NYP Station *NEW* Map

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon'tFly

Train Attendant
Please someone reply...let me know if this link works.

:huh: I have found a map of Penn Station.

It shows the three different levels...I have no clue how I came across it...

NY Penn Station Map:

http://jasongibbs.com/pennstation/

BTW: I'm a Newbie and is taking our first trip on the Silver Meteor in February...If anyone also knows the best entrance at Amtrak for someone who is disabled, and needs "Red Cap Assistance"?? Someone told me in between 7th & 8th at 31st...didn't know that existed...

Happy Travels!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the diagram. Once upon a time that used to be on the Access to the Regions Core website, but they took it down a long time ago and I've not been able to find it since. I've now saved a copy and linked to the site for future updates.

Regarding arriving at Penn, once upon a time that was the best place to arrive. Taxi's could drive down a small driveway in between MSG and Two Penn Plaza and redcaps abounded in that area. Post 9/11 security has closed that driveway to all but those who are making deliveries to MSG and are cleared by security.

I'd arrive on the 8th Avenue side of Penn. Usually there is a redcap to be found there and even if you can't find one, there is a down escalator on the 31st Street corner and an elevator on the 33rd Street side.

penn_station_diagram.png

I didn't know there was a 33th Street. :D

NY Penn Station Map:

BTW: I'm a Newbie and is taking our first trip on the Silver Meteor in February...If anyone also knows the best entrance at Amtrak for someone who is disabled, and needs "Red Cap Assistance"?? Someone told me in between 7th & 8th at 31st...didn't know that existed...

Happy Travels!!
The link worked fine.

Now if someone could come up with the track directions into the track level in the picture of the station, I might be able to figure how to get up to the Amtrak level, and find Club Acela. Once I find that, I'll be able to find my way up to the street level, and to the corner of 7th Ave and 31st Street to the hotel. Once I'm inside the hotel, I might get to the room and curl up in a fetal position and wait for three nights, then crawl on my hands and knees back to Club Acela and plead for a Red-Cap to take me back to the LSL that's supposed to depart at 3:15. I've already got my tickets. Do you think they'd let me in? :lol:

NY Penn Station Map:

Happy Travels!!
The link worked fine.

Now if someone could come up with the track directions into the track level in the picture of the station, I might be able to figure how to get up to the Amtrak level, and find Club Acela. Once I find that, I'll be able to find my way up to the street level, and to the corner of 7th Ave and 31st Street to the hotel. Once I'm inside the hotel, I might get to the room and curl up in a fetal position and wait for three nights, then crawl on my hands and knees back to Club Acela and plead for a Red-Cap to take me back to the LSL that's supposed to depart at 3:15. I've already got my tickets. Do you think they'd let me in? :lol:
I sense someone like Alan could help you better then myself I can explain what I am certain of. If you are coming in on the lake shore limited then I would recommend either grabbing a red cap when you arrive in New York. The red caps seem to go down to meet the long distance trains. Many times I have been in NYP and heard an announcement, "Attention Red Caps next to arrive on Track 7 the Lake Shore Limited."

Since your coming in on the Lake Shore it reduces the guess work, since trains from Albany can only arrive on tracks 5,6,7, or 8. Then once you are on the platform take a look at the signs above the escalators most of them say where they are going. You would want one saying Amtrak Concourse. Once you are on the concourse from those tracks the club acela should be in plain view. Its painted and has Club Acela plastered on the outside.

I hope I made some sense.

There is an entrance on 31st, between 7th ave and 8th ave where there is a red cap. When we travel with Grandpa, we use that

entrance. There is a tent walkway from the street to the entrance. Next to the delivery entrance, there is a small office where a

red cap sits. To the right of the station entrance, there is a lift to take you down to the main station level near the information booth

and by the Krispy Kreme donut shop.

There is an entrance on 31st, between 7th ave and 8th ave where there is a red cap. When we travel with Grandpa, we use thatentrance. There is a tent walkway from the street to the entrance. Next to the delivery entrance, there is a small office where a

red cap sits. To the right of the station entrance, there is a lift to take you down to the main station level near the information booth

Thank You!! Your reply was the most helpful...Maybe you can tell me what tracks are most used for Silver Meteor?? I'm so nervous for my mother and the infamous "mad-dash" to the track. Amtrak assured us that she would not become abandoned, and that red cap will assist her down to the track level.

Thanks again to everyone's reply!!

Happy Travels!!

NY Penn Station Map:

Happy Travels!!
The link worked fine.

Thayer,

The tracks run parrallel to 31st/33rd Streets and cross under 8th Avenue on their way to New Jersey and under 7th Avenue on their way to Queens, Long Island, and New England. Track #1 is closest to 31st Street and the numbers run up to track #21 which is closest to 33rd Street. When you arrive, since the sleepers are on the rear of the LSL, you'll be closest to the 8th Avenue side and the Amtrak side of the upper level. The first escalator you hit, should bring you up to the Amtrak level. And as noted by LTR, you'll arrive on a select few tracks and Amtrak generally tries to avoid 5 & 6 because the platform is much shorter than the one for tracks 7 & 8.

There is an entrance on 31st, between 7th ave and 8th ave where there is a red cap. When we travel with Grandpa, we use thatentrance. There is a tent walkway from the street to the entrance. Next to the delivery entrance, there is a small office where a

Thank You!! Your reply was the most helpful...Maybe you can tell me what tracks are most used for Silver Meteor?? I'm so nervous for my mother and the infamous "mad-dash" to the track. Amtrak assured us that she would not become abandoned, and that red cap will assist her down to the track level.

Happy Travels!!
Because the Meteor is a long train, Amtrak generally tries to put that train on the longest platforms at Penn Station. That means tracks #9 through #14, and generally they try for 10, 11, or 12.

Now if she's in a sleeper, and in the Club Aclea lounge, then she should be just fine. Especially with a redcap. If she's in coach, she should still be ok, but it would be wise for her to be on her toes just in case.

Happy Travels!!
Because the Meteor is a long train, Amtrak generally tries to put that train on the longest platforms at Penn Station. That means tracks #9 through #14, and generally they try for 10, 11, or 12.

Now if she's in a sleeper, and in the Club Aclea lounge, then she should be just fine. Especially with a redcap. If she's in coach, she should still be ok, but it would be wise for her to be on her toes just in case.

Alan B,

You really know your stuff. Perhaps a travel guide book in your future!! Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately we are going by coach and my mother cannot risk being on her toes (hip-replacement). We will just stay vigilant and hope for the best!

Arrive Magazine (published for Acela and Business Class) has added diagrams of NYP, WAS, PHL, BOS and Acela service route:

http://www.arrive-digital.com/arrive/20100...2&u1=friend

This one is better than the previous one posted on the top. The elevators are shown here on the new map. It is hard to find the elevators at NYP, so I hope this link is helpful.

Happy Travels!
I wish the map in Arrive would have the lower level as well. I don't go through NYP often and once found myself getting off the Empire Service on the lower lever. It left me a bit confused but the signs got me up to Amtrak's level for my connection.

Arrive Magazine (published for Acela and Business Class) has added diagrams of NYP, WAS, PHL, BOS and Acela service route:

This one is better than the previous one posted on the top. The elevators are shown here on the new map. It is hard to find the elevators at NYP, so I hope this link is helpful.

Happy Travels!
I wish the map in Arrive would have the lower level as well. I don't go through NYP often and once found myself getting off the Empire Service on the lower lever. It left me a bit confused but the signs got me up to Amtrak's level for my connection.

I have used the LIRR and NYP a lot during my lifetime (never used Amtrak), and they have never had an user-friendly map that I can remember. I had to just look for the NJT signs to make my way to Amtrak from the lower level (LIRR). It took me months of research to find these new diagrams. My mother is handicapped and I had to become savvy on the elevator placement. This was no easy task, I even took advantage of a trip to Rockefeller, to find those sneaky elevators by Amtrak. Guess what, I never saw them with my own eyes, and when I go next week by car to NYP, hopefully there will be an elevator where the map states.

Wish Me Luck!

Happy Travels!

I have used the LIRR and NYP a lot during my lifetime (never used Amtrak), and they have never had an user-friendly map that I can remember. I had to just look for the NJT signs to make my way to Amtrak from the lower level (LIRR). It took me months of research to find these new diagrams. My mother is handicapped and I had to become savvy on the elevator placement. This was no easy task, I even took advantage of a trip to Rockefeller, to find those sneaky elevators by Amtrak. Guess what, I never saw them with my own eyes, and when I go next week by car to NYP, hopefully there will be an elevator where the map states.
Did you try the link on the top:

It shows the Lower Level (LIRR Concourse)

Happy Travels!

Last edited by a moderator:

Happy Travels!

Did you try the link on the top:

It shows the Lower Level (LIRR Concourse)

Happy Travels!
Yes, I saw that, but like I said: "I wish the map in Arrive would have the lower level as well." It would be nice to get it straight from Amtrak instead of having to go to a third party site.

In fact it would be really nice if they had a detailed map with track numbers and had the conductor announce where you would be getting off at, you know just like the airlines do. NYP can be a mess if you are not familiar with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back