On the bus #22 SanAntonio to Fort Worth 5/15

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sunset Ltd #1 just left HOS for SAS 4 minutes late/ Bustitution for #21/#421 FTW-SAS rolled out of TPL @ 630pm/ Should be in Austin by 800pm!

Today's #22 (27) was a Bustitution SAS- FTW/ now rolling thru East Texas pretty much on time!!

Last edited by a moderator:
With the possibility of desperately needed relief maybe arriving as early as this weekend, there is hope the Heartland Flyer can resume service as early as next week. I do not know if the set is stranded in OKC or FTW. Meanwhile the Red Rock Sub through Oklahoma remains open to freight and BNSF has been pushing that through as fast as Dispatchers can set the sidings.

UPDATE TIME!

Ok, both my wife and I received an invitation to participate in a survey from Amtrak last week. I filled it out honestly and politely. I had already sent a letter via USPS earlier in the week too, but since the survey also had an e-mail contact address, I copied and pasted my letter into that block and sent it in.

Today we received a reply. it is posted below, with proper redactions made:

Dear Mr. Dry Creek,

Thank you for your recent email contact.

Amtrak welcomes feedback from customers, as it helps us to focus our efforts to improve service. We hope that you will accept our sincere apologies for the lack of adequate service during your recent travel.

We have entered your concerns into our customer database. You can rest assured that information has been shared with the responsible managers for review and any necessary corrective action.

As a token of our regret for your disappointment, our department has issued you an Electronic Transportation Certificate in the amount of $500.00. The Certificate is being held on file for you until June 7, 2016. The certificate is non-transferable and may only be used toward the fares of those named on the certificate.

In order to redeem this certificate, please contact Amtrak's Reservation Sales line at 1-800-USA-RAIL (800-872-7245) and speak to a live agent to create your reservation, but do not apply payment. Instead, request to be transferred to the Customer Relations Department to have the Certificate applied to the reservation.

The Customer Relations Department hours are Monday through Friday, from 7 am until 10 pm (Eastern Time). As information, the best times to call to avoid a long hold are typically Wednesday thru Friday, after 5 pm (Eastern Time). It would be helpful to refer to your case number below when calling.

Once again, thank you for contacting us. We look forward to serving your travel needs in the future.

Sincerely,

Bernadette
Amtrak Customer Relations

Case ID: 1234567

So, we have a $500 e-voucher to use within the next year. I am satisfied with their efforts to correct the problem. I just hope that they sincerely address our concerns. If my in-laws would have had the same experience, we'd never hear the end of it. They absolutely cannot learn to roll with the punches and would not be able to adapt.

Now I have the daunting task of convincing my wife to give them another chance. She says that she might consider another trip on the train, but only in a bedroom. That $500 would easily make up the difference between a roomette and bedroom - I think. Now, to make it really worth it, I will need to book a trip of at least two nights. I am thinking about taking the TE north and then using the MRR to connect to the westbound SWC. Is that the direction with the best scenery? Our return would be on the 422 out of LAUPT. Sort of a grand circle trip, but with a layover in LA I guess. The other big issue is purely logistical. We have a fall refueling outage this year, so I am locked out of vacation from pretty much mid September to mid November. We now know better than to book during the summer. The sleeper cars were uncomfortably warm during the spring, I can only imagine that they'd be sweltering in the summer (think #422 being set out for the daily #22 consist with no HEP). I am thinking either mid-November or maybe early to mid-March for the trip. We'd just have to adjust for the change back to daylight standard time. How would the most scenic parts of the SWC routes be during those dates?

Finally, if anyone's interested - I would gladly share my letter to Amtrak customer service by posting a copy of it here. Like I said, I was polite, but firm. I called out where there are glaring needs for improvement, and noted those who provided good to excellent service. I also reiterated that I did not hold the service disruption as their fault, just the way they chose to handle it.

Cross-posted as an appendage to our trip report.

Congrats on the voucher, y'all earned it!

Suggestion to consider: instead of the TE and the SWC to LAX, how about #22 CBR-SPI/the AmVan Shuttle SPI-GBB/#5 the CZ from GBB-EMY. Then spend a night in the Bay Area, then #11 the CS EMY-LAX/ same night connections to #422 ( 3 days a week as you know)LAX-CBR if you dont want a second layover in LA?

March is a good time to ride, you'll still have snow@ the Higher Elevations and the trains aren't as crowded.

If you do want the SWC from KCY-LAX. the River Runner is a nice trip along the Missouri River if you take the morning train. You would arrive into KCY in daylight and have 8-9 hour layover in KCY.

If you prefer the evening train it will be dark when you arrive into KCY after doing a layover in STL. The SWC leaves KCY around 1030pm and your first wakeup comes in Eastern Colorado as you roll towards Raton Pass and New Mexico.The ABQ stop is in daylight. It will get dark as you roll through Western New Mexico, dark thru Arizona. You'll arrive into LA in the morning around 8am if on time.

If I was doing this trip I'd take the Zephyr over the Chief, but both are nice routes.Plenty of trip reports and discussions on both routes, Google 'em up!

Last edited by a moderator:
I second Jim's suggestion about the Zephyr, but I'd take it in mid-September when the leaves first start to change in the mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back