Price Difference and Question on Picking up Tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aktrainfan

Train Attendant
:unsure: Hi Fellow Trainites, I wanted to pick your intellegent, ever knowing brains about my upcoming trips. I am taking the "train" from LAS-DEN next month, and although I haven't bought my ticket yet, I plan on doing that tomorrow. Where can I pick up my actual ticket if I am leaving next week? I can't have it sent to me, I'm in Alaska, I'm scared it may not get here in time. I think I can just print out a confirmation email, right? I can always get my actual ticket when I'm in Anaheim, since my friend and I are considering taking the PS down to San Diego for a day.

As for the other part of our trip, I was waiting until my points got deposited into my account, I just bought some because the agent I spoke with the other day suggested I do that, since it was only $275 for 10k points, and they are having a promo where we got 3000 bonus points! With our existing and transferred pts, we have enough to do a roommette from LAX-SEA!

Ok..well the first part of my trip, I will be booking a roommette on the SWC from Vegas to Denver. I understand that the portion between Vegas & Kingman, AZ involves a van, and then the train, and then a bus. My question is...why is it so darn expensive?

Case in point; If we had to pay for both of us and not use pts between LAX-SEA it would have been $430 something, and with my other itinerary for just myself, it's $489 leaving on a Saturday! Wow, that's spendy. I keep wondering if I should just fly into Denver from Vegas now, although I really want to experience the SWC!! The other option is, I could just get a coach seat, but I want to have privacy and meals included....(spoiled after being on the CS this summer) :lol: Alright, that's pretty much it, I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening! :hi:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ticket prices are often based on capacity and seat fill.

Generally, the earlier you book, the cheaper the price

except in times when Amtrak knows the ridership will be high.

I hope you have a good trip.

Hi,

When you buy your ticket online, you recieve an email with a reference number and barcode.You can print out your ticket at any Amtrak fast-trak machine located at most stations, or an agent can print it out at a station with staff... some are unstaffed. You can check facilities for all stations at amtrak dot com.

You do need to obtain a proper ticket, the email confirmation is not accepted as a valid ticket. I believe that you need to insert the original card used to buy the ticket online, but I can't remember if you need the barcode/reference as well...

Sleeper prices are rather steep, and rise as more rooms are sold on each train, midweek travel tends to be less expensive.

Ed :cool:

Hi,

I believe that you need to insert the original card used to buy the ticket online, but I can't remember if you need the barcode/reference as well...

Ed :cool:
Actually, what you'll need is the barcode from the reservation printout and a valid I.D., as long as you have prepaid for the ticket(s). If you use the QuickTrak, simply scan the barcode, follow the instructions on the screen, and the tix will print. If you use an agent, they usually ask to see your I.D. Be sure to sign the tickets in the upper left-hand corner before they are collected.

Ed - if you're using QuikTrak, you can use either the credit card used to buy the ticket(s) or the barcode. I forgot my barcode once, and I was able to just swipe my card. When my boyfriend traveled on my dime, he just had to scan the barcode.

Ed - if you're using QuikTrak, you can use either the credit card used to buy the ticket(s) or the barcode. I forgot my barcode once, and I was able to just swipe my card. When my boyfriend traveled on my dime, he just had to scan the barcode.
I didn't know that either. I've always used my barcode. :hi: Thanks for the 411 :hi:

... Davy

Ok..well the first part of my trip, I will be booking a roommette on the SWC from Vegas to Denver. I understand that the portion between Vegas & Kingman, AZ involves a van, and then the train, and then a bus. My question is...why is it so darn expensive?
Checking Amsnag, it looks like rail fare runs about $173 (except for a few $205 days) for a one-month period starting on the tenth of next month but roomette prices vary from $153 to $316, a much bigger variation. Since almost everyone can find some sort of rail fare discount, you can see that the biggest variable is the room charge. You picked a bad day.

Keep checking the prices and contact Amtrak if they go down. You can rebook at the lower price. Also, if your days are flexible, use Amsnag to check alternate days to get the best deal.

I think I can just print out a confirmation email, right? I can always get my actual ticket when I'm in Anaheim, since my friend and I are considering taking the PS down to San Diego for a day.
You can print out the confirmation email, but you will need an actual ticket on the train. And yes, you could pick them up in Anaheim or San Diego, or any Amtrak station.!

I didn't know that either. I've always used my barcode. :hi: Thanks for the 411 :hi:

... Davy
You technically don't even need the card you paid for the reservation either. All you need a credit or debit card with the person travelling's name on it. However, in this case you need the reservation number, as the Quick-trak machine will ask for that, then it'll find your reservation and print your ticket. You can also use your AGR card to swipe, and it'll read that. This is very handy, when someone else makes a reservation for you and pays for the ticket, like Sorcha did, and that person still doesn't have a printout with the barcode on it.

Hi Aktrainfan welcome to AU, I am not sure about your itenerarary or how tight your scheduling is, if you are going to wait for your points from your first trip to post, be advised that points do not post immediately, they can take up to 6 weeks to post. The other thing I was thinking why are you burning points to take such a short trip? It looks like around only 10 hours of daylight on the train. Vegas is known for cheap airfare why not fly out of Vegas to Albuquerque or Seattle or anywhere else so you get to spend more quality time on the train instead of a bus. Sea to,or Abq to Denver cost the same points as the trip you are proposing. Any way just one mans thoughts. I hope you enjoy your trip whichever trip you take. But I would sure try to get a better value for my points. Happy rails to you!

Thank you to everyone who responded so quickly and with such valuable information and advice! I really truly appreciate it! Ok, so that's good to know, once I purchase my fare, I can print out the confirmation and use the barcode to get the tickets. I should remember this from our prevous trips, but we don't get that often. It's also good to know that I can use the same credit card to get them as well. :rolleyes:

Me Little Me, thanks for the link to "Amsnag" I had never heard of this before!! Wow! I looked at the time period that I could be flexible, which is only about 4 days from the date I want to leave, which is Saturday the 9th. I can see that the least expensive is Monday, where the room would be an additional $207, which would be a total of $380. It's a little over $100 difference between Saturday, but another thing I have to consider is the fact that if I stay in Vegas for those extra days (3 nights) I will be paying my cousin for my share of the room, which would be $150, plus food, but if I go to my nieces on Saturday, I'll be staying with her at no cost. The other option is to just fly there from Vegas, which would be a lot cheaper and a lot faster, but I really wanted to experience the SWC, and that particular route. I don't mind the van and bus, I think it's all part of the adventure!

As far as using points, (by the way, I already have them in my account!!) we would be using them for our final Amtrak trip, which would be from LAX-SEA, which I think is worth it!! If we had to pay, it would be $439, but I guess I could also use them for the other first trip (LAS-DEN) and then just pay the cheaper deal for my husband and I?? Arrrrhhhh!! I want to get our reservations done TODAY so if you could help me decide, I would appreciate it! I"m just wanting to get it done!

Gratefully, Kelly

:giggle: Did it! Booked the Coast Starlight #14 all the way from LAX-SEA for the end of March! I went ahead and redeemed the points for this trip...I'm glad it's done! We'll be in Room # 3, is that good?

Now to get the air booked from SEA-ANC, and the rest of my trip, including the LAS-DEN portion...I'm leaving out of state on my month long trip this week, so I need to get everything done ASAP! :D

:unsure: Hi Fellow Trainites, I wanted to pick your intellegent, ever knowing brains about my upcoming trips. I am taking the "train" from LAS-DEN next month, and although I haven't bought my ticket yet, I plan on doing that tomorrow. Where can I pick up my actual ticket if I am leaving next week? I can't have it sent to me, I'm in Alaska, I'm scared it may not get here in time. I think I can just print out a confirmation email, right? I can always get my actual ticket when I'm in Anaheim, since my friend and I are considering taking the PS down to San Diego for a day.

As for the other part of our trip, I was waiting until my points got deposited into my account, I just bought some because the agent I spoke with the other day suggested I do that, since it was only $275 for 10k points, and they are having a promo where we got 3000 bonus points! With our existing and transferred pts, we have enough to do a roommette from LAX-SEA!

Case in point; If we had to pay for both of us and not use pts between LAX-SEA it would have been $430 something, and with my other itinerary for just myself, it's $489 leaving on a Saturday! Wow, that's spendy. I keep wondering if I should just fly into Denver from Vegas now, although I really want to experience the SWC!! The other option is, I could just get a coach seat, but I want to have privacy and meals included....(spoiled after being on the CS this summer) :lol: Alright, that's pretty much it, I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening! :hi:

I don't understand your plan. How are you travelling from LAS-DEN then LAX-SEA? How are you picking up tickets in Anaheim?! How are you doing all this while starting out in Alaska?

We'll be in Room # 3, is that good?
Yes, Roomette #3 is on the upper level, in the center of the car and right next to the sleeping car attendant's room! Be sure to visit the Pacific Parlour Car (PPC)!
cool.gif

And to answer SH's question, they stated they are flying into SEA!

I don't understand your plan. How are you travelling from LAS-DEN then LAX-SEA? How are you picking up tickets in Anaheim?! How are you doing all this while starting out in Alaska?
sorry for the confusion...it I'm leaving this week for a travel agent seminar in Anaheim. Actually, I'm going to Disney first for 3 nights with a friend, then attending the seminar. After it's over, I'm heading to Vegas to see my sister (who's also from Alaska) and my cousin who will also be there. I will be there for about 5-6 nights, then heading to CO to visit my niece for about 2 wks. That's when I would be taking the SWC. My niece's husband has training in Disneyland through a Chevy dealership, so they are flying to Anaheim, so I'll be flying back with them. My husband will be flying down to meet me for that portion of the trip, and then we decided to celebrate our 21st anniversary by taking the train from Anaheim-LAX then from LAX-SEA with the Coast Starlight! Whew! :giggle:

sorry for the confusion...it I'm leaving this week for a travel agent seminar in Anaheim. Actually, I'm going to Disney first for 3 nights with a friend, then attending the seminar.
I'm going to go out on a limb here a bit and assume that you are indeed a travel agent. If so, are you aware that Amtrak provides for heavily discounted familiarization trips? More details can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back