Planning on trip on the Crescent in coach, experiences in coach?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on traveling from Tuscaloosa, AL to Hartford, CT pretty soon and I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences on the crescent coach seats only? It seems everyone has had a roomette or some room and I would really like to know what it is like through coach since it's much cheaper! Thank you! Also are there outlets in every seat? That is one of my main concerns!

We recently took a similar trip, Atlanta to New York on the Crescent in coach. There were outlets at every seat when we rode, though I'm not sure if there is still equipment like the Crescent uses that hasn't been refurbished with outlets yet. I found coach to be pleasant. I was a little tall for it to be completely comfortable, but the pillow they gave us was adequate, it wasn't loud, particularly by about midnight, the seats are big enough that it's almost like your own little cubicle. I wasn't able to get to sleep till about Charlotte, partly due to excitement, and I slept best when the train was moving and woke up when we stopped. Make sure to bring at least a jacket, coach can get quite cool at night, and you have to buy blankets, they don't provide them. They do dim the lights, but there is still minimal lighting, and some of the stations can be fairly lit up.

It has been years since hubby and I rode the Crescent in coach, but I doubt it's changed that much in the meantime. We found it absolutely acceptable and enjoyed the rides. There is so much more room than on an airplane, and you are free to get up whenever you wish. We never needed to check any luggage. The seats were comfortable and the windows large. We preferred sitting farther back in the car so we could see out of many windows, rather than sitting close to the front. The passengers we met were pleasant and friendly. We ate in the dining car and enjoyed that very much as a very memorable part of our trips. (Coach passengers have to pay for meals; their cost is included with sleeper tickets. There is also a cafe or lounge car that serves food items, or you can bring your own food aboard.)

We rode from either Atlanta or Anniston to New Orleans and back many times, and once did a round trip ATL-Meridian. We made one round trip Anniston-Washington, DC in a sleeper. The roughest stretch of track is in Mississippi (or maybe just into Louisiana?), but you'll miss that. We never traveled overnight in coach, but I don't think one night would be a problem for most people. As suggested, you may want to bring a small blanket or throw for cover.

On my very first coach trip, my children and I traveled with a friend and her children ATL-NOL, and the different coach cars seemed to have distinct sorts of passengers in each. We jokingly nicknamed them:

"The First Class Car" (ours)-- The passengers all seemed to be neatly dressed, polite, and alert.

"The Slounger Car" (next car)-- Passengers looked a little tired, harried, or a bit rumpled.

"The Sloucher Car" (car after that)-- Some people were sprawled over seats sleeping in the daytime, didn't look too fresh or well groomed, and a few were very loud.

Seriously, we wondered if the "Sloucher Car" held the passengers that had been on the train in coach all the way since departing NY. ??

On later trips I never noticed much difference between cars. I guess it was just coincidence on that first trip. However, I was everafter careful to dress neatly for the train. :) Didn't want to be directed to the Sloucher Car. (just kidding)

Hubby had mobility limitations later and we reserved the accessible compartment on all our trips then. The Amtrak attendants were always very friendly and helpful. The only problems I recall on any of these trips were the air conditioning not working in our sleeper once (they moved us to a bedroom), and on one trip the train collided with a car that had gone around a gate (killed the pregnant driver, very sad). This happened in Alabama and caused a couple of hours delay in addition to being upsetting for everyone. One other time we arrived a few hours late into NOL but I don't remember why, and we didn't really mind.

Long distance train is not the way to go if you are stressed about being exactly on time, but it's a much more pleasant and interesting way to travel than flying. Relax and enjoy the ride.

I don't recall about the electric outlets but it's my understanding that most cars have them now. Best wishes for a great trip!

It has been years since hubby and I rode the Crescent in coach, but I doubt it's changed that much in the meantime. We found it absolutely acceptable and enjoyed the rides. There is so much more room than on an airplane, and you are free to get up whenever you wish. We never needed to check any luggage. The seats were comfortable and the windows large. We preferred sitting farther back in the car so we could see out of many windows, rather than sitting close to the front. The passengers we met were pleasant and friendly. We ate in the dining car and enjoyed that very much as a very memorable part of our trips. (Coach passengers have to pay for meals; their cost is included with sleeper tickets. There is also a cafe or lounge car that serves food items, or you can bring your own food aboard.)

We rode from either Atlanta or Anniston to New Orleans and back many times, and once did a round trip ATL-Meridian. We made one round trip Anniston-Washington, DC in a sleeper. The roughest stretch of track is in Mississippi (or maybe just into Louisiana?), but you'll miss that. We never traveled overnight in coach, but I don't think one night would be a problem for most people. As suggested, you may want to bring a small blanket or throw for cover.

On my very first coach trip, my children and I traveled with a friend and her children ATL-NOL, and the different coach cars seemed to have distinct sorts of passengers in each. We jokingly nicknamed them:

"The First Class Car" (ours)-- The passengers all seemed to be neatly dressed, polite, and alert.

"The Slounger Car" (next car)-- Passengers looked a little tired, harried, or a bit rumpled.

"The Sloucher Car" (car after that)-- Some people were sprawled over seats sleeping in the daytime, didn't look too fresh or well groomed, and a few were very loud.

Seriously, we wondered if the "Sloucher Car" held the passengers that had been on the train in coach all the way since departing NY. ??

On later trips I never noticed much difference between cars. I guess it was just coincidence on that first trip. However, I was everafter careful to dress neatly for the train. :) Didn't want to be directed to the Sloucher Car. (just kidding)

Hubby had mobility limitations later and we reserved the accessible compartment on all our trips then. The Amtrak attendants were always very friendly and helpful. The only problems I recall on any of these trips were the air conditioning not working in our sleeper once (they moved us to a bedroom), and on one trip the train collided with a car that had gone around a gate (killed the pregnant driver, very sad). This happened in Alabama and caused a couple of hours delay in addition to being upsetting for everyone. One other time we arrived a few hours late into NOL but I don't remember why, and we didn't really mind.

Long distance train is not the way to go if you are stressed about being exactly on time, but it's a much more pleasant and interesting way to travel than flying. Relax and enjoy the ride.

I don't recall about the electric outlets but it's my understanding that most cars have them now. Best wishes for a great trip!
Mostly I agree with crescent2 - have had several comfortable long distance coach rides - including 2 MSP-SEA 36-hour rides.

It is likely - but not for sure - that there will be convenient electric outlets.

Bring your own lunch - walk around the train - hang out in the lounge car -- and if you arrive a few hours late or minutes early - no sweat.

I'm hopefully planning to sit in like the absolute front or maybe the back. I just don't want someone to lean their seat back then I have a meal on my tray like an airplane. I don't mind the dirty bathrooms nor the long trip. I'm 18 and my dad and I have traveled by car doing a 24 hour trip from Rhode Island to Mississippi and back. Does anyone know if they assign seats? and also is it likely I'll be able to have two seats to myself or is it guaranteed I'll have to sit next to someone?

Seats will not be assigned per se. You will be assigned a car depending on your destination.

Not likely you will have two seats north of Atlanta.

I repeat, center of the car is more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back