Partial cancellation question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PetalumaLoco

Conductor
We have a trip on the CZ booked, starting with an Amtrak bus ride to the nearest station. I've decided that I can park at the station and no longer need to do the bus leg. If I cancel the bus leg, will Amtrak insist on canceling my original booking and treating the remainder as a new booking, possibly at higher rates?

If this is true, I'll just eat the bus expense and show up at the station to meet my train. I think I'd be out about $60 for the 2 of us.

Also, how long does it take for mailed tickets to arrive? It's been a week now.

Thanks much.

Dennis

Well if the tickets are in the mail, then you're already in trouble as any changes would require the return of the tickets. Personally if it's not too inconvienent, I'd head down to the nearest station once you have the tickets and inquire of the agent what cancelling the bus would do to the overall price of things.

And mailed tickets usually arrive within 12 days or so of the ordering date, unless you've booked something months in advance in which case they may not get mailed out right away.

Thanks Alan.

The trip is booked for October. The nearest station is about 50 miles away. I'm thinking I'll just show up for the train sans bus ride and pretend nothing happened.

Dennis

You can always do that and then attempt to send the tickets back in later for a refund of the bus portion. They may allow you to do that.

I'm fairly new to rail travel, and I've read this forum quite a bit, so I hope I don't sound ignorant here. :) Will Amtrak cancel the entire ticket if a passenger doesn't show up for the first leg? and is the bus part even considered a "leg"? I know with the airlines, they will cancel a ticket if you don't travel all portions of it.

I was wondering if I missed the CS in San Jose, could I board in EMY?

I'm fairly new to rail travel, and I've read this forum quite a bit, so I hope I don't sound ignorant here. :) Will Amtrak cancel the entire ticket if a passenger doesn't show up for the first leg? and is the bus part even considered a "leg"? I know with the airlines, they will cancel a ticket if you don't travel all portions of it.
Cynthia,

Missing a connecting bus wouldn't be a problem as long as you can get yourself to the train station before the train departs. Amtrak won't know, and probably will never know, that you missed the bus.

Turning to your second question, if you're traveling in coach it shouldn't be an issue. However, if you were traveling in a sleeper, then you might well find that they labeled you a no show in San Jose and resold your sleeper between there and EMY to someone on board the train.

Amtrak does not have an electronic ticketing/boarding system in place (yet, anyway)--everything must be manually submitted. That means that by the time they receive the tickets and process them and discover that one leg was missing, you've probably finished your entire trip. Additionally, the lack of electronic ticketing means that once you have that paper ticket in your hand, you are pretty much guaranteed boarding--even if Amtrak canceled your ticket, the conductor wouldn't know, since there's no real-time ticket checking. (I suppose if Amtrak really wanted to, they could issue a bulletin to your train's conductor to deny you boarding, but I'm not aware of any process for that.)

They can't really back-bill you, either, since it's possible to walk up to a ticket counter and buy a ticket with cash and no ID (or if they do ask for ID, I don't believe they copy your info down). Even if you buy the ticket online with your full address in your profile and give a credit card, they won't, since that would mean that credit card transactions are handled differently than cash/check/traveler's check transactions.

As far as boarding down-line, it's been said around here that virtually all conductors would not have a problem with this, especially if you tell them that you were trying to catch up to the train and would have missed the earlier stop. In fact, most conductors would probably be concerned that you overpaid for your ticket, since you paid for a stretch of track that you didn't use. I highly, highly doubt you'd be denied boarding or put off at the next stop for something like this!

The only case where you might get in trouble for skipping a leg is on an AGR award ticket. There are some "loopholes" where you can get three zones of travel while only paying for two zones. The classic one is booking a trip from Slidell, Louisiana to Los Angeles (or anywhere else on the west coast). Slidell is one stop east of New Orleans on the Crescent and is in the Midwest zone (Atlanta is the break point for the midwest/east zones). However, AGR will not route you through New Orleans and on to Los Angeles on the Sunset Limited, since that would require an overnight in a hotel in New Orleans (which AGR does not want to pay for). So, instead, they send you all the way east to Washington, DC, then west to Chicago and on to Los Angeles from there. You can get a cross-country trip on the train for 2/3 the amount of points! However, if you live in WAS and want to get to LAX for less points, you might book SDL-LAX, routing you SDL-WAS-CHI-LAX, but then skip the first leg on the Crescent from SDL-WAS. If AGR finds out you did that, they may come back and debit an additional 10,000 points (or whatever the difference is) out of your AGR account, since your two-zone trip became a three-zone trip.

But for regular paid tickets, I don't think there is any danger in skipping a leg, especially if it would cost you more to reticket it!

Edit: but take note of Alan's special exception for sleepers above--I usually travel coach, so I always automatically assume the same whenever anyone posts a question here, and I forget about the different sleeper rules. If you are in a sleeper, first see how much it costs to reticket it. If that doesn't work, call the SJC station before the train departs and see if they can pass a message to the conductor notifying him that you are going to be boarding in EMY instead so he/she doesn't give your room away. That's still chancy but may help your case a bit. (Or, you can ask on the phone at the same time if the Amtrak ticket agent in SJC can do a manual override and keep your ticket price the same while still reticketing you from EMY.)

Last edited by a moderator:
All these answers have been a great education, glad I started this thread.

As I said I'll just skip the starting bus leg and write it off to experience.

(Who knows, both my cars may not start the day we leave and I'll have to beat it down to the bus pickup in a taxi). ;)

Thanks all.

Dennis

Thank you Alan and Jackal. that was very informative. you guys know your stuff.

cheers!

I would imagine that no one on the train would even care if you rode the bus to get to it or not. So the ticket isn't punched... I don't think think the conductor minds. Check the price of the bus portion, you may find that you won't lose that much if you just don't ride it (ie: Santa Fe to Lamy or Williams Junction to Williams, etc). Great information in this thread.

My girlfriend had a question after we watched Silver Streak for the I don't know how manyeth time: what if I get left behind at a stop, hailed a cab, and ordered it to race two stops ahead so I can reboard the train. What happens then?

My girlfriend had a question after we watched Silver Streak for the I don't know how manyeth time: what if I get left behind at a stop, hailed a cab, and ordered it to race two stops ahead so I can reboard the train. What happens then?
Nothing? Why would there be a problem?

What happens is that you'll have wasted a bunch of money, probably scared the crap out of your girlfriend, and maybe even felt the pangs of panic and fear yourself. But then you'd reboard the train at that stop where you caught it. The only exception might be if you were reboarding at a station where they check tickets before letting you access the tracks. In that case if you had your stub with you, then you'd probably get some strange stares but would be allowed to reboard. If you didn't, that might cause a bit of a problem at least as they'd have to contact the conductor in the hope that either your GF had reported the problem or that he can find your name on the manifest.

What happens is that you'll have wasted a bunch of money, probably scared the crap out of your girlfriend, and maybe even felt the pangs of panic and fear yourself.
You've got a knack for giving the right answer with the right delivery, Alan :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back