Philly To Kissimmee

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, you can have more than 2+2 in a family b/r, albeit uncomfortably. The service standards manuals have the numbers for both berth and daytime usage only formats. 6 is the max for berth, so yes they would need a minimum of 2 spaces, but the family room + a lower roomette could work depending on their sizes and comfort levels.
I'm on the website... if we are talking about the same thing, they are making me purchase 4 roomettes... which comes over 2K.

The viewliner bedroom states that it can only hold three. For some reason, its still wants me to buy 4. But even if I only got 2 and sat out by myself, it would still eclipse the money spent, coming to around $1700. I might have to call to verify some things.

Thanks.
You want a family bedroom (4 beds, 2 of them child-size), not a regular bedroom. There's only one per sleeping car, and it might be sold out for the date you're looking at.

Here's what's officially allowed in rooms during berth service (at least as of the latest version of the Service Standards Manual that I have - 10.1):

lndyndf.png

zKv3dqB.png

Note that the website may not allow all of these, since the website will only allow one person per bed. You'd have to call in if you want one of the other options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you say it's the Star that costs a few hundred more? If so (which is unusual), the Meteor would be the better choice for sure. Even if the Meteor is the one that is a few hundred more, that might still be better, because meals are included in the sleeper price. From Philly, you will get lunch, dinner, and breakfast in the dining car for each person in the sleeper. On the Star, you need to buy your food unless you bring it with you.

Actually, you can have more than 2+2 in a family b/r, albeit uncomfortably. The service standards manuals have the numbers for both berth and daytime usage only formats. 6 is the max for berth, so yes they would need a minimum of 2 spaces, but the family room + a lower roomette could work depending on their sizes and comfort levels.
I'm on the website... if we are talking about the same thing, they are making me purchase 4 roomettes... which comes over 2K.

The viewliner bedroom states that it can only hold three. For some reason, its still wants me to buy 4. But even if I only got 2 and sat out by myself, it would still eclipse the money spent, coming to around $1700. I might have to call to verify some things.

Thanks.
You want a family bedroom (4 beds, 2 of them child-size), not a regular bedroom. There's only one per sleeping car, and it might be sold out for the date you're looking at.
I didn't see it on there, so more than likely it was.
default_sad.png

Might have been too pricey anyway.

Is the "family bedroom" that people are mentioning here what is called the "Viewliner Bedroom Suite" on the Amtrak website? (They take the partition down between two regular bedrooms?)

If so, that might be the confusion in why it doesn't come up as a "family bedroom," which is usually referring to something on the Superliners and not the Viewliners.

Also, if it is two regular bedrooms made into one, I think there would be four beds, but all regular size?

Is the "family bedroom" that people are mentioning here what is called the "Viewliner Bedroom Suite" on the Amtrak website? (They take the partition down between two regular bedrooms?)

If so, that might be the confusion in why it doesn't come up as a "family bedroom," which is usually referring to something on the Superliners and not the Viewliners.

Also, if it is two regular bedrooms made into one, I think there would be four beds, but all regular size?
No. We're referring to the Superliner Family Bedroom, which has two adult berths and two child berths. The Silver Meteor and Star use Viewliners, so it's not available on those trains, but if they were to take the Auto Train, it would be an option, since it uses Superliners.

oh, I see--thanks, cpotisch. I had forgotten about the Auto Train being one of the trains discussed here, so was confused because I knew there are no family bedrooms on the Viewliners.

Enterprise in my area advertises that they will pick you up. So if you take the train to Kissimee, wouldn’t the Enterprise office in Kissimmee come pick you up? Probably they wouldn’t pick up all 7, but at least one could go get the car while the others wait at the Amtrak station.

Sometimes, but not always, Enterprise will pick you up in the vehicle you are renting. This lets you put your luggage in and not move it at the office. Varies by the type of office, and the pickup location. High volume locations like an airport, it would not be practical.

Enterprise in my area advertises that they will pick you up. So if you take the train to Kissimee, wouldn’t the Enterprise office in Kissimmee come pick you up? Probably they wouldn’t pick up all 7, but at least one could go get the car while the others wait at the Amtrak station.
Hopefully, they will do this for me. It would save a whole lot of hassle.

Thanks.

Hopefully, they will do this for me. It would save a whole lot of hassle.

Thanks.
Call the local Enterprise office and let them know you'll be wanting a pickup at Amtrak. Remember to take the LOCAL phone number with you, so you can call them to let them know you've arrived. I've done this many times with other Enterprise offices--it does save a lot of hassle when arriving by train.

There are 2 Enterprise offices in the vicinity. I don't know which one regularly handles the train station. Always check opening/closing hours and if there is a nearby 24 hr (like an airport) that could honor a resv in case of a train meltdown. As mentioned above, get the local numbers, and use them.

Good morning folks.

Just booked to Kissimmee and got a good deal. I punked and tried for Orlando, cause of the whole rental car concern... the price jumped almost $300... so I switched it back. Since I did it over the phone, they didn't' offer insurance like the website does. Has anyone purchased the insurance after the fact?

Glad I got the hardest part done.

Thanks for all your help thus far.

Glad I got the hardest part done.

Remember that the Family Bedroom on a Superliner does have 4 berths, but only 2 are adult sized. The other 2 are only 5 foot 2 inches long - or less!

With the given ages, I doubt these berths will be long enough.

I think the whole Superliner thing came into this discussion in connection with the possibility of using the Auto Train.
Yep. I guess the OP figured out the cost of the AT, and driving involved didn’t end up being worth it for the OP.

Remember that the Family Bedroom on a Superliner does have 4 berths, but only 2 are adult sized. The other 2 are only 5 foot 2 inches long - or less!

I did my best to research those. Either my train didn't have it...or they were booked way in advance.

I did my best to research those. Either my train didn't have it...or they were booked way in advance.
If you booked either Silver train (the Silver Meteor or Silver Star), then the Family Bedroom would not be an option. They are only available on Superliners (like the Auto Train).

Back