President Elect Barack Obama

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to the President congratulate Obama on the radio. No matter what you may think of him, and most of that is tainted by politics, he is very gracious and warm in situations like this and more politicians could learn from it. I think he was mostly dealt a bad hand by circumstances and in the environment we have been discussing here it was a given he would be "hated" by the opposition almost no matter what happened. Not that Clinton was so well liked either. The fault can easily be spread around. I mean can you fathom how in world war I and II the hollywood types supported the war with great music and nostalgic movies. Now we get hate em songs and horror stories. Its almost like who's side are we on? Something, perhaps selfishness that has grown to be a national pastime has replaced pride in the total country no matter what its president.
Bush? I have seen about as much sincere warmth out of him as I've seen from the inside of a commercial-grade frigidaire. I met him once. He must be the most icy person I have ever encountered. Which is impressive, cuz I've encountered mirrors.

I suspect Al Gore's name to be floated- even if they have to create a 'secretary for the environment'. I don't know if he'd take such a post- but II'll be my bonnet they'll ask him to do something.
Are there historical examples of former Vice Presidents taking cabinet positions?

There's already a certain amount of overlap between what the Secretary of Energy and Secretary of Transportation need to do if we want to import less petroleum. Having a Secretary of the Environment to tell us we need to burn less petroleum just seems redundant, though granted there are other environmental issues, and maybe some of them even have less overlap.
Its not JUST about gas y'know? Its about conservation of resources, development of recyling programs, keeping a check on corporations, and preservation of our nation's natural parks and restoration of them. A Secretary of the Environment may also carry clout overseas.

These are all things that various programs and bodies have some power over- EPA, Energy, and Transportation, but the power is FAR from consolidated and is FAR from being effective. Absorb all of that power into one office that provides oversight and has more executive power.

I suspect Al Gore's name to be floated- even if they have to create a 'secretary for the environment'. I don't know if he'd take such a post- but II'll be my bonnet they'll ask him to do something.
Are there historical examples of former Vice Presidents taking cabinet positions?

There's already a certain amount of overlap between what the Secretary of Energy and Secretary of Transportation need to do if we want to import less petroleum. Having a Secretary of the Environment to tell us we need to burn less petroleum just seems redundant, though granted there are other environmental issues, and maybe some of them even have less overlap.
Its not JUST about gas y'know? Its about conservation of resources, development of recyling programs, keeping a check on corporations, and preservation of our nation's natural parks and restoration of them. A Secretary of the Environment may also carry clout overseas.

These are all things that various programs and bodies have some power over- EPA, Energy, and Transportation, but the power is FAR from consolidated and is FAR from being effective. Absorb all of that power into one office that provides oversight and has more executive power.

Sounds to me like Interior should be expanded (move EPA under it, among other things), if not renamed altogether.

Yesterday, I drove 50 miles to Bellevue (Omaha) NE, most notably the SAC Air Force Base city. I went to 140 doors of complete strangers, I then was sent to 3 different polling places to find out "how many" voters had already voted. I relayed that news back to my campaign supervisor. When I was done with the door to door "hanging placards" on Democrats and Independents homes, I then called 200 people all over the age of 55 asking them "if" they had voted, if they knew where thier polling place was, and "if" they needed a ride. I did this not because I think Obama is the worlds greatest thing since sliced bread nor did I do it because people might think I hate John McCain (I don't at all) I did it because I simply love my country! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably too soon, but anyone have any ideas on cabinet members who will be selected by the president elect?
Tommy Tompson for Sec of Transportation., would be nice anyway

Bob
That was the position that Tommy really wanted under the Bush Administration. Sadly it was not to be.
He may have a shot at it this time.

Sounds to me like Interior should be expanded (move EPA under it, among other things), if not renamed altogether.
I could live with that, at least then the power is consolidated.

Let's see... a former Vice President? Well I don't know about any former VP's in a cabinet position, but I could see Chaney appointed as Director of Alcohol, Tabacco & Firearms! :unsure:

Seriously, I heard on TV a suggestion made that Obama should consider John McCain as Secretary of Defense! Sounds like an idea that could bring the kind of bi-partisan cooperation in Washington that Obama has stated he wants!

On Edit: Second Paragraph Added

Let's see... a former Vice President? Well I don't know about any former VP's in a cabinet position, but I could see Chaney appointed as Director of Alcohol, Tabacco & Firearms! :unsure:

Seriously, I heard on TV a suggestion made that Obama should consider John McCain as Secretary of Defense! Sounds like an idea that could bring the kind of bi-partisan cooperation in Washington that Obama has stated he wants!

What qualifications does McCain have to be Secretary of Defense?! He has foreign policy credentials- maybe good for Secretary of State, but all he's done military wise is yell "We won't surrender!" which is ( a ) Not what an Obama administration wants and is ( b ) not what the people want.

Just because he's a war hero, and I'll be the first to recognize his heroism, does not mean he should be in charge of the bureaucracy behind the entire military...

What qualifications does McCain have to be Secretary of Defense?! He has foreign policy credentials- maybe good for Secretary of State, but all he's done military wise is yell "We won't surrender!" which is ( a ) Not what an Obama administration wants and is ( b ) not what the people want.

Just because he's a war hero, and I'll be the first to recognize his heroism, does not mean he should be in charge of the bureaucracy behind the entire military...
Sorry that I can't tell you who made the statement about McCain as Secretary of Defense, so I can't refer you to them! As for my statement that followed, I was not alluding to his qulifications or lack thereof, but rather commenting about Obama's position of bi-partisianship! Now that you've made your point, I would have to say that I agree with you that he (McCain) would probably make a good Secretary of State! :)

Sorry that I can't tell you who made the statement about McCain as Secretary of Defense, so I can't refer you to them! As for my statement that followed, I was not alluding to his qulifications or lack thereof, but rather commenting about Obama's position of bi-partisianship! Now that you've made your point, I would have to say that I agree with you that he (McCain) would probably make a good Secretary of State! :)
I think Hillary would be a better Secretary of State however I doubt she would readily abandon her senate seat.

I highly doubt that the Secretary of State would be a Republican. I can imagine the other departments having various Dem/GOP combinations- but Secretary of State is the only one I'd say is a granted Dem.

And the Joint Chiefs of course too!

It's a horrible idea to put the losing candidate in the winner's cabinet. This is how the VP was initially chosen. The Constitution had to be amended to correct that; and while I'm not sure it hasn't ever happened at a cabinet level, it'd seem to be common sense to avoid it at all costs.

I realize it's a fine balancing act for a "change candidate" to select a team, lest he end up with an inexperienced Carter Cabinet. But are all these career Senators the answer? I'm okay with Gore and Lugar, but now I'm hearing rumors about Kerry on a shortlist? (dear god not Kerry as Secretary of State)... that'd be a great way to instill some buyers' remorse.

So our troops don't keep having new "secretaries", we need Gates to stay put. He knows whats going on and has did alot better job than Rumsfeld. That would be bi-partisan and the stability our troops need at this important time.

So our troops don't keep having new "secretaries", we need Gates to stay put. He knows whats going on and has did alot better job than Rumsfeld. That would be bi-partisan and the stability our troops need at this important time.
And there does seem to be some serious speculation that Gates may well be asked to stay on in the Obama administration, af least for the first year, if not longer.

I don't think that Mr. McCain would consider a position in Barack's cabinet if asked, although if there was ever a loosing candidate who probably could make it work and work well, it probably is John McCain.

But I suspect that he'll feel that he can be far more effective and productive for this country by retaining his seat in the Senate. Senator McCain does have a reputation for trying to reach over aisle as it were, and therefore could do far more IMHO to try to get the Senators to play nicely with one another, and to help move needed legislation through the Senate. I for one believe that was exactly what he was thinking when he gave his concession speech last night and mentioned looking forward to working with the new administration.

Besides, while I rather doubt that he'll ever succeed, I'd like to at least see him continue to try to get some reform in Congress that shuts down or at least limits the influence of lobbyist’s. He’s climbing one huge mountain to make it happen, but I certainly applaud his valiant efforts. And maybe if we voters start making it an issue, by letting every candidate know that “we the people” want this, maybe just maybe he’ll finally succeed. It would certainly make one heck of a legacy for him if he could pull it off!

Yesterday, I drove 50 miles to Bellevue (Omaha) NE, most notably the SAC Air Force Base city. I went to 140 doors of complete strangers, I then was sent to 3 different polling places to find out "how many" voters had already voted. I relayed that news back to my campaign supervisor. When I was done with the door to door "hanging placards" on Democrats and Independents homes, I then called 200 people all over the age of 55 asking them "if" they had voted, if they knew where thier polling place was, and "if" they needed a ride. I did this not because I think Obama is the worlds greatest thing since sliced bread nor did I do it because people might think I hate John McCain (I don't at all) I did it because I simply love my country! :rolleyes:

Yes! Get Tommy Thompson!!! :)

While Tommy Thompson may be good for Amtrak, I don't think he would be good for rail overall.

Back during his time as governor of Wisconsin, he was very ANTI-light rail. He's one of the reasons that Milwaukee was unable to capitalize on several hundred million dollars in federal funding (most of which is still waiting to be spent, after 18 years) to build a light rail system.

During one of his campaign speeches in the mid-1990s he promised that "not one dime" would be spent even studying the possibility of having light rail in Milwaukee.

Being anti-rail is seriously a religion in Wisconsin. While I won't say that Thompson started that religion (I don't necessarily know if he did or didn't, as I don't know where that sentiment really started), he was certainly a member of the church of rubber tires and almighty asphalt.

I think we could do much better.

Being anti-rail is seriously a religion in Wisconsin.
I don't think it is all of Wisconsin. Mostly I think it is just Waukesha County. Racine and Kenosha counties seem pretty much for the KRM commuter line. Dane County (Madison) likes rail and is pushing for the new Amtrak stop, as well as serious studies for commuter rail. Northeast Wisconsin seems, at the very least, not opposed to a rail line connecting Green Bay and the Fox Cities to Milwaukee.

So, I think it is just Waukesha that is afraid of light rail.

And there does seem to be some serious speculation that Gates may well be asked to stay on in the Obama administration, af least for the first year, if not longer.

I think that may be the case- but not much longer. The Obama administration would be wise to cut EVERY tie to Bush it could... ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back