Planning another trip West

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that no-one suggested the "train time" route.

Amtrak still gives the Texas Eagle - Coast Starlight routing for Chi-PDX.

Maximum train time for those AGR points.

Of all your options, I would choose from the options that go through LA.

The Coast Starlight is still the premier train, and route in the country. Enjoy it for as long as you can!

I'm surprised that no-one suggested the "train time" route.

Amtrak still gives the Texas Eagle - Coast Starlight routing for Chi-PDX.
Yes, but....that's one day that we lose in Portland. We depart after D4 is done at work on Friday, and she has to be back 9 days later on Monday.

Yes, the route was through Amtrak.com. It didn't appear when I clicked on the "Book with points" (or whatever) option.
When you use the "book with points" option on Amtrak.com, you won't get any results that include a connection, or the sleeper option, since those have to be booked via phone if you're using points.

Pretty sure if that gives zero results, a message will appear suggesting calling the AGR phone number -- but since Empire Bulder coach can be booked with points online for CHI-PDX, there's no message. There probably should be an "additional route and amenity options may be available" message, but I'm not sure if that's possible between Arrow and the website programming.

If we do bedroom (as I'm thinking I'd like to), on the CS would they be on the left (West) side of the train, or is that a totally random thing?
Random
Is it truly random or merely unmanaged? I've never tried but if you tracked a given consist it seems quite possible it could remain largely intact for weeks or even months at a time.

Is a two hour layover enough to guarantee a departure on the CS?
It wasn't for me when I took the SWC/CS last summer. To make matters worse, the conductor lied about Amtrak holding the CS, and passengers were only made aware there was no train when we pulled up next to an empty track. There was a busstitution from LAX to Bakersfield and the San Joaquin to meet the CS in Martinez, north of San Francisco. I'll probably never take the SWC westbound again because of this. That said, I'd probably take something east out of LAX, because I didn't get to see the new lounge there in the fracas of getting forced onto a bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a two hour layover enough to guarantee a departure on the CS?
It wasn't for me when I took the SWC/CS last summer. To make matters worse, the conductor lied about Amtrak holding the CS, and passengers were only made aware there was no train when we pulled up next to an empty track. There was a busstitution from LAX to Bakersfield and the San Joaquin to meet the CS in Martinez, north of San Francisco. I'll probably never take the SWC westbound again because of this. That said, I'd probably take something east out of LAX, because I didn't get to see the new lounge there in the fracas of getting forced onto a bus.
We considered connecting with the CS on our trip this spring, but didn't want to risk bustitution -- a strong likelihood for us, since Murphy is always a devoted and loyal travel companion. We're taking the Surfliner down to San Diego to spend a couple days with a friend, instead. Then we will *reluctantly* get on a plane at LAX to visit the relatives in Idaho.

I came in on the SWC to LAX on Friday morning 1:05 late. I did get a ride to the elevator to the Metro lounge to try to get wifi - (failure). I then got the ride to the CS and was in my roomette 10 minutes before departure. We were 3 minutes early to SLO and had to wait for the southbound CS to clear the station. We arrived in KFS 50 minutes early even though we left SAC at 12:20.

I'm glad that they served breakfast on the SWC starting at 5AM since I would not have had the time to go to Phillipes.

I'm glad that I got the chance to ride the SWC and not spend many hours waiting in the SAC station for more than 3 hours since I don't like wandering around Sacramento after 9PM when the jail does their release.

I did get wifi on the PPC#4 at least until we got past SLO. Ate breakfast sitting at the KFS station waiting for departure time.

I came in on the SWC to LAX on Friday morning 1:05 late. I did get a ride to the elevator to the Metro lounge to try to get wifi - (failure). I then got the ride to the CS and was in my roomette 10 minutes before departure. We were 3 minutes early to SLO and had to wait for the southbound CS to clear the station. We arrived in KFS 50 minutes early even though we left SAC at 12:20.

I'm glad that they served breakfast on the SWC starting at 5AM since I would not have had the time to go to Phillipes.

I'm glad that I got the chance to ride the SWC and not spend many hours waiting in the SAC station for more than 3 hours since I don't like wandering around Sacramento after 9PM when the jail does their release.

I did get wifi on the PPC#4 at least until we got past SLO. Ate breakfast sitting at the KFS station waiting for departure time.
Not much time between KFS and CMO! Glad everything worked out for you.

I got up from breakfast soon after we started moving from KFS. I brushed my teeth and got to my roomette in time to see a Bald Eagle near the south end of Upper Klamath Lake.

The view of the sunrise from the lounge car at 7AM was very nice. The wifi in the PPC was not active in the morning until Jay showed up for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back