Opinions on Los Angeles Union Station (LAX)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a TRAIN related blog (such as AU) and someone mentions LAX, do you really think they're talking about Los Angeles International Airport or Los Angeles Union Station?
huh.gif
On a TRAIN related blog and someone mentions PVD, do you really think they're talking about T F Green Airport or the Providence Train Station?
huh.gif
On a TRAIN related blog and someone mentions MSP, PDX or SEA, do you thing they're talking about the airport or train station?
huh.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

It's weird to keep seeing "LAX" refer to Union Station.
But that's the Amtrak abbreviation for Los Angeles Union Station too?..?..?........ (or, LAUS)
Yes, LAX is the Amtrak code for LA Union Station. For somebody who lives in SoCal, though, "LAX" is the airport. The train station is always "Union Station." Given this, seeing post after post praising "LAX" gives me a moment of "What are these idiots talking about?" before I remember that LAX = Union Station.
Gotcha. For us (me) flat-landers" from the Midwest/East Coast, "LAX" has always meant both, just depends on HOW getting to L.A.

On a TRAIN related blog (such as AU) and someone mentions LAX, do you really think they're talking about Los Angeles International Airport or Los Angeles Union Station?
huh.gif
On a TRAIN related blog and someone mentions PVD, do you really think they're talking about T F Green Airport or the Providence Train Station?
huh.gif
On a TRAIN related blog and someone mentions MSP, PDX or SEA, do you thing they're talking about the airport or train station?
huh.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
Same for BWI, I only live 6 miles from BWI-rail. Yesterday we were picking up my wife's friend's mother, who was originally scheduled on AMT 55 to BAL. When I asked her to have her mom get off at BWI instead, (and she lives even CLOSER to BWI-rail) she looked at me as though I had three heads. (Which I wish I did)
I'd say on this forum, or any other travel-specific forum, the use of three-letter codes would be fine. We are just a group of rag-tag cult members, with daily guests, so who really cares, as long as the message is transmitted accurately.

EWR is not, and never was, the station code for Newark Penn Station. That code is NWK.

When a separate rail station was opened at the airport (coincidentally named "Newark Airport,") :giggle: it was given the same code as the airport, EWR.

I included EWR meaning the airport and the train station at the airport, not the city!
rolleyes.gif
I didn't include MKE, because the code for Mitchell Field (the airport) is MKE, but the train station at the airport is MKA. (Downtown's train station uses the code MKE!)

Not to get too far off topic ...

Does anyone have suggestions for a hotel/hostel within walking distance of the station?

(I don't suppose they would let you hang out over night, would they? Is it open 24 hrs?)

I need to make a Southwest Chief to Coast Starlight connection.

Thanks

I am a single grandmother who was in LAUS in June. I thought the station itself was just gorgeous, especially the courtyard. I walked (alone) to the Post Office and to Olvera Street and several other places within a few blocks of the station. Didn't see anything that made me afraid. Actually, I live in a small town and I am less confortable at our Walmart than I was there. Don't know what those folks are seeing but it sure wasn't there in June. If you miss LAUS, you will miss one of the grand old stations.

Not to get too far off topic ...

Does anyone have suggestions for a hotel/hostel within walking distance of the station?

(I don't suppose they would let you hang out over night, would they? Is it open 24 hrs?)

I need to make a Southwest Chief to Coast Starlight connection.

Thanks
Can't you still make that connection the same day? Last August I came in on the Southwest Chief, had breakfast at Philippe's, and left on the Coast Starlight. With the Coast Starlight departing two hours later, this connection is even more comfortable.

I've only been there once, but I'm hard-put to think of any big-city train station that was nicer and safer than Los Angeles Union Station. Washington Union Station, maybe?

Ispolkom,

Well, I know the schedule shows its doable.

Seems close.

Has anyone had an issue with this connection?

This connection is both very doable (I've seen the SWC many times arrive 30 minutes early
smile.gif
), but the connection is also guaranteed! I've seen the SWC so late that they bussed connecting passengers from say San Bardoo to Santa Barbara to catch the CS!

I've never had a problem meeting it in LAX!
biggrin.gif

Just to echo... anyone who says L A Union Station is dangerous must live in a bubble. Its a lovely, clean, and comfortable station. And very very safe.

This connection is both very doable (I've seen the SWC many times arrive 30 minutes early
smile.gif
), but the connection is also guaranteed! I've seen the SWC so late that they bussed connecting passengers from say San Bardoo to Santa Barbara to catch the CS!
Never seen it this late (granted, I don't watch) but I have been aboard a CS in LAX that was held 45 minutes for a late SWC. "Trains may make up time en route" my @$$- we were still 45 minutes down at OKJ.

"Trains may make up time en route" my @$$- we were still 45 minutes down at OKJ.
I've always figured that line referred to schedule padding.

This year I made the Southwest Chief-Coast Starlight connection once, and the even closer Coast Starlight-Empire Builder connection twice, so perhaps I've used up all my luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back