Picture - Fall Timetable Cover at Harpers Ferry W.V.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry434

Train Attendant
Some of you may be interested in my photo that was used on the front cover of the Fall timetable. Because it was printed as a portrait some of the scenery is lost from the original. This photo was also used in a Amtrak brochure call " America is Beautiful" July 2007.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=124706

AMTK_204_P030.jpg.67741.jpg

A beautiful fall day at Harpers Ferry with the foliage near peak.Eastbound Capitol Limited is about to enter the tunnel after crossing the Potomac River. The day I took this picture CSX was replacing the rails on track #2. Note equipment next to the engines.

A few more rail pictures, most Harpers Ferry WV. http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=8170

Terry Tabb

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry,

My girlfriend and I and her 18 year old daughter was sitting around the kitchen table last night looking at pics of Amtrak and different routes. I have this brouchure and couldn't believe how beautiful of a pic it is. The daughter wants to take a trip and she would say "Seattle" and the I would get the brouchure out that has a pic of Seattle in it. (not the fall timetable but one that I got last week in CHI from the get together) She would say "LA" and then I would turn to the page to the SWC. She was squellling with delight when she would see the pictures of the LSL (NY) Cardinal (WAS) etc. So hopefully I have her a little excited about train travel after taking the CZ this past summer. Thanks for such a wonderful pic!

Absolutely beautiful! One of the nicest Harpers Ferry / rail pictures I've seen. I'll second the thought about using the picture for a puzzle.

Congrats!

Deimos

I'm glad to have met you - that photo is a "wall hanger". My hat is off to you as another serious rail fan and photographer [hasselblad - remember?]

Were thinking about a fall color trip from Chicago east. I was considering the Capitol limited return and it appears to be a good choice. Can you recommend any trips with noteworthy fall scenery making a round trip from chicago, or even from new orleans? I wondered about the short lines into vermont but they appear to be very short rides. Not nuts about the LS but maybe the Hudson Valley would be worth it in fall. Or going west on the Cardinal and then into the east coast area and return.. Any thoughts on a good scenic ride?

Go east on the Cardinal, not west. Going west, all the good stuff will hit after dark.

As for the LSL, there's nothing like the view of the Palisades in the fall if you time it right. But the Capitol is also a fine choice for leaf peeping.

Were thinking about a fall color trip from Chicago east... I wondered about the short lines into Vermont but they appear to be very short rides. Not nuts about the LS but maybe the Hudson Valley would be worth it in fall. Or going west on the Cardinal and then into the east coast area and return.. Any thoughts on a good scenic ride?
You could consider the Adirondack, from New York City to Montreal, which includes the Hudson Valley. You'd need to overnight at Montreal, but could transfer to the LSL westbound at Schenectady on your way back.

That could go nicely after taking the Cardinal or the Capitol Limited eastbound from Chicago.

Is there a usual time that its safe to make a trip for fall foliage up east? It seems it comes sooner there than here in the middle west?

LOVE the picture. Apparently from the side of Jefferson's Rock that most photographers ignore.

I've never used a pic as wallpaper until this one. Yes, it's that good. However, after three days I ahd togo back to the XP screen. Why? A lot of my icons look like 'city' features, and they got lost in the [city of] Harpers Ferry part of the picture.

LOVE the picture. Apparently from the side of Jefferson's Rock that most photographers ignore.
I've never used a pic as wallpaper until this one. Yes, it's that good. However, after three days I had to go back to the XP screen. Why? A lot of my icons look like 'city' features, and they got lost in the [city of] Harpers Ferry part of the picture.
I do rail pictures all the time as "wallpaper", but I use a smaller picture that doesn't cover the entire screen so I can still see my icons and gadgets.
This is the one I have right now.

302907121_rSTpW-XL.jpg

Show us your desktop if you have a unique one with rail stuff on it.

How easy is it to access that location overlooking the rivers and bridges, might be passing that way soon and it looks a top location for a photo!

How easy is it to access that location overlooking the rivers and bridges.....

Hi Neil,

The only way up Maryland Heights is to hike. It takes over an hour unless you take a steeper trail from the back of the tunnel.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=124706

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=154676

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=162041

Terry Tabb
Ok, cheers for that. Is there a marked path or is it just a case of follow your nose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back