Oh Come On

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
Airline executives are seeking assurances of financial support from Congress to protect them from the financial ruin they say would befall the industry during another war with Iraq.
Come on. People will still fly. Yes mabey one or two arilines will go out of business but look at all the airlines serving the US:

American

Delta

Continental

US Air

Norhtwest

Southwest

ATA

Jet Blue

Alaskan

American West

You get my drift

Amtrak goes these are the alternatives:

For full article, click here.

I'm on Southwest Airlines almost every week for business. They're making money and very few empty seats. Some of the old stogy carriers mentioned just don't seem to get it, it's a new day in air travel. Gone forever are the times they could get $1800.00 fares to the east coast from business travelers out west.

Airlines customers service is lousy too. I fly United a lot, and on a 4 hour flight I only get those peanuts. On Amtrak, at least I get a sandwich. I could care less about them anyway. I bet you MIdwes express is not one of the ones losing money because they are suppossed to be one of the better airlines.

Some of the profitable airlines are:

ATA

Jet Blue

Midwest Express

Southwest

Since I rarely take Amtrak for long distances I would like to see these airlines expand service with their low fares and excellent service. I dread a flight on Delta or US Air, but it's only a 3 hour flight.

One thought which comes to me...when a particular airline goes belly up, that is just one company....if Amtrak were go go belly up, that is an entire industry! Bi difference, I would say....

well I will expect the government will help to bail them out again

Well some of them should of gone bankrupted by now

Guy

Seriously, US Air and United, in my opinion, should not be in business. US Airways has gone bankrupt and United got the government to give them $1 billion last spring. I smell somehting fishy. <_<

Whats with that, if the government would at least try multi billion dollar funding for Amtrak for a few years as a trial, they would get a very nice rail system (not that Amtrak isn't nice :) ). When we need help its a big project requiring reforms. But for the airlines if they need money its there in a moments notice, no strings attached. I think its unfortunate that this, the most advanced, and in my opinion the greatest country in the world is so behind in its railroads. If we invested more we wouldn't have to rely on as much foreign fuel.

What we have now is a decent rail system which would work even better if it was funded. (If you fund it, it will grow)

Well that's what the White House wants to try to do. I haven't heard that anything is official yet, let alone what may or may not happen if they do try. Plus I'm sure that Congress, the Freight RR's, and the Unions will all have something to say about this before it happens.

Rail still plays a big part in the movement of large equipment and the materials to build weapons, etc.

About two weeks ago, there were 10 flatcars with tanks in the CSX yard. The Pentagon has voiced their concern recently about the rail problem in the US. They are concerned with the amount of rail that is abandoned every year and who will service the military bases in the future.

B)

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but Boeing ships fuselages of 737's and I believe 757's by rail from Wichita where they are manufactured to Renton, Washington for completion.

I think not only passenger rail should be subsidized properly, but so should freight lines. Mabey the freight lines could replace more old track, update singnals, and be a little bit nicer to Amtrak trains running over their tracks.

I've spent the last two weeks flying all over the U.S. The service is worse than ever. The "we're going to start getting tough with our passengers" attitude is evident, and the non-sense at the security check points makes Amtrak even more attractive. I cancelled my flight to Tucson next month and will book a sopt on Amtrak today in its place.

Anyone with some training in economics, and who has spent some time reading history, and with even the slightest talent for common sense will know a private passenger rail service will fail. Only expensive and highly specialized land cruses could pay for themselves.

Amtrak simply must survive and grow.

And another thing…

Amtrak should sharply expand its presence in the passenger transport economy. The goals:

1. Eventually ban flights of less than 300 to 500 miles (depending on the market). These short flights are choking our airways and unnecessarily accelerating airport construction. This kind of air traffic should be handled by rail. Flying from Los Angels to Las Vegas, for example, is a particularly silly thing to do. Here is where Amtrak should duplicate the service between Seattle and Portland.

2. Substantially reduce air pollution, average travel times in autos, and drastically slow highway construction. The automobile is holding us hostage to foreign oil, most of which comes from countries with sinister agendas for our security and survival. Our dependence on Arab oil will compromise our emerging war on terror. Highway construction is mostly a waste of money. The effort merely moves bottle necks from one place to another, feeds an enormous, permanent, nation-wide construction project, and sustains our dependence on oil. I've read that average travel times in some big U.S. cities have increased 1000% in the past 10 years. I can't find a study that reveals the destruction this must be bringing to our families.

3. Some people can not, or will not fly. Oxygen bottles are no longer allowed on most airlines, the airlines can not accommodate severely handicapped passengers, and 20% of the U.S. population is afraid to fly for one reason or another. What alternative would these people have without Amtrak? What about the Americans with Disabilities Act: could the act allow us to go to court if Amtrak fails?

Moving forward, Amtrak should not be required to make a profit (it is impossible, so why even consider it), or even sustain itself in a manner the U.S. Postal Service tries to do. The U.S. Postal Service enjoys a monopoly in certain services. In time Amtrak could enjoy a similar suite of monopolies in short distance travel, intra-city travel, and long-haul routes that serve key metropolitan areas as a strategic alternative to air travel. Until then, Amtrak should only be required to provide high quality and reliable services that serve the strategic and cultural interests of the nation. The nation needs to get to a place where it doesn't depend on any single industry. We will not be able to recover from another attack on our airlines.

I am one who believes the lingering recession we are currently enduring has part of its origins in the reluctance of business people to travel. I am one of these people. Though I'm not afraid to fly, the experience is too much of a hassle for me to justify the time I have to waste in security lines. I spent more than 2 hours in such a line in Fort Lauderdale last week. That's two hours completely wasted and lost forever. With only a few exceptions, I've said "good by" to all of my customers who are not on an Amtrak route. Though I may spend days rather than hours on a train, at least I still have control over every hour in all those days.

Ahhhh, another convert!!!

People are starting to realize that life is whizzing by and they have no control!!!

More and more folks are putting the" brakes on" in life and taking control of time!!!

I could be flying for some airline and double my salary, but I like being home everyday and watching the trains go by. You know what they say, " The more money you have, the more problems you have!"

B)

Good point Viewliner--Unbeatable point....an investment in railroads would be an investment in homeland security. Right on!! That should have been on of the lessons for us as a nation to learn after 9/11.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Good point Viewliner--Unbeatable point....an investment in railroads would be an investment in homeland security. Right on!! That should have been on of the lessons for us as a nation to learn after 9/11.
I agree with you Bill, and so would anyone else in this forum. :)

Viewliner said:
Bill Haithcoat said:
Good point Viewliner--Unbeatable point....an investment in railroads would be an investment in homeland security. Right on!!  That should have been on of the lessons for us as a nation to learn after 9/11.
I agree with you Bill, and so would anyone else in this forum. :)
I had thought that after 9-11 Amtrak was to recieve $1 billion from some sort of emergancy fund? Where did that go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back