon (a bus), and it gives me all of the transit options for getting where I need to go, complete with walking directions to the various bus and L stops.

Mmmmm, me too.
I've gotta get a train ride in here soon sometime. It's been far too long.
Come up for the fireworks at UD. :D

No matter how long you've lived other places, sometimes someplace is just the place you feel most at home. I spent 20 years aggregate living on the Jersey Shore, 2 years living in the Poconos, 5 years living in Glassboro, 2 years living in Roebling, and a year living in Reading. And no matter, because Reading felt like home the day I moved in, like no place ever has, and I have felt terribly homesick for it since the day I moved back to Jersey.

Sarah, thanks again. I thought I'd read on the water taxi site that they offer an architectural tour, too, but I've been to so many I'm probably getting them confused. But your link says they also run the water taxi, so maybe it's the same one after all. In any case, it looks good. Hope the CL isn't running late.

If the Willis takes two hours, we'll probably skip it. I wanted to do the virtual geocache there, but we may not want to use two hours of our time. There's a virtual at the old Water Tower so that might be an alternative if we go to the Hancock. Hopefully the bus runs pretty often in each direction.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCMDAX_chicagos-water-tower?Submit6=Go

I have google maps on my phone but I don't recall the little bus icon, will check settings.

So much to do, so little time!

Sadly the last time I was passing through CHI on a cross country adventure, the Great Hall was closed for a private event. :(

If the Willis takes two hours, we'll probably skip it.
It depends wildly on when you're there. Amy and I did it on our Honeymoon and rolled through on a Monday morning and walked in and went straight to the top.
My daughter & I did it on a Sunday morning after arriving on the CL. The line wasn't long & moved quickly. We actually bypassed the "movie" so we could get up to the top faster.

crescent2, consider getting a red cap when you get off the train in CHI. S/he'll take you right to the lounge. You can get one to take you to your next train too. Just remember to tip.

I was too impatient to wait for the red cap my first time there, but didn't have any trouble finding the lounge (after having done my homework via the internet). The main thing that will help is to find a pic (there's at least one somewhere on the forum) of the door to the lounge. It does sit back from the hall way, but can be seen easily.
I took the SWC out of CUS last month. Didn't have any trouble finding the lounge (I did my homework), but I was very glad to be led to the train. I probably would be still wandering around the bowels of the station otherwise.

Took the River Tour before my train. The company that runs the water Taxi that leaves across from CUS also runs a river tour. If you buy the tour the Taxi ride to and from the tour is free. They were able to tell me the times pretty accuratly. The weather was beautiful and the tour was a lot of fun. Of course I am a retired Architect, so I really enjoyed it.

I read quite a few reviews of CUS, and they are all over the place, more so than usual for reviews. Some say it's clean (except the restrooms) with lots of signage and friendly agents, and some say it's a vast wasteland that's nasty, full of aggressive panhandlers and obnoxious agents, and impossible to navigate.
The public restrooms are a mess that never seemed to be cleaned and the waiting areas are rather dull and depressing, including the highly overrated Metropolitan Lounge. The Amtrak staff at CHI have sometimes been bossy and rude but not always. In any case it's not that difficult to navigate and remains a substantial improvement over NYP in some ways.

It's a shame that so much of our beautiful architecture has been destroyed. You know, you go to Europe and they have centuries-old buildings, and we tear a lot of what we have down.
Its rather discouraging how much was destroyed in the past for little or no reason other than to make more money. These days it seems like were a little more enlightened when it comes to saving what was built in the past but we still suck at creating new structures that aren't ugly or drab.

I've stood exactly where that picture was taken, and can't begin to wrap my head around how different it looks today.

The next person to travel through there should stand in that spot and take a picture.
All you get now is a bunch of recordings, saying, "Track 12, Track 12,Track 12,Track 12,Track 12, . . . "
Those recordings drive me nuts, granted that for me it's a short drive. I will be through CUS in August. I can hardly wait for the cacophony!!! :rolleyes:
I still don't understand the meaning of those endless overlapping announcements that don't seem to be tied to any particular purpose or event. Its not like you can go anywhere once you find the gate anyhow.

Crescent - Chicago has absolutely GORGEOUS architecture. If you have enough time, you should catch one of the river boat architecture tours.
Agreed!

Ditto on the Hancock Center. The view, in my opinion, is much cooler, and the line is maybe ten minutes versus two hours. It's only ten stories shorter, which is pretty negligible at that height.
Ive never waited two hours to visit the Sears (Willis) Tower, which I find to be more appealing and interesting than the Hancock building. Its also much closer to the station so you can check the line on the way into the city. If you feel the line is too long then you can go on about your way and check again on your way back. You can also skip the line entirely if you buy the city pass.

After several visits to Union Station, I finally figured out that those repeating track announcements are ADA requirements for the benefit of blind people.

Last edited:
After several visits to Union Station, I finally figured out that those repeating track announcements are ADA requirements for the benefit of blind people.

I would hope blind folks would have actual assistance from redcaps and such instead. If my sight was gone and I ended up with a heightened sense of hearing those loud and constantly overlapping announcements would be as appealing as fingernails on a chalkboard. I've never seen anything like that at any other train station or bus station or airport or seaport. What on earth is a blind person supposed to do when they reach the gate? They can't go anywhere without permission from the gate dragon anyhow.

Blind people don't like having assistance. Ask Steve Hostolis (sp?) the blind guy who (IIRC) advocated for putting those things in.

Great ideas and lots of good info here as always, thanks! Time constraints will probably help (!!) us decide what to do and how far to venture, considering our caution/paranoia about not getting back in time to catch the train. I'm glad we have sleeper tickets so we'll be led to it from the lounge; no complaints about kindergarten here! We'll be there on a July Saturday, so touristy things may be more crowded than at some other times.

We are both trying to take the attitude that anything we get to see or do during our layovers is just a bonus. I've drummed into my friend's head that trains are often late. At first I was worried that she would not like four or five straight days of "train," she's not a fan like most of us are, but she's a laid back person and is really excited about going. I hope nothing happens that would make her have to cancel. (She babysits but supposedly arrangements have been made for that.) Also, she is a smoker but says she can manage.

Again, thanks!

Those announcements are not fit for purpose. You can hear about six of them simultaneously overlapping. Really incomprehensible and does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back