Open Sleeper...Grrrr!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair, though, I nip that whole issue in the bud by saying, "I'm not familiar with this process. Would you mind holding for a bit while I find someone who can help me? I want to make sure I do this correctly." If more agents did that, fewer people would have to demand a supervisor.
My standard in that situation is to say, "I'm fairly sure this is possible, but I haven't done it in a long time and don't want to do it incorrectly. Would you mind if I called you back so you don't have to hold while I look for someone to help me?" Then I give them an expected call-back timeframe based on how busy we are at the moment.
These are great responses, and having been on both sides of the customer service counter, would placate me for almost any situation I could imagine calling about (even though I loathe having to interact with a human on the telephone for almost anything these days). It also deals rather proactively with the people who are following advice given by travel writer Peter Greenberg, "Don't take a 'no' answer from someone who's not empowered to give you a 'yes' answer in the first place."

The unfortunate element about over-reliance on cookie cutter solutions such as scripts (or my new favorite, suggested questions) is that they've created a whole new endeavor to defeating them, which is usually hardest on the front line employees.

On the topic of call centers, I have had fairly good luck with the Amtrak call center. I always make sure I get my call takers name and call them by their name and try to be pretty pleasant, I always agree beforehand to take the survey at the end when available. I don't know if this actually has an effect or if I've just been very lucky,
This is always excellent advice, when dealing with any call center. It lets the rep know that you 'know who they are' up front (much more effective than demanding their name at the end). I think this, along with being pleasant and polite, works wonder's in getting good service from the rep...

On the topic of call centers, I have had fairly good luck with the Amtrak call center. I always make sure I get my call takers name and call them by their name and try to be pretty pleasant, I always agree beforehand to take the survey at the end when available. I don't know if this actually has an effect or if I've just been very lucky,
This is always excellent advice, when dealing with any call center. It lets the rep know that you 'know who they are' up front (much more effective than demanding their name at the end). I think this, along with being pleasant and polite, works wonder's in getting good service from the rep...
It's also good for situations where you, the customer, are waiting to have something resolved and don't want to repeat yourself. If someone calls and says, "I talked to someone earlier. They were looking into this, this, and this for me," the first thing I ask is, "Do you remember who you were speaking with?"

If they don't have the CSR's name, I now have to ask everyone if they remember speaking to so-and-so. If I can't find the person (they're on the phone, they're on break, they left for the day), now we have to start the whole process over again.

Since most people answer the phone with, "Company Name. This is Sarah. How may I help you?" it's really pretty simple to jot that name down. If you forget, though, most of us don't mind if someone asks for our name. (The ones who do mind shouldn't be in customer service.)

I draw the line at my last name, though. If they push, I advise I'm the only Sarah in my department so it's really not necessary. If they demand it again, I say I'm not allowed to provide it. (Truth: my boss told us she'd back us up on that.)

I draw the line at my last name, though. If they push, I advise I'm the only Sarah in my department so it's really not necessary. If they demand it again, I say I'm not allowed to provide it. (Truth: my boss told us she'd back us up on that.)
When I briefly did some external customer service via email, I got to make up a last name to use to sign the emails. (I actually used my grandmother's maiden name.)

Some companies policy is for rep to give first name, followed by an ID number, to both protect the rep, and provide positive ID...mostly by large companies...

Some companies policy is for rep to give first name, followed by an ID number, to both protect the rep, and provide positive ID...mostly by large companies...
That's a good idea. When I worked for the Mother Ship, I'd tell them to use "Sarah Z." If I'd had a more common last initial, I may have come up with something else.

Since most people answer the phone with, "Company Name. This is Sarah. How may I help you?" it's really pretty simple to jot that name down.
In my experience, it would be more accurate to transcribe that as "companame thisis mrbml." Even if I ask for the name to be repeated, it is often mumbled and slurred.

It is somewhat understandable. The speaker knows the name, the speaker's friends know the name and would recognize it, so what is wrong with the caller? Let's get on with the call.

All alone in the first class waiting room at St. Louis Gateway Station...wondering if I'll get dinner!

The conference went very well, but my traveling companion elected to go back home with his original ride. The Eagle's schedule has been pushed back an hour for track work but tonight's southbound is running pretty much on time; only 14 minutes late at Alton. So I figured that there was a real chance that I could catch last call in the diner...and, even if not, a burger or pizza in the Sightseer Lounge will be cheaper than dinner at the hotel. I'll know very shortly.

Looks and sounds very good!

And based on your post in another thread, Lucius and Faith run a very good Diner on the Eagle!

Seems that Wick is influencing more than Operations and Mechanical!

Last edited by a moderator:
Breakfast this morning was the Continental, with oatmeal, yogurt, strawberries & grapes, a side of chicken sausage and hot tea and orange juice to drink. More food than I could eat!

1496147127882.jpg

Since most people answer the phone with, "Company Name. This is Sarah. How may I help you?" it's really pretty simple to jot that name down.
In my experience, it would be more accurate to transcribe that as "companame thisis mrbml." Even if I ask for the name to be repeated, it is often mumbled and slurred.

It is somewhat understandable. The speaker knows the name, the speaker's friends know the name and would recognize it, so what is wrong with the caller? Let's get on with the call.
If you don't understand them the second time they mumble it, ask them to spell it for you. That's my trick, anyway.

I'm guilty of speaking too quickly at times, especially if we're in the middle of a rush period. Some people have called me "Sal", with "Tara" as a close second. So I don't mind if someone says, "I didn't catch your name. Could you spell it?" It's my own fault for speaking 90 mph. :)

If you don't understand them the second time they mumble it, ask them to spell it for you. That's my trick, anyway. I'm guilty of speaking too quickly at times, especially if we're in the middle of a rush period. Some people have called me "Sal", with "Tara" as a close second. So I don't mind if someone says, "I didn't catch your name. Could you spell it?" It's my own fault for speaking 90 mph.
Are people in call centers really not aware that we've often been waiting on hold for anywhere from several minutes to a half hour with the world's cheapest transistor radio or cheesiest keyboard mix? After turning down that horrible mess of ear saddening muzak it takes us a while to even realize that someone is finally on the line and busily rushing through their heavily rehearsed opening salutation like it's a race to the finish line. I honestly wish they'd turn off the hold music and website advertising and just start talking when they're ready.

The only time two people will ever magically follow a pre-existing script is when those two people are cast in a musical.
Amtrak, the musical!
That's the most horrendously amazing thing I've ever read. I simply cannot get this post out of my head. It's like bubblegum flavored cancer.

If you don't understand them the second time they mumble it, ask them to spell it for you. That's my trick, anyway. I'm guilty of speaking too quickly at times, especially if we're in the middle of a rush period. Some people have called me "Sal", with "Tara" as a close second. So I don't mind if someone says, "I didn't catch your name. Could you spell it?" It's my own fault for speaking 90 mph.
Are people in call centers really not aware that we've often been waiting on hold for anywhere from several minutes to a half hour with the world's cheapest transistor radio or cheesiest keyboard mix? After turning down that horrible mess of ear saddening muzak it takes us a while to even realize that someone is finally on the line and busily rushing through their heavily rehearsed opening salutation like it's a race to the finish line. I honestly wish they'd turn off the hold music and website advertising and just start talking when they're ready.

The only time two people will ever magically follow a pre-existing script is when those two people are cast in a musical.
Amtrak, the musical!
That's the most horrendously amazing thing I've ever read. I simply cannot get this post out of my head. It's like bubblegum flavored cancer.
Maybe I'm just more of a ball of sunshine than you, but I actually get annoyed that Amtrak interrupts their hold music with pre-recorded messages about baggage and such. I was trying to lip sync to John Denver the other day and Julie kept interrupting. Rude.

cheesiest keyboard mix

The [expletive deleted] travel agency that the Navy uses [expletive deleted] interrupts their [expletive deleted] terrible music with a prerecorded message in which the person [expletive deleted] speaks the name of the travel agency in precisely the way that someone answering the phone would, followed by a brief pause before launching into their [expletive deleted] message about whatever [expletive deleted] stupid message that they want to send. A brief pause that's perfectly timed for me to sit up, stop what I'm doing and (occasionally) even say "hello" to the stupid [expletive deleted] recording.

It find it somewhat annoying.

We are FULLY aware of how long people have been holding, trust me. My queue lights blink faster and faster, depending on how many people are waiting, and when I push the queue buttons, I can see the "wait" time on my phone. It's not like we sit around not answering the phones on purpose.

When I've pushed my lunch break back another thirty minutes or hold my bladder for another fifteen minutes so I can help clear the queue, the last thing I want to hear from a caller is, "Wow. FINALLY. What are you people doing? Taking a nap?"

That's when it takes every fiber of my being to remain calm, polite, and friendly.

As I said in the bolded portions, I'm unaware I rush sometimes and don't mean to do so. I was simply offering a different way for a person to get the agent's name without asking a third time.

Also, when a hold spiel fails to load, callers think they've been disconnected. (This has happened in prior jobs and has resulted in lots of angry, "YOU GUYZ HUNG UP ON MEEEEE!!!" phone calls.) The music/spiel is there to let you know the call is still connected. I know it sucks. Trust me. I spend a large part of my day on hold.

I do like the Cisco music Ryan linked. I went searching for that one day after hearing it multiple times. I find it soothing. Like him, I don't like when the music pauses for a recorded message, as I think someone is picking up. I'd rather just hear music.

Maybe I'm just more of a ball of sunshine than you, but I actually get annoyed that Amtrak interrupts their hold music with pre-recorded messages about baggage and such. I was trying to lip sync to John Denver the other day and Julie kept interrupting. Rude.
I love how Julie calmly acknowledges your request for an actual human before casually refusing to comply and asking you to start over again. It's kind of crazy to think they even managed to code passive aggressive behavior into their automated answering system. To this day Julie forces me to badger her about it every single time. Julie, dear, if you had any chance of solving my problem I wouldn't have had to call anyone in the first place. Stop trying to be clever and transfer me to someone who might actually help (if they happen to be under the influence of prescription pain medication and feeling unusually generous on a random Tuesday).

That's what callers get if I put you on hold at my desk, which kills me a little inside every time it happens. Unless I'm on a conference call with annoying people who need to be punished. Muahahahaha! :lol:

Back