Pacific Parlour Car meals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N.T.

Train Attendant
One of the nice things about train travel is being seating with others in the dining car and meeting interesting (one way or another) people. Recently, my wife and I took the Coast Starlight and chose to have one of our meals in the Pacific Parlour Car. It was a different menu and a different experience than the dining car. Reservations, at least from what I could see, were only for the few tables and they were always for 2 people. I'm thinking of taking the Coast Starlight again, but this time I would be going solo. Will I still be able to get a meal in the PPC instead of the dining car? The PPC has a different menu and some of the entrees appealed to me. However, if I have to sit by myself, I'd rather go to the dining car. Can anybody share some of their experiences traveling solo and eating in the PPC?

They'll seat you with someone else dining solo, or you may at your choice eat at one of the small Couchette Tables in the middle of the car. A couple of us did that one time when we were part of a good conversation and didn't want to step out when the supper bell rang.

I travel alone and last year when I ate in the PPC, I was seated with another woman who was traveling alone. Her first language was not English, but we did OK and had a very pleasant meal.

I travel alone and last year when I ate in the PPC, I was seated with another woman who was traveling alone. Her first language was not English, but we did OK and had a very pleasant meal.
Glad you had a pleasant meal in the PPC, the next meal you will have in the PPC will most

likely be with Shanghai, Jim Hudson & Eric!!!

Glad you had a pleasant meal in the PPC, the next meal you will have in the PPC will most

Oh No!!!

:eek:

Seriously, I cannot wait :wub:

May I join you guys??

Last week I traveled solo on #14 and dined in the PPC. At some meals I shared a table with others and at others I dined alone. I usually enjoy the chance to meet fellow travelers when dining, but I also can enjoy dining 'solo' - as it is a different and rather unusual Amtrak experience. I can really focus on the scenery and my meal (which can be a good thing :D ) when solo. For example, watching the sunset over the artichoke fields near Castroville and the Elkhorn Slough, while enjoying a glass of Cailfornia red and 'chicken provincal,' is a memory that I will not soon forget! My philosophy is to go with what comes your way and to enjoy it, if at all possible. In the PPC I think that is a pretty easy thing to do. :cool:

providing she doesn't make a wrong turn and walk into the wrong car LOL

My recent experience on the Starlight (2 trips) was different. At reservation time, the PPC was openly touted over the PA system as the option for you if you did not want to share a meal with strangers! When the person came around making reservations you got the little paper marked with a P for Parlor which you had to present at meal time - only 3 reservations per dinner 'slot.' And yes, I, as well as others, ate alone at one of the four-person tables - 3 different meals, lunch as well as dinner. Oddly, very few people took this option - the tables were never all occupied. The food was great - I had a crab louis salad which was terrific. But then the PPC was not busy at any time during the day.

May I join you guys??
Definitely, but getting 5 at a table will be interesting. On my last CS trip Evan, Granddaughter, preferred the regular dinner menu, But we did spend a Fair amount of time in the PPC. For her first overnight She was in charge of beds and meals reservtions. She did bettert than I do. Her comments about her first overnight ride, "Awesome"

May I join you guys??
Definitely, but getting 5 at a table will be interesting. On my last CS trip Evan, Granddaughter, preferred the regular dinner menu, But we did spend a Fair amount of time in the PPC. For her first overnight She was in charge of beds and meals reservtions. She did bettert than I do. Her comments about her first overnight ride, "Awesome"

Rich, of course, we will have room for you! My guess is that we will take up 2 tables. Alan and Grace likely will be on the CS with us on day 2 (maybe even day 1). Because of my food allergies and the limited menu in the PPC, I probably will not be eating every meal in the PPC. Also, IIRC, they started serving breakfast later in the PPC than in the diner. I like to eat early (and often).

May I join you guys??
Only if you promise to twist our arms and Force us to consume adult beverages! :p ^_^

It seems that whether you're seated solo or asked to share with others, depends on the PPC attendant. My usual experience has been solo seating. If you'd prefer to share, I'd mention that to whoever comes around to take reservations.

May I join you guys??

Rich, of course, we will have room for you! My guess is that we will take up 2 tables. Alan and Grace likely will be on the CS with us on day 2 (maybe even day 1). Because of my food allergies and the limited menu in the PPC, I probably will not be eating every meal in the PPC. Also, IIRC, they started serving breakfast later in the PPC than in the diner. I like to eat early (and often).

Eric and Joe will also be on the train, so perhaps we could charter the entire PPC car for AU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back