Proposal for Extending Crescent to SAS & Improving TE schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Southeast has taken the worst of the train cuts since 1970 (as I noted in another thread). Unfortunately, this is because there is *still* very little political support for train service in most of the Deep South.

Atlanta can't be bothered to actually build a new intercity train station, or to try to get back any of its (numerous) lost services -- and it's the biggest city in the region.

Atlanta/Georgia politicians see no future benefit to travel by rail. Additionally, I am sure that the Delta Air Lines lobby is very strong in the area so the politicians do not want to make DAL upset by expanding passenger rail. Interestingly, Deltas more rural flights within Georgia have decreased from 10 - 15 years ago, so increased rail could bring people to Atlanta for long distance and overseas flights.

I don't think Delta ought to really care. Even a vast expansion of local rail service around Atlanta will not register as even a blip on Delta's balance sheet. Indeed it might enable them to dump some more perennially money losing puddle jumpers around there.

There are other reasons for the obduracy of the Atlanta politicians,

With the upcoming Sunset Limited schedule change (http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/66564-sunset-limitedtexas-eagle-schedule-change/), I excitedly thought that would set up for a better transfer in NOL between the SL and Crescent. Then I got the NOL times backward.

My goal is to create a more friendly SL-Crescent transfer opportunity. Currently it is

19-1: 7:32pm to 9:00am

2-20: 9:40pm to 7:00am

Also, they recently proposed a new extension of the CONO to Florida.

http://www.newsherald.com/assets/pdf/DA2111216.PDF

Assuming the SL is not extended to Florida, here are the transfers from the CONO-SL between LAX/Texas and Florida

19-58: 9:40pm to 1:45pm

59-2: 9:30am to 9:00am next day

Not only would 59-2 be an overnight, it would be as close to a full day as you can get!

My goal now would be to shift the SL schedules to better connect not only with the Crescent but with the CONO.

The westbound SL (1) would have to leave NOL after 7:32pm (19 arrival). It would still be a lousy layover for the CONO but anything is better than a 23 hr 30 min layover. The eastbound SL (2) would have to arrive in NOL before 7:00am (20 departure). When I did this before with a previous schedule, it required an arrival in NOL in the graveyard shift. This will not change unless the Crescent eastbound/northbound would be pushed back from 7am.

Using straight hour shifts on the current SL:

1 (back 10 hrs): NOL 11:00pm, HOU 8:18/8:55am, SAS 2:05/4:45pm, El Paso 3:22/3:47am, Tucson 8:45/9:35am, Maricopa 10:52/11:02am, Palm Springs 4:02pm, LAX 7:35pm

2 (forward 8 hrs): LAX 6:00am, Palm Springs 8:36am, Maricopa 1:30/1:40pm, Tucson 3:28/4:15pm, El Paso 11:10/11:35pm, SAS 12:50/2:25pm, HOU 7:10/8:10pm, NOL 5:40am

The connection between the 2 and 20 is just 1:20. I would hope Amtrak would guarantee it. Maybe they can move the Crescent back. A 3 hr shift back leaves NOL at 10:00am, ATL at 11:04pm, and arrives in NYP at 4:46pm, barely beating the rush hour. The WAS arrival would be 12:53pm, which would still leave plenty of time for a transfer to the CL. 3 hours may not be necessary, maybe 1-2 would be OK. You can't arrive in NOL any earlier than 5:40am without pushing the LAX departure before 6am.

The eastbound LAX departure goes from 10:00pm to 6:00am which could be worse but the arrival time is way better. The SAS times are way better. El Paso would be the biggest loser, at least westbound (eastbound barely is before midnight).

By now I can hear most of you yelling about the Texas Eagle connection. My thought is the TE/SL connection is really just for Texas. No normal person would take the TE/SL from CHI to LAX. STL can use Missouri River Runner to SWC. Even if you couldn't do 313-3 and 4-314 as shown in the timetable, 311-3 would be 9:15am to 8:15am two days later with approximately an 8 hr layover in KCY while 316-4 would be 6:15pm to 9:40pm two days later with approximately a 9 hr layover in KCY. Both are still way quicker than STL-LAX on the TE (8:00pm to 5:35am three days later, 10:00pm to 7:19am three days later). Aside: They should really reschedule 313 and 314 to allow more leeway with the SWC.

So here's what I would do with Texas:

Use my SL schedule above.

Establish through cars or a shuttle requiring a transfer between DAL and SAS using the TE route. This is counter to the PRIIA which had the shuttle between NOL and SAS.

Return the TE to CHI-SAS only.

This would increase expenses but the added benefit would then be that DAL-SAS would now be twice daily (or at least on the SL days if you didn't want to run these trains on days the SL doesn't run).

New 401 (6 hr shift from 21): DAL 5:50am, Ft. Worth 7:25/8:10am, Austin 12:30pm, SAS 3:55pm

New 402 (9 hr shift from 22): SAS 4:00pm, Austin 6:31pm, Ft. Worth 10:58/11:20pm, DAL 12:20am

Current DAL-LAX times: 11:50am-5:35am 2 days later

New DAL-LAX times: 5:50am-7:35pm 2 days later

Current LAX-DAL times: 10:00pm-3:20pm 2 days later

New LAX-DAL times: 6:00am-12:20am 2 days later

I have cut 4 hrs from the schedule due to not having a nearly 6 hr layover in SAS although the eastbound schedule is 1 hr longer although if the layover in Ft. Worth is reduced that might be less.

The southbound 21 takes 10 hrs (1.5 hr layover in Ft. Worth but the northbound takes 8 hrs (1 hr layover in Ft. Worth). If we can do that train in 8 hrs each way with a minimal layover in Ft. Worth, you can run approx. 6am-2pm south and 4pm-midnight north. If you could get the southbound train to SAS by 1:30pm you not only could transfer in SAS west to LAX but possibly east to HOU/NOL (and connect in NOL for both the Crescent to the NEC and the proposed CONO extension to Florida). I think 4pm will allow enough time for a transfer from both the east/west SL.

Certainly there would be added expense for a new DAL to SAS train to either connect with the SL or allow for a transfer in SAS but you add a second frequency to the route. Another possibility for a shuttle would be instead of DAL to SAS but DAL to HOU. This would allow quicker service for DAL eastbound but longer westbound (plus Austin would be left out and you would have to find a DAL to HOU route).

So obviously there will be winners and losers but I feel the winners outweigh the losers. All of a sudden, NOL becomes a decent transfer point and there would be two ways to go from the NEC to LAX (via CHI or via NOL). Florida to LAX (assuming CONO extension to Florida) requires a long layover in NOL but it would be shorter than what it would be now.

As an alternate maybe split a Crescent train 419 & 420 at Meridian, Ms. That will give service to Jackson, Vicksburg, Shreveport, Dallas, Connect to the TE at Dallas. This still adds SAS as a direct connection and a very large population base to the Crescent

That eliminates Houston as a thru train but at least passengers can get present connections. Also another thruway bus from Longview - Houston or even the present thruway buses..

Last edited by a moderator:
A thought would be that terminate the Crescent at Marshall / Longview. That would save a consist of a train 419 - 420. It would have to be studied to see if operating costs there would be less than DAL. Lay over facilities, car loco maintenance costs etc.

As an alternate maybe split a Crescent train 419 & 420 at Meridian, Ms. That will give service to Jackson, Vicksburg, Shreveport, Dallas, Connect to the TE at Dallas. This still adds SAS as a direct connection and a very large population base to the Crescent

That eliminates Houston as a thru train but at least passengers can get present connections. Also another thruway bus from Longview - Houston or even the present thruway buses..
The Thruway bus gets into Dallas Greyhound at 3:40am from Meridian (10:45pm departure to Meridian). For the Meridian-Dallas schedule to give a decent schedule into Dallas the train would have to arrive about 4 hrs earlier or 3 hrs later than the bus.

I don't see much gain of a through train stopping at Longview. It's only another 127 miles and about 3 hrs to Dallas.

For reference, the Texas Eagle - Sunset Limited through cars plan is really for Texas, not for Chicago-LA, but specifically there's some very large markets:

DFW or Austin - LA

DFW or Austin - Arizona

DFW or Austin - New Mexico

These are huge, huge travel markets.

For reference, the Texas Eagle - Sunset Limited through cars plan is really for Texas, not for Chicago-LA, but specifically there's some very large markets:

DFW or Austin - LA

DFW or Austin - Arizona

DFW or Austin - New Mexico

These are huge, huge travel markets.
I figured that was the case but I feel 401-1 and 2-402 if 401 and 402 are scheduled properly would take care of that and get rid of the nearly 6 hr layover in SAS and the 2:45am departure from SAS and 5:35am arrival into LAX.

Right. You need a maintenance base in Dallas for that plan, though. :-(
Well currently the Heartland Flyer terminates in Ft. Worth although looking at the times the start and end times it probably gets serviced in Ft. Worth and then goes back out the same day and is stored overnight in Oklahoma City.

Depending on how fast you can go between DAL and SAS, it looks to be almost impossible to have the same train set arrive in SAS and leave the same day. You'd probably have to have two sets with a set going into SAS one day and then leaving for DAL the next day.

The TE is 314 miles each way. If you can get it to 8 hrs each way, the ideal times would be 6am-2pm and 4pm-midnight to allow connections with both of my proposed eastbound and westbound SL (it would be through cars to the westbound but you should be able to transfer to the eastbound). I don't know if 7 hrs each way is possible.

Assuming its through cars DAL-SAS, is it possible to branch off only coach cars and a cafe without the sleepers? That would save having to store sleeper cars in the Dallas area. What is done now with the LSL and EB splits? The worst case would then be to just have a day train without sleepers between DAL and SAS and force a transfer in SAS although it would be in the afternoon and the layover would be less than the current layover in SAS of nearly six hours. I'm sure Texas won't like having to transfer in this scenario but I believe the PRIIA is going to force passengers east of SAS to transfer in SAS and according to their schedules that would be 11:00pm-1:10am west and 6:50-7:50am east, neither is pleasant IMO.

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/970/304/PRIIA-210-SunsetLtd-TexasEagle-PIP,0.pdf

If you assume the CONO gets extended to Florida, any passenger from Florida to LAX will have to transfer twice, once in NOL and once in SAS with the NOL transfer requiring an overnight stay. In the old days, you were able to go cross country with no transfers. Under my plan, that would be one transfer in NOL. The westbound layover would be long (about 14 hrs) but would not require an overnight stay and would be way shorter than the 23 hr, 30 min it would be. There would be almost no additional traffic between Florida and California (or Arizona and New Mexico) under this scenario (it would probably not be much faster than the current nightmare of going north to WAS and west to CHI).

I'm interested in the Crescent plan as it's my college train. What I see as the ideal solution for it would be to extend a section to FTW over the Kansas City Southern. Then extend the Heartland Flyer to SAS from FTW. One extra set is needed for the Flyer. And one set is saved from the section if the timetable works out. And FTW-SAS gets two trains a day. And we know ridership will be helped by that.

I'm interested in the Crescent plan as it's my college train. What I see as the ideal solution for it would be to extend a section to FTW over the Kansas City Southern.
Is that the Meridian to Dallas route others have discussed?

Then extend the Heartland Flyer to SAS from FTW. One extra set is needed for the Flyer. And one set is saved from the section if the timetable works out. And FTW-SAS gets two trains a day. And we know ridership will be helped by that.
Well my proposal calls for breaking the TE-SL connection at SAS and creating a second DAL-SAS train to connect/through cars to the SL at SAS. Would you have the Heartland Flyer hook up with my new SL schedule at SAS? If so, it would have to leave DAL early in the morning to reach SAS by the afternoon and would arrive in DAL late at night right before or just after midnight. Then the OKC times would be in the middle of the night (around 2am southbound and 4am northbound). I'd probably keep the Flyer a train connecting to the TE at FTW using the current schedule than try to connect it to my new SL schedule and make the train much less attractive to OKC.

I wonder if it would be possible to extend the Heartland Flyer to HOU though. This is the timetables.org schedule from 1994 when they ran through cars DAL-HOU: http://www.timetables.org/full.php?group=19941030n&item=0031

Travel time between DAL and HOU was 6:45 south and 6:40 north. First, the Flyer would have to get to DAL. If you assume 8 hrs from FTW to HOU, you'd arrive in HOU around 9pm and have to leave HOU around 9am. My proposed SL eastbound leaves HOU for NOL at 8:10pm and the SL westbound SL arrives in HOU from NOL at 8:18am. You would probably have to leave OKC going south and arrive in OKC later but you could have the HF for OKC/DAL/FTW to NOL and with my new schedule better connections to the Crescent and CONO. Now that would require state funding unless you want to use it as a second SL shuttle. Then you could have 401/402 be DAL-SAS to connect with the SL at SAS and 501/502 be OKC-HOU to connect with the SL at HOU. Unlike 401/402 which if scheduled properly could connect with the SL in both directions (to/from LAX and to/from NOL), 501/502 would only be practical to/from NOL.

In the old days, you were able to go cross country with no transfers. Under my plan, that would be one transfer in NOL. The westbound layover would be long (about 14 hrs) but would not require an overnight stay and would be way shorter than the 23 hr, 30 min it would be. There would be almost no additional traffic between Florida and California (or Arizona and New Mexico) under this scenario (it would probably not be much faster than the current nightmare of going north to WAS and west to CHI).
Other than the brief period when Amtrak ran the Sunset to Florida, how long back was it when it was possible to travel from California to Florida without at least one and possibly two changes? Certainly by the 60s it required two changes to get to anywhere in Florida other than JAX, and the connection in NOL was horrendous to the faster of the two trains to JAX, and the slower train to which the connection was good took 22 hours to get to JAX from NOL and did not carry any Sleepers!. Effectively you got to Miami on Day 5 if you left LAX on Day 1. I wonder even how many railfans went through that ordeal

In the old days, you were able to go cross country with no transfers. Under my plan, that would be one transfer in NOL. The westbound layover would be long (about 14 hrs) but would not require an overnight stay and would be way shorter than the 23 hr, 30 min it would be. There would be almost no additional traffic between Florida and California (or Arizona and New Mexico) under this scenario (it would probably not be much faster than the current nightmare of going north to WAS and west to CHI).
Other than the brief period when Amtrak ran the Sunset to Florida, how long back was it when it was possible to travel from California to Florida without at least one and possibly two changes? Certainly by the 60s it required two changes to get to anywhere in Florida other than JAX, and the connection in NOL was horrendous to the faster of the two trains to JAX, and the slower train to which the connection was good took 22 hours to get to JAX from NOL and did not carry any Sleepers!. Effectively you got to Miami on Day 5 if you left LAX on Day 1. I wonder even how many railfans went through that ordeal
I don't know if 12 years (1993-2005) counts as a brief period. I guess it depends on how old you are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_Limited

I would rather no one be forced to transfer. But I think it's more "fair" for the DAL-SAS portion to be forced to transfer than the NOL-SAS portion, especially if the transfer is a better time of the day than the proposed SL-TE transfers at SAS. Hopefully we'll see the proposed CONO extension to Florida so you wouldn't have to go all the way north to CHI to get from Florida to Texas even if you have an overnight layover in NOL.

I guess I don't think of any of Amtrak's time as old time :) What I find interesting is that the LD network that remains differs very little from the corresponding routes and timings of Pre-Amtrak days. Tis is in huge contrast to development in say Asia and Europe. I suppose it is a result of what is essentially a stagnant system that is just puttering along somehow.

A proposal would be put some Sunset cars onto the Crescent. Take the cars to Atlanta, then continue Sunset from Atlanta - Savannah / or Jacksonville. Then combine Sunset at either SAV or JAX with Palmetto and go to Miami. Would serve much higher population centers and give ATL Florida service.

Also fewer new train miles and new stations. Give a route that is longer but about same amount of time NOL - JAX.

There would be no need for any train schedules to change but ATL station with two trains same time ............????????????

A proposal would be put some Sunset cars onto the Crescent. Take the cars to Atlanta, then continue Sunset from Atlanta - Savannah / or Jacksonville. Then combine Sunset at either SAV or JAX with Palmetto and go to Miami. Would serve much higher population centers and give ATL Florida service.

Also fewer new train miles and new stations. Give a route that is longer but about same amount of time NOL - JAX.

There would be no need for any train schedules to change but ATL station with two trains same time ............????????????
I had suggested Atlanta to Florida service previously:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/66344-revisiting-boston-florida-servicenec-to-fl-via-charlotte/?p=635903

The only question in my mind is why would anyone in their right mind put together such a Rube Goldberg scheme? :p

Thinking about starting something between Atlanta and JAX preferably via SAV makes quite a bit of sense. But sending Sunset Limited cars for a general tour of the South makes no sense at all. Just IMHO of course.

The only question in my mind is why would anyone in their right mind put together such a Rube Goldberg scheme? :p

Thinking about starting something between Atlanta and JAX preferably via SAV makes quite a bit of sense. But sending Sunset Limited cars for a general tour of the South makes no sense at all. Just IMHO of course.
Pick your poison, NOL to Florida via ATL where you would need to establish service from ATL to JAC (or ATL to Savannah) or use the SL East route. Which is easier to implement? Certainly in terms of obtaining new train miles, west point is correct as it would be fewer new (or reintroduced) miles.

My problem is with using Sunset Limited cars. It was a problem in the original Sunset East and it will continue to be a problem no matter which way you send it.

As for the relative difficulty of starting services in the real world, one route has an active process in place and the other route is being discussed basically by foamers and no one else, and requires funding from a state that is one of the most strongly opposed to rail service. Guess which one is easier to get going ;)

My updated plans are attached.

SL schedule changed for better connections in NOL east and better arrival time in LAX (departure time may be worse).

SL/TE connection broken but through cars DAL-SAS connect with the SL in SAS and the wait time is shorter going west (2:55-4:45pm).

Heartland Flyer extended to HOU and times changed to connect with the SL in HOU (Seaboard92 suggested OKC-SAS and I thought it wouldn't work but then I came up with the HOU extension). I used an old TE schedule from 1994 (http://www.timetables.org/full.php?group=19941030n&item=0031) for a rough schedule. If Oklahoma/Texas don't want to spend the money, either consider it part of the SL or create an OKC-NOL train which would be > 750 miles.

If you have both the new DAL-SAS train and the DAL-HOU extension of the Heartland Flyer, then DAL/FTW can go to the west via SAS (through cars) or east via HOU (transfer). Going DAL to ORL or ATL would require transfers in HOU and NOL but currently it also requires two transfers (CHI and WAS). Therefore, I was able to have the DAL-SAS branch leave DAL later and arrive in DAL earlier because I didn't need for the train to catch the SL the other way.

Some additional possible combos using my proposed schedules:

NYP-HOU (19/1): 2:15pm to 8:18am two days later (43 hrs, 3 min)

NYP-SAS (19/1): 2:15pm to 2:05pm two days later (48 hrs, 50 min)

CHI-HOU (59/1): 8:05pm to 8:18am two days later (36 hrs, 13 min)

ORL-HOU (58/1): 4:15pm to 8:18am two days later (41 hrs, 3 min)

ORL-SAS (58/1): 4:15pm to 2:05pm two days later (46 hrs, 50 min)

ORL-LAX (58/1): 4:15pm to 7:35pm three days later (76 hrs, 20 min)

ATL-HOU (19/1): 8:38am to 8:18am next day (24 hrs, 40 min)

ATL-SAS (19/1): 8:38am to 2:05pm next day (30 hrs, 27 min)

ATL-LAX (19/1): 8:38am to 7:35pm two days later (61 hrs, 57 min)

ORL-DAL (58/1/822): 4:15pm to 4:05pm two days later (48 hrs, 50 min)

ATL-DAL (58/1/822): 8:38am to 4:05pm next days later (32 hrs, 27 min)

NOL-DAL (1/822): 11:00pm to 4:05pm next days later (29 hrs, 5 min)

The ORL times are longer because the layover in NOL is longer for the CONO to the SL than the layover in NOL for the Crescent to the SL. The goal was to connect the Crescent and SL. The SL-CONO connection (if you assume the CONO extension to Florida comes to fruition) was improved as well in both directions. I didn't think too hard about CONO south to SL west until I realized CHI-HOU and the schedule does line up better than the current CONO/SL connection (currently 3:32pm to 9:00am next day, proposed 3:32pm to 11:00pm same day). I wanted to do CHI-DAL-HOU using the extended HF but the northbound HF just missed the northbound TE in DAL and the southbound TE would give you just 30 minutes in DAL.

This is a dream scenario schedule so you don't need to tell me Amtrak doesn't have the money or equipment since that's obvious. I feel my proposed SL with the already proposed CONO extension to Florida would be way better than what we have right now. Of course some would lose but I feel the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks (feel free to argue).

Sunset Limited Reschedule Proposal January 2016.pdf

Attachments

• Sunset Limited Reschedule Proposal January 2016.pdf
    182.1 KB · Views: 7
I guess I push the 750 mile rule because I would like to believe (maybe unjustifiably) that Amtrak would add shorter day routes with high potential (Texas routes, Florida routes, 3-C) if they weren't hampered by the 750 mile rule. They don't require the sleeper cars that are in short supply. My proposals would re-introduce DAL-HOU service and double DAL-SAS service, both of which require state funding. The only new trains that Amtrak can start without state funding are the > 750 mile LD trains that require sleepers they don't have and in general are less popular and lose more money than shorter regional trains. With airplanes, customers are more likely to ride a train for 3-4 hrs than a whole day or more.

Of course the fact that Amtrak has done nothing with 3-C in the almost 30 years before PRIIA dispute that theory.

Back