NYP.....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are tossing around the idea of going thru NYP on a return trip from Florida in February. But, after reading this..... http://www.yelp.com/biz/new-york-penn-station-new-york .....I dunno....Anybody got any comments, good or bad? :blink:
I use Penn Station all the time. It is crowded during rush hours and certain times of the weekend. But generally not a problem to handle. There are seating areas for ticketed Amtrak Regional, NJT and LIRR passenger in appropriate parts of the station, though sometimes they can get rather full. There are separate seating areas for Acela Business Class Passengers, and of course Acela First Class and LD Sleeper passengers or those that are Amtrak SelectPlus or are member of Continental Presidents Club can use the Club Acela Lounge.

It is by far the largest rail passenger terminal in the US, and so it comes with its baggage of good and bad. I would not avoid it just for what it is. but since I don't know what your priorities are I cannot give you any informed advice on that matter. If you were to ask more specific questions I am sure many here would be happy to answer.

I'm mostly curious about how justified the comments are on the link I posted......We will have sleeper reservations so will be able to utilize the lounge.....is it a big rush to get to the platform once the train is announced, or do sleeper car passengers get to load early? We would have several hours layover....is there much to see around Madison Square Gardens? it will be Winter, so we may not be too interested in getting to far from NYP station....

It's not the prettiest station around, but there is no reason to avoid it. If going through NYP makes your trip easier, then by all means, it's perfectly safe and useful.

I'm mostly curious about how justified the comments are on the link I posted......We will have sleeper reservations so will be able to utilize the lounge.....is it a big rush to get to the platform once the train is announced, or do sleeper car passengers get to load early? We would have several hours layover....is there much to see around Madison Square Gardens? it will be Winter, so we may not be too interested in getting to far from NYP station....
Your best bet to get hassle free pre-boarding from the lounge is to use the services of a Red Cap. The tip is usually a dollar or two per bag, and they make sure you get to avoid the throngs and get pre-boarded.

It is a short walk to Times Square and Empire State Building, from Penn Station, if you are into touristy sorts of things. The one stop subway ride on 1,2,3 (7th Ave Subway) to Times Square is quite convenient if you want to get there without walking through the cold. If you are into seeing a really grand train station, I'd recommend another one stop ride from Times Square to Grand Central using the S Shuttle. Lots of good eateries at Grand Central, the choices being somewhat better than at Penn Station.

I don't think it's THAT bad as some of the folks make it out in the article. Some of the disgusting things people are described as doing in there... I have seen happen in the bathrooms at the Amtrak stations in Chicago, LA, or heck -- even Milwaukee. You're going to get some vagrants in any large public place like that in any medium or large sized city.

I have never felt threatended or anything while at NYP -- even in the wee hours of the morning or while traveling by myself.

The most intimidating thing was the sheer number of people (it makes even CUS look like Winnemucca) -- but I think everything is pretty well marked and if you keep following the overhead signs that say "AMTRAK" you will find the gates, ticket counter, and Club Acela.

Oh, and if you're worried about NYP -- look at using some AGR points or going to eBay and buying a 1-day pass for the Club Acela. Bathroom are cleaned every hour and it's pretty nice to wait in there away from everyone.

Oh, and if you're worried about NYP -- look at using some AGR points or going to eBay and buying a 1-day pass for the Club Acela. Bathroom are cleaned every hour and it's pretty nice to wait in there away from everyone.
He is traveling by Sleeper, so he already has access to Club Acela at NYP.

Should it be avoided? In my opinion no. Is it a nice station? By all means no. The public restrooms are some of the worst I have ever seen and the rest of the station isn't that clean either. I never felt that I was in danger though. Also a note of advice don't eat at that restaurants in the station some of them charge ridiculous prices.

It is nothing to write home about. It is basically like a very nice subway station.

NYP! :cool: Wow! :excl: Since you have access to the Ca no problems! The Red Cap thing is the way to go, the crush when trains are boarding can be something else! Excellent idea not to eat the high priced so called food in the station, go over to GCT :wub: as another poster said, take in that wonderful old jewel (shame Amtrak cant run there!), there are some great but expensive eating places there but it is New York! Eating from the Hot Dog Carts is the way to go IMO! ;)

We are tossing around the idea of going thru NYP on a return trip from Florida in February. But, after reading this..... http://www.yelp.com/biz/new-york-penn-station-new-york .....I dunno....Anybody got any comments, good or bad? :blink:
It is by far the largest rail passenger terminal in the US, and so it comes with its baggage of good and bad. I would not avoid it just for what it is. but since I don't know what your priorities are I cannot give you any informed advice on that matter. If you were to ask more specific questions I am sure many here would be happy to answer.
Jishnu;

Got any numbers for Grand Central Station just for comparison ?

Jishnu;

Not off the top of my head.

One thing is clear though that after ESA opens NYP and GCT will become much closer in ridership numbers. MTA projects that by 2020 LIRR net ridership will go up 96,000 to 323,000, and of that about 162,000 will go to GCT. Now with ARC not happening at NYP, ridership on Amtrak and NJT will probably not increase enough to fill the ridership that moves to GCT, so all in all NYP will be decongested at least as far as pedestrian traffic goes, and GCT and the west side subway lines will become far worse, which is hard to imagine for the Lex subway.

It's so disappointing that such a great station before was turned into such a disaster today. The yelp issues don't seem to apply to Amtrak sleeper passengers as much as some of the other classes and carriers so hopefully it won't be a bad experience. This is probably the only time I'd ever use redcaps and only because I wouldn't want to risk Amtrak leaving me behind and then shrugging their shoulders at my predicament.

Should it be avoided? In my opinion no. Is it a nice station? By all means no. The public restrooms are some of the worst I have ever seen and the rest of the station isn't that clean either. I never felt that I was in danger though. Also a note of advice don't eat at that restaurants in the station some of them charge ridiculous prices.
The main restrooms in the Amtrak area at NYP were closed for remodeling and to bring them to ADA compliance when I was there last month. So the restrooms might be in decent condition for a few weeks once the work is done.

As for NYP, I always find it an interesting place. Busy, full of people going here and fro, lots of corridors and passageways to figure out where they go. Worth exploring for the first time visitors if they have the time. Easy walk out to the streets outside as well.

As for safety, there are armed squads with dogs patrolling the Amtrak passenger waiting and boarding areas. All part of the post-911 era, but anyone stupid enough to try mug someone in the main areas of the station will find himself dealing with Amtrak police and national guard troops.

NYP is a lot like your ordinary airport, except underground. Its not that dirty, but its really boring. No art in it what so ever.

If you don't get to NYC very often, you could make it a very nice 3 or 4 hour layover. Hop a cab - or just walk North (up Broadway), to Tines Square. It's a refreshing spot in such a large city.

Near NYP station is one of my favorite restaurants - Patsy's (Brick oven Pizzeria) and great Red Wine, and a perfect NY atmosphere. Nice crowd there too. Patsy's is at 318 West 23rd Street, which is about 7 (short) blocks down 8th Ave - you go south - down 8th Ave, towards 23rd Street - and turn right on 23rd, and it's right there - on the left side. Easy walk, or a very short cab ride. Maybe a 15 min walk (walking slow). Nice walk through the Garment district towards Chelsea. But it is the opposite direction from Times Square. However, Patsy's is on 23rd Street - which is also the location of the Flat Iron Building - a wonderful NY Landmark (on 5th Ave - between 23rd and 22nd Streets).

BTW - I miss the old New York Penn. It had charm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jishnu;

Not off the top of my head.

One thing is clear though that after ESA opens NYP and GCT will become much closer in ridership numbers. MTA projects that by 2020 LIRR net ridership will go up 96,000 to 323,000, and of that about 162,000 will go to GCT. Now with ARC not happening at NYP, ridership on Amtrak and NJT will probably not increase enough to fill the ridership that moves to GCT, so all in all NYP will be decongested at least as far as pedestrian traffic goes, and GCT and the west side subway lines will become far worse, which is hard to imagine for the Lex subway.
Well if Metro North sucks up some of the LIRR capacity, which is still being talked about AFAIK, Penn could remain just as busy. Of course MN will first have to solve the third rail issues in order to get into Penn, at least for the Hudson line.

Jay,

I think that GCT currently sees around 200,000 pax these days. They used to be around 180,000 a few years back, but their ridership has gone up since then.

New York Penn Stations does have negative and positives sides, but it sure can be hectic during peak hours. I try to avoid Penn Station if possible since getting there through the subway with heavy luggage can be troublesome, especially when unexpected situations occur (Elevator was not working at penn subway station, so I had to lug everything down many stairs, NOT fun). There are many different transit systems there (LLIR, NJ transit, Bus services, and Amtrak) and if your a rookie you can get lost easily. If I was traveling light then I would consider Penn Station, but if your like me and have a lot of heavy luggage I would look at other options.

When I've taken the Lake Shore limited up to Chicago they wanted me to take a train from Stamford to Penn station and switch for train 48. Looking at the route there is a station stop at a Metro North Hudson Station, Croton Harmon (First stop after Penn). Croton harmon is only a 30 mile drive form Stamford, so I switched my tickets for Croton and not only did I avoid the hassle of penn Station, but I've saved 40 dollars for that short train ride to Penn, but a lot of time by not waiting for train 48 at Penn.

So always look at your options! If Penn is the only way, then so be it, but I try to avoid it
mosking.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
New York Penn Station is a very functional station for the largest city in the US. It lacks the granduer of the awesome Pennsylvania Station that it replaced, but how many other beautiful railway stations in the US have been destoryed and replaced with nothing. It is certainly more partical than Peachtree Station in Atlanta which was built as a urban stop for the Southern Railway and now serves as the only station for a very large metropolitan area. People that have a negative opinion of NYP would find fault with many things, but so be it.

I use NYP frequently as I live in Northern NJ and my daughter and family live on Long Island. I transfer from NJ Transit to the Long Island Railroad with ease.

While it is crowded during rush hours, if you are attentive, you should be able to use the station without difficulties. There are eating establishments in the

station and many near the station. If you have time, you can explore part of the city as well including shopping in the nation's largest department store.

We travel to some of the big Amtrak stations often: Boston, Washington D.C., Chicago, and Los Angeles- and have had few concerns at any of those stations over the years- really like those stations. However,in our experience, NYP is not as clean as the other stations. If the other big stations are kept well, why not NYP? Maybe someday?

On the other hand, we have always found comfortable seating and helpful Amtrak folks at NYP.

However, we try to book the train to D.C., rather than to NYP, on our East Coast travels.

However,in our experience, NYP is not as clean as the other stations. If the other big stations are kept well, why not NYP? Maybe someday?
No other station is as busy as NYP. Nearly 300,000 LIRR riders in and out each day, something like 190,000 NJT riders in and out, and some 60,000 Amtrak riders. Before even factoring in the subways, stores, and lunch traffic; you've got more than 250,000 people moving through the station each day.

However,in our experience, NYP is not as clean as the other stations. If the other big stations are kept well, why not NYP? Maybe someday?
No other station is as busy as NYP. Nearly 300,000 LIRR riders in and out each day, something like 190,000 NJT riders in and out, and some 60,000 Amtrak riders. Before even factoring in the subways, stores, and lunch traffic; you've got more than 250,000 people moving through the station each day.
That's about like having a "Woodstock" every day.

New York Penn Station handles 600,000 passengers a day. Amtrak's share of that is under 25,000 per day, or less than 5%. That is not a slap at Amtrak but evidence of how huge the two commuter services are. Grand Central is a distant second in New York with 140,000 passengers a day. Considering how those 600,000 passengers are weighed toward peak hours, the movement of people and trains at NYP is amazing.

Make no mistake, Penn is a dump. But, in kind of a weird way, I like it. It has it's charms, hidden though they may be.

Penn Station is a mares nest of three different fiefdoms, NJT, LIRR, and Amtrak. If you get into one of the many areas of the station that don't routinely handle Amtrak passengers and isn't owned by NJT or LIRR, such as the Hilton Passage, you will be in a creepy building full of exposed plumbing, dim and flickering bulbs, and even some homeless people.

In otherwords, its ugly. And a little hard to navigate if you don't know it well.

But it isn't a bad station. I can think of many worse- some real fusterclucks. Washington D.C., for one. Oh, its pretty. But it isn't a good station.

The problem for Penn isn't that its a bad station. It is that in the spot where a boring office tower and a ugly sports arena stand, above Penn, there once stood one of the most beautiful buildings ever built- many lists call it number one. It was torn down, and a lot of people are still bitter about it 50 years on. What's left of it isn't the architectural marvel that once was there. By all means, use it.

Chicago Union's actual passenger concourse (as opposed to the great hall) is very similar, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back