old NYP vs Grand Central

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of the too few threads that make this Forum interesting. What are the really classic, in use, big stations still left and have they evolved positively or not, over that past 10 years or so?

This is one of the too few threads that make this Forum interesting. What are the really classic, in use, big stations still left and have they evolved positively or not, over that past 10 years or so?
I can't speak for evolution, but this should get you started:

The 23 Grandest Amtrak Train Stations in America

This article is loaded with some great photos. I was very impressed with Cincinnati's and Kansas City's stations. Springfield, Massachusetts is not listed since it was closed. However, it is being restored. Perhaps it will make the next list when it is completed.

I enjoyed the movie theater in GCT during the New York Central/New Haven era. It showed only short subjects, nothing more than ten minutes: cartoons, newsreels, travelogues, etc. I always arrived at least 30 minutes before train time whenever going home from college in the 1950s. I understand it was closed when AMTRAK moved to NYP. I guess commuters are in too much of a hurry to relax in a movie theater for 20-30 minutes. I remember it being at least half full each time I was there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed the movie theater in GCT during the New York Central/New Haven era. It showed only short subjects, nothing more than ten minutes: cartoons, newsreels, travelogues, etc. I always arrived at least 30 minutes before train time whenever going home from college in the 1950s. I understand it was closed when AMTRAK moved to NYP. I guess commuters are in too much of a hurry to relax in a movie theater for 20-30 minutes. I remember it being at least half full each time I was there.
I suspect there were two other issues more important than people being in a hurry that led to it being closed by the time Amtrak came around in 1971:

1. Desire to have the space produce revenue (i.e., using it for retail or dining).

2. The decline in the amount of short films being produced (theatrical newsreels and travelogues were pretty much extinct by the 1960s, and theatrical cartoon shorts were hanging on by a thread).

I was happy that they made an effort to make the WTC station into something large and magnificent. I'm not sure if the PATH trains warrant such a structure, but it was pretty cool to see.

To be fair, I'm not sure if I like the thing.... Everything is white. Too much white. Like from a creepy futuristic movie. But I can appreciate the massive space, and the modern-architecture.

I wouldn't put the Ft. Worth Intermodel Station in the Top 23 Grand Amtrak Stations since it is a New Place that replaced the old Santa Fe Station next door (now a Party and Music Venue)where Amtrak used to stop.

Also, right around the corner is the Grand Old T&P Station that is currently used as the TRE Terminal with High End Condos upstairs in the Cathedral Like Structure, and it has a Great Courtyard(Food Court) open to TRE Riders and for private parties.

I'd replace it with the ex-SP Station in El Paso ( similar to Portland's Union) or the Small, but Delightful ex-SP Davis,CA. Station. YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Did grand central terminal(station) always have its train platforms underground? Or did the modern grand central terminal have a train shed in its new york central days? I was just wondering if the new York central utilized tunnels to serve grand central, and if so, did they use electric traction like penn station?
New York Central installed third rail electrification from GCT to Croton-Harmon and North White Plains, and the New Haven to Mount Vernon around 1914, roughly the same time the tracks into GCT were lowered underground from 96th Street by the Cut-and-Cover method. This was the result of anti-pollution laws passed by New York City. Until then, the smoke spewed by hundreds of steam locomotives every day made The City smog worse than Beijing, China before the Olympics.

Back