Predicted effect of Thursday winter weather on NE Corridor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
conspiracy.jpg
About those Gourmet Hamburgers Mr Boardman....... (Name of Congresscritter omitted to protect the Guilty!) :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got up and looked out the window. Snow is at least a foot in my yard here in NW Baltimore. Weather underground snowfall map is showing 16 inches. And it's still snowing/sleeting (I think they call it "ice pellets.") This isn't quite Snowmageddon, but it's getting there. So I think maybe Amtrak had the right idea to cancel the trains. (And let's not forget all the flights that have been cancelled, and the fact that our governor told us to stay off the highways lastnight.

It's not just weather threads on AU that make me think of the Neil Young lyrics "Like A Hurricane"

Once I thought I saw you in a crowded hazy bar
Dancin' on the light from star to star
Far across the moonbeam I know that's who you are
I saw your brown eyes turnin' once to fire

You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer where the feelin' stays
I wanna love you but I'm gettin' blown away

I am just a dreamer but you are just a dream
And you could have been anyone to me
Before that moment you touched my lips
That perfect feeling when time just slips
Away between us and our foggy trip

You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye
Blown away

You are just a dreamer and I am just a dream
You could have been anyone to me
Before that moment you touched my lips
That perfect feeling when time just slips
Away between us on our foggy trip

You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye

http://www.metrolyrics.com/like-a-hurricane-lyrics-neil-young.html

Now we are at the border of 8-14" and 10-18", with some ice/sleet/rain in between. Fortunately NEC is in an area around here that will get much less, but probably more ice and sleet. So we'll see. Currently NEC service has upto half hour delays. NJT Midtown Direct has 30 to 60 min delays, but all still operating.

The Morris and Essex Line which hosts the Midtown Direct Service runs through areas that will receive well over a foot of snow, maybe even more than 1.5 feet in places.

NJT just suspended all bus service in Essex County temporarily to help in facilitating road clearance.

The reduced service on the NEC is operating sort of OK. One Acela and one Regional, both northbound are bot over 2 hours late. Regional 130 which is operating with the ACS-64 #600 is running 36 mins late through NJ. Rest are less than 30 mins late.

I will say that my H was on the 66 one day this week and there was a frozen switch near 128. They had to wait for a while until it got unstuck.

When we lived in DFW, ice storms were a regular occurrence. Even so, you'd think that the bubbas and soccer moms in their 4wd pickups and SUVs had never seen ice. Watching those fools pointlessly and futility spinning all four wheels, going nowhere faster & faster, was pure joy to watch. It seemed that the IQs dropped with the temperature, multiplied by the number of drive wheels.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Southern RI has had 2 inches or so of snow, but now it's ice and/or rain and near freezing. Afterwards, it will change back to snow. Its a mess.
Its snowing pretty heavily in PVD right now. Probably about an inch an hour. Roads are a disaster, but then again, the roads in our fine capital city have left something to be desired for the past two weeks.

Just got up and looked out the window. Snow is at least a foot in my yard here in NW Baltimore. Weather underground snowfall map is showing 16 inches. And it's still snowing/sleeting (I think they call it "ice pellets.") This isn't quite Snowmageddon, but it's getting there. So I think maybe Amtrak had the right idea to cancel the trains. (And let's not forget all the flights that have been cancelled, and the fact that our governor told us to stay off the highways lastnight.
When I went out and measured, it was 14 inches. Not quite Snowmageddon, but a lot of snow, and it was wet. Then it started raining while I was shoveling. I did get my car cleared out, but I'm dreading a little tomorrow's commute. Friday's my early day,so I usually take light rail from Baltimore Penn to my neighborhood where my wife picks me up. (That's so she doesn't have t deal with the 5 PM rush hour traffic jam.) Let's just hope the freeze tonight doesn't mess up the NEC too badly.

About 14 inches on ground here in lancaster pa on top of about 8 from prior storms. 42 on time by here and 645 running about 10 minutes late enroute Harrisburg. Do not get to say this very often - congratulations Amtrak for storming through the mess!

For once Appalachian Ohio wins - 42 and sunny,,, the 8 inches on the ground is melting,,,,,

We always called our part of the world "_____ Florida" (insert ethnic euphemism of your choice) - "not warm enough to get a tan in winter but we don't have to shovel much." Except this winter - but at least grandson #2 has been kept gainfully employed clearing the Olympic ski jump that is my driveway.

Here in Central Massachusetts, I have no other way to measure it than my 85 lb. black lab. It is up to his belly with snow drifts over his head. LOL So I figure we have 14-16 inches and it is still snowing and the wind is howling, so branches and snow drifts could start to become an issue with all trains in the area.

Snowing heavily again in cvs for about an hour now. Wet this time & accumulating rapidly. South ound Lynchburger probably ends at was. Some slow freight traffic on ns line - not much. I think there's a ner trainset in lyn from last night. Big globs coming now...

Rain is back here in Delaware. Will turn to snow and we could have an additional 6" by morning. I didn't bag up my work laptop since I will probably work from home again tomorrow.

Chatham, New Jersey, 24 miles west of New York City, received 13 inches of new snow

overnight and today. More snow coming tonight.

I thought that you moved to Florida to get away from that stuff! :D

(On a completely unrelated note, we were just up that way a few weeks ago (in Millburn) - nice area up that way)

Edit: I was replying to Dick.

That statement will hold true for me too this time next year if everything goes according to plans. :)

I am the one in Millburn, since Short Hills is the shall we say ahem... the more exclusive half of Millburn ;)

Best of luck in that.

My parents were supposed to be flying back here from Hawaii tonight (we flew out together before Christmas). They called yesterday and said "Too much snow - we moved our tickets to March 12th, we'll be home then. :D )

Thatb statement will hold true for me too this time next year if everything goes according to plans. :)

I am the one in Millburn, since Short Hills is the shall we say ahem... the more exclusive half of Millburn ;)
When you move to Florida I know a Good Lawyer in Orlando that Works Cheap! (And Loves Trains!) :lol:

Thatb statement will hold true for me too this time next year if everything goes according to plans. :)

When you move to Florida I know a Good Lawyer in Orlando that Works Cheap! (And Loves Trains!) :lol:
Lemme think..... Hmmmm... Who'd that be? Does she have something to do with Whole Foods too?

Lemme think..... Hmmmm... Who'd that be? Does she have something to do with Whole Foods too?
Just be careful. She may make you do Yoga positions in lieu of payment. :lol:

Just be careful. She may make you do Yoga positions in lieu of payment. :lol:
I good at doing the proper pose to say "Namaste" That should keep her happy ;) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back