Predicting a "consist..."

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another reason I prefer the roomette is that I prefer the bed to be parallel with the windows instead at a 90 degree angle as in the bedrooms.
I always book 2 connecting bedrooms for the 2 of us 'cause I prefer sleeping perpendicular to the tracks. In the roomettes, you roll side-to-side, but in the bedroom it's head-to-toe so you don't notice the rocking so much. And a rather panoramic view with all the windows when the "wall" is open. I even have my own "coach key" to close and lock it at night for privacy. Do the A/T at least 8-times-a-year.
I wonder if a single traveler who could (and wanted to) afford it, could book a double just for themselves... I mean, yes, it would be "paid for," but it might also be denying service to other potential passenger(s). I can see where Amtrak might want to accommodate as many people as possible. After all, the more people on board, the more money made on meals and other concessions....

Anyway....
Seems to me if you're willing to pay big bucks for a sleeper, even a suite, you'd be the ideal Amtrak pax. If for no other reason than they claim to lose $$$ on F&B.

Personally, I've discovered I prefer roomettes to the superliner bedrooms. I prefer to sleep parallel to the tracks (I like the rocking) and the superliner upper bunks are BEYOND uncomfortable. Also, my last several experiences with private bathrooms in the superliner cars have been ... unpleasant. I don't know if I managed to get the same bedroom in the same EXACT car twice in a row (I don't keep track of rolling stock the way my husband does), or if it's a known issue in superliners, but twice now the shower has had a slow drip, which results in the floor of the toilet area being constantly wet, wet toilet paper (because the drips just run down the wall and behind the useless little TP cover), and wet personage when using the toilet. Color me weird, but I'd rather use a shared toilet in a larger space. That said, to each their own, and yes, the superliner bedroom cars are oriented seemingly at random, but the last few trips I was on, there were a number of empty bedrooms at any given time. I'd say worst case scenario, ask your car attendant if you can be relocated to a differently facing bedroom.

Personally, I've discovered I prefer roomettes to the superliner bedrooms. I prefer to sleep parallel to the tracks (I like the rocking) and the superliner upper bunks are BEYOND uncomfortable. Also, my last several experiences with private bathrooms in the superliner cars have been ... unpleasant. I don't know if I managed to get the same bedroom in the same EXACT car twice in a row (I don't keep track of rolling stock the way my husband does), or if it's a known issue in superliners, but twice now the shower has had a slow drip, which results in the floor of the toilet area being constantly wet, wet toilet paper (because the drips just run down the wall and behind the useless little TP cover), and wet personage when using the toilet. Color me weird, but I'd rather use a shared toilet in a larger space. That said, to each their own, and yes, the superliner bedroom cars are oriented seemingly at random, but the last few trips I was on, there were a number of empty bedrooms at any given time. I'd say worst case scenario, ask your car attendant if you can be relocated to a differently facing bedroom.

This got me to thinking. At first, I would react to this statement by saying, "by the time we get to the boarding point, all the rooms are usually already assigned. The attendant would have to see if someone would be willing to switch." And then I thought, while that may be true on the AutoTrain, it may not necessarily be all that true on the other long distance trains. So I might have some luck with it. We'll see.

What does "predicting a consist" mean?

Why can people not use descriptive and understand subject lines?

Do some carriers charge extra if you use to many words?
No offense, but most of these terms are pretty well known. Don't confuse your not knowing certain words/terms with people being deliberately obtuse or confusing.

We notice all the bedrooms sell out first. Maybe in the distant future Amtrak can order some sleepers configured all bedroom ?
As I said in another thread, all Bedroom Superliner sleepers do exist, though they are only used on Auto Train. I guess that layout must work well on that route. There probably are others.

We notice all the bedrooms sell out first. Maybe in the distant future Amtrak can order some sleepers configured all bedroom ?
As I said in another thread, all Bedroom Superliner sleepers do exist, though they are only used on Auto Train. I guess that layout must work well on that route. There probably are others.
And I have slept in one before. They do exist on the Auto Train. I think the lettering continues I-J-K-L-M-N or something like that.

And I have slept in one before. They do exist on the Auto Train. I think the lettering continues I-J-K-L-M-N or something like that.
Yep. It's 14 Bedrooms on the upper level, labeled A through N.

14? I thought they had 10.

14? I thought they had 10.\
Sorry, 10. It's A-B-C-D-E J-K-L-M-N. I have no idea why they skipped F through I.

14? I thought they had 10.\
Sorry, 10. It's A-B-C-D-E J-K-L-M-N. I have no idea why they skipped F through I.
Probably due to the H room still existing in the car.

This got me to thinking. At first, I would react to this statement by saying, "by the time we get to the boarding point, all the rooms are usually already assigned. The attendant would have to see if someone would be willing to switch." And then I thought, while that may be true on the AutoTrain, it may not necessarily be all that true on the other long distance trains. So I might have some luck with it. We'll see.
I have switched bedrooms for folks on long distance trips in the past.

Why not do I through M then?
Because I could be too easily confused with 1.

You'll notice many (most? possibly all?) airlines with widebody planes don't use a seat letter I either.
Pretty standard across the board. Here in my engineering department, we skip "I" on revisions because it can be confused with "1". In my opinion, those capcha form things (to prove you're a human online) should skip 1, I, and l; as they can all look the same.

peter

Im sorry to break the news, but AlanB passed away approximately one month ago. He was stricken while on the Crescent entourage to New Orleans. RIP. He was certainly a good guy.
Not hijack this thread but I must say that I am very sorry to hear about the passing of Alan. In a couple of meetings I found him to be very knowledgeable about train travel and a nice guy. R.I.P.
Sent from my XT1585 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Back