One more reason to take the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cops that bloodied this man should go back, read the oath that they swore to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic.
They're just following the status quo at this point. Can't expect our security services to act any more responsibly or compassionately than the people above them. That kind of calm and rational leadership has to come from the top. Oh, right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess two wrongs really do make a right. <_<

Nonetheless, from the linked story...

United CEO Oscar Munoz apologized for the incident Monday, but hours later he sent a letter to the airline's employees hours later lauding the behavior of the flight crew when Dao, whom he described as "disruptive and belligerent," was removed. He credited employees with following established procedures.
Regardless of whatever disingenuous pandering nonsense they may say in the future, I think that comes pretty close to settling United's true position on this matter. So far as the top brass are concerned official procedures were followed, the customer is unilaterally in the wrong for refusing to give up his paid (and even acquired) seat in line with the severe power imbalance created by UA's lopsided contract of carriage. According to UA's head honcho there was nothing else that could be done but to call in security to aggressively and violently mop up their self-inflicted mess after apathy and indifference failed to get the job done.

A lot of people have a past. What's that got to do with what happened? Did they access his criminal history before they ejected him? Are our pasts now subject to airline employee scrutiny?
Nope, but the world is up in arms about the "Poor Sweet Doctor" who got a beatdown for not listening to the cops. That poor sweet doctor is a convicted felon and contributing to the drug addiction problem of Appalachia taking money and sex as payment. My point? EVERYONE is jumping to conclusions. Do we even know what the doctor said to the cops??? No one seems to have caught that on camera. People are ready to lynch the cops and the airline based on NON fully investigated incident and in China according to news, their social media is up in a roar because a Chinese Man(He is Vietnamese) got a beatdown.

A lot of people have a past. What's that got to do with what happened? Did they access his criminal history before they ejected him? Are our pasts now subject to airline employee scrutiny?
Nope, but the world is up in arms about the "Poor Sweet Doctor" who got a beatdown for not listening to the cops. That poor sweet doctor is a convicted felon and contributing to the drug addiction problem of Appalachia taking money and sex as payment. My point? EVERYONE is jumping to conclusions. Do we even know what the doctor said to the cops??? No one seems to have caught that on camera. People are ready to lynch the cops and the airline based on NON fully investigated incident and in China according to news, their social media is up in a roar because a Chinese Man(He is Vietnamese) got a beatdown.
Poor sweet doctor?

More like an (understandably) irate paying passenger who was apparently sick and tired of being jerked around by United's lousy customer service and incomprehensible excuses. I've been there myself many times before. I've never been physically forced out of my seat, but I have been tricked out of it by an unscrupulous flight attendant who tried to make it look like they were helping me only to discover that it was a setup. I think many former and current customers would readily accept that over the last several years United has become a discombobulated mess of an airline that is managed and staffed by people who would struggle to comprehend empathy, let alone actually experience it.

If this passenger has done something wrong or illegal unrelated to the flight then by all means punish him in a manner appropriate and relevant for the crime or infraction committed, but don't pretend that some unrelated backstory should give an overzealous airline carte blanche to treat their customers however they please. At the end of the day the public has been rudely reminded that United views and treats their passengers like freight. Regardless of whatever this man may have done in the past, seeing a company as despised as United proudly admit that it expects and withholds the right to treat paying customers like illegitimate stowaways is a bad look for this clusterfork of an airline.

I don't buy that ethnicity or character has any bearing on this incident. People of every ethnicity are entitled to the same constitutional and civil rights as all the rest of us. If he wasn't a nice guy so what? As long as he behaves while aboard the plane, this is irrelevant.

Thuggery by any other name is just that!

Dragging a bleeding,paying passenger off a plane so a deadhead crew can fly is obscene and plain stupidity.

Hopefully this man has a crackerjack lawyer and will enjoy his new life as a wealthy airline owner!

All the apologists for United can just "Tell it to the Marines!"

If I'm sitting on that plane I'm pissed the guy won't get off like the other three did, that overbooking causing someone to get off happens a lot more often than you think. Anytime you buy a ticket you may overlook it, but you are advised the plane may be over booked.
If I'm sitting on that plane I'm pissed the guy won't get off like the other three did, that overbooking causing someone to get off happens a lot more often than you think. Anytime you buy a ticket you may overlook it, but you are advised the plane may be over booked.

I don't know the reason why they needed room for this particular situation, I do know that a pilot can end a flight in Chicago and have to fly to a different city for the next flight.

Speculation but ---------- Republic boarded airplane at ORD. Then got a call from either Republic or United to hold airplane for 4 must ride crew members. Even had to delay flight to wait for D/H crew. Instead of getting volunteers ( Paid ) to give up seats took long time to process that request. Finally had to remove passengers (4) with the one refusing. They should have upped the ante. Why doctor got back on unknown but suspect 1 or more passengers thought what the heck or were going to miss appointment.

This is going to result in costing United many mega bucks in the future as many future passengers will think they can hold out for higher denied boarding compensation. More force able removals ? Who knows ?

I don't know the reason why they needed room for this particular situation, I do know that a pilot can end a flight in Chicago and have to fly to a different city for the next flight.
Turns out the flight wasn't overbooked. Deadhead crew apparently showed up at last minute after the plane had been loaded. This whole thing was terribly mishandled. From the last minute crew boarding to a supervisor who handled the announcement very badly to calling in the airport security police who totally over reacted. Interesting, the airport security police, who are not part of the Chicago police department, have been arguing to be armed. That whole proposal, which had some city council support, has blown up in their face. It seems like suspensions are in order for whoever ordered the deadhead crew to board an already full plane and the supervisor who handled the whole situation. Whoever wrote the first p.r. statement and then Munuoz's "our employees did nothing wrong" statement also need some time off. Munoz's head may have to roll, too, but since he's a CEO he'll get a very golden parachute. The whole thing is an object lesson for how not to deal with the public.

I'm surprised I'm the first one to point out a major problem with the premise of this thread: "One more reason to take the train."

The flight in question was from Chicago to Louisville. There is no train service to Louisville. Amtrak ... to Indianapolis, arriving at midnight, followed by a 5:50 a.m. Thruway bus ...

It's so incredibly hard to imagine why people would think that flying would be a better choice to get from Chicago to Louisville. :huh:
Don't be silly. Nobody here is saying those passengers should have used the current trains which are painfully slow, or actually don't exist.

But airline incidents like this one do give another reason to favor investing in more and better trains, to give travelers a reasonable choice.

It's hard to imagine that Indiana passed on the chance to invest $250 million in a few passing sidings and other measures to cut 29 minutes out of the CHI-Indy route of the Cardinal and Hoosier State. And nobody with any power to make stuff happen shows any interest in upgrading tracks beyond Indy to Cincinnati and to Louisville.

If airline customers could do CHI-Louisville in 4 hours or so by train instead, there might be plenty of empty seats on those flights out of O'Hare.

If airline customers could do CHI-Louisville in 4 hours or so by train instead, there might be plenty of empty seats on those flights out of O'Hare.
I suspect most folks on any given CHI-Louisville flight are connecting from somewhere else, so improved rail service may not have that much affect on the number of empty seats on those flights. It would probably draw folks who are currently driving, but that's purely a guess.

Yes, this incident can be used as an argument for investing in more trains. I agree with you on that. I was being a little tongue-in-cheek in the post that you quoted. I guess it didn't come across that way.

Another United Foot Shooting Story is Making the Rounds Lately...

United passenger threatened with handcuffs to make room for 'higher-priority' traveler
Link: http://www.latimes.com/business/lazarus/la-fi-lazarus-united-low-priority-passenger-20170412-story.html

------------------------------------

In an effort to put my money where my mouth is I'm...

1. Converting UA flights to other modes of transit

2. Converting UA/MP points into gift cards

3. Closing my UA/MP credit accounts

4. Closing my UA/MP earning accounts

5. Signing petitions asking the CEO to leave

I've only earned 20,000 status miles in the first quarter of 2017, so I doubt they could care less if I stay or leave, but it still feels good to practice what you preach.

Since the flight was out of Chicago-O'Hare, it's probable that the gate agents working the flight were mainline United employees. (However, we don't know exactly how much of a role the gate agents played in the situation.)
Gate agent would have been United. Deadheading crew likely, based on size and route, Republic. If Republic, assuming it was their crew, waited to the last minute to assign that deadhead for reasons not including wx, mx, other reasons beyond their control, this whole thing falls on them. I've worked for a United Express carrier, and I've seen these scheduling schennigans before.
That being said, just like a parent is responsible for the actions of a minor, United is responsible for the actions of their contractors. If they don't like it, they can buy their own regional jets and fly those routes themselves.

For obvious reasons airlines don't like building deadhead legs into their crew schedules. It takes away revenue seats, plus crews get paid, normally half rate or more, for time spend in transit. When this does happen, it's normally because something like weather, mechanical problems, crew duty limitations, sick calls, or similiar throws a monkey wrench into things. Ideally the second you know you need to move crew, you block out those seats from the reservation system.

So...the whole thing was caused because they couldn't get one more booked passenger to deplane for the deadhead crew, right? I am wondering if they could have just had one of the deadheading pilots occupy the cockpit jump seat for the relatively short flight...that could have solved the problem....

It's so incredibly hard to imagine why people would think that flying would be a better choice to get from Chicago to Louisville. :huh:
There just aren't many ways to get from Chicago to Louisville, other than via commercial airline, currently. I’ve heard some say they could have put the deadhead crew on Greyhound. But no matter how much one may like Greyhound, they don’t operate between CHI & LVL. Megabus does, but then you’re dealing with the Spirit/Allegiant Air of the bus world, along with the customer service record of United. Another commentary on the state of our interior transportation system.

Oscar Munoz, United's CEO, is a former high honcho at CSX. Lousily run railroad, lousily run airline.
Thanks for that tidbit; it might explain why the company headed by this person seems to view revenue passengers as ‘freight that talks’.

Nope, but the world is up in arms about the "Poor Sweet Doctor" who got a beatdown for not listening to the cops. That poor sweet doctor is a convicted felon and contributing to the drug addiction problem of Appalachia taking money and sex as payment. My point? EVERYONE is jumping to conclusions. Do we even know what the doctor said to the cops??? No one seems to have caught that on camera.
In regards to his prior offenses, the pharmaceuticals in question were shared between two individuals (including himself) and were not sold for money. This is probably why his medical license was restored on a limited basis starting in 2015. Most state medical licensing boards take a dim view of narcotics offenses generally and are unwilling to allow someone to continue the practice of medicine who could be a danger to the general public.

As of today, yes, we do know what Dr Dao said to the DOA officers, as People magazine is out with a story from another eyewitness who was recording the lead-up to the extraction. The latest video shows that he responded to the officers as previously reported and stated his need to return to Louisville that night and that he would go to jail if he had to.

Hopefully this man has a crackerjack lawyer and will enjoy his new life as a wealthy airline owner!
As a matter of fact, he has two of them, both from Chicago; one of whom specializes in aviation law. On Wednesday, actions were filed in Cook County Court requesting an injunction against UA which seeks to preserve all communications as it relates to the incident.

So...the whole thing was caused because they couldn't get one more booked passenger to deplane for the deadhead crew, right? I am wondering if they could have just had one of the deadheading pilots occupy the cockpit jump seat for the relatively short flight...that could have solved the problem....
That is within the realm of possibilities. My crew once needed a last minute deadhead leg on a Q400, there were four of us and only three open seats. The gate agent asked if one of us could take the cockpit jumpseat, we said yes, the captain said it was fine, so it worked out beautifully. This may or may not have been a possibility on the flight to SDF.

Last month I deadheaded from CDG to LGG on the train. It was nice. We need those options here.

Back