Potentially dumb questions from a 1st time overnight rider...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd jump at the chance if Amtrak offered an open sleeper system; I'd even be happy if it didn't come with meals.
THIS! I would LOVE to have a Basic Sleeper option on Amtrak, like it is offered on trains in Europe and Asia. I don't need the privacy of entire room to myself, I don't even want complimentary meals. All I want is a flat bed to sleep at night. Makes train journeys 10x more comfortable and fun. I've done tons of overnight journeys in India in open-plan sleepers and would jump at every opportunity to do again.
Yeah, your probably in the minority in the US when it comes to sharing with strangers. People freak out about having to sit with people they don't know in the dining car, let alone get nasty about giving up the seat next to them on a full train. Americans are about personal privacy. Same thing goes for on ships and ferries. Cabins in the US are sold to the individual/family and the the rest of the world shared. Same goes for hostels. Popular around the world but not so much here.

Its difficult to get people in business who know each other to share a hotel room. When the VP of our company suggested that the company bring all the Project Managers across the country to the home office for a week long training session, he suggested that instead of getting almost 100 rooms, have people double up using 2 bed hotel rooms. The up roar was unbelievable. There were threats of filing a law suit against the company. Couples today don't even want someone else at home using their sink. My wife and I and our three kids share one bathroom with one sink. We had a waist high chain link fence for the dog, but all the neighbors talked to each other and watch each others homes, but today, home buyers want solid 6 to 8 foot privacy fences. They are afraid someone next door might see them. The rest of the world will share, get to know each other, help each other, enjoy the opportunity to meet new people.

Its difficult to get people in business who know each other to share a hotel room. When the VP of our company suggested that the company bring all the Project Managers across the country to the home office for a week long training session, he suggested that instead of getting almost 100 rooms, have people double up using 2 bed hotel rooms. The up roar was unbelievable. There were threats of filing a law suit against the company. Couples today don't even want someone else at home using their sink. My wife and I and our three kids share one bathroom with one sink. We had a waist high chain link fence for the dog, but all the neighbors talked to each other and watch each others homes, but today, home buyers want solid 6 to 8 foot privacy fences. They are afraid someone next door might see them. The rest of the world will share, get to know each other, help each other, enjoy the opportunity to meet new people.
I won't share a hotel room with friends either. For me, I need a place to get away from the clowns, and not be stuck with them 24 hours. I wouldn't put up with sharing hotel rooms at company events either. I don't think most companies do that.

Professional Sports Teams,Wal-Mart and Bain Capital (Mitt Romney)used to make overnight business travelers share rooms.

Thanks to strong Unions, Pro Athletes no longer travel in Steerage, but Im not sure about Waly and Mitt World now days?

Any Big Companies still do this?

Professional Sports Teams,Wal-Mart and Bain Capital (Mitt Romney)used to make overnight business travelers share rooms.

Thanks to strong Unions, Pro Athletes no longer travel in Steerage, but Im not sure about Waly and Mitt World now days?

Any Big Companies still do this?
Many fixed that problem by cutting their travel budget to zero and giving everyone a headset to attach to their laptops to Skype away :D

HR plus Legal advised several companies I know to make the move to single rooms. Motorola used to have retreats where a corporate house would be rented on a lake or in the mountains. There were several beds in each bedroom. Each team was assigned a meal, there would be presentations in the morning, teams building in the afternoon, plus boating or golfing or both. My friends at Motorola told me several years ago, these retreats were eliminated by HR based on personal privacy, personal hygiene, and potential sexual orientation issues. My friends said everyone always enjoyed these 5 day getaways, for the friendships, the educational aspect, and the opportunity to become more team oriented, AND just the fun of getting away from the offices..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back