NW mudslide season 2017-18

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since Amtrak deals with NW mudslides on an annual basis, might be worth to merge all mudslides threads into one, simply call it "NW Mudslide Seasons", and pinning it. Also, no service between SEA and EVR until at least Tuesday, unless more bucket-fulls slide.

Since Amtrak deals with NW mudslides on an annual basis, might be worth to merge all mudslides threads into one, simply call it "NW Mudslide Seasons", and pinning it. Also, no service between SEA and EVR until at least Tuesday, unless more bucket-fulls slide.
We were bussed the entire way between Vancouver and Seattle, and we're doing the same for this morning. No idea about what's going on with the evening train though.
Also, the Superliner set I was suppose to work (which is held captive to trains 516/519) was used to run 517 yesterday and should be 504 today. I don't know if 517's original equipment ever made it in from Vancouver yesterday. It wasn't in the question when I got in to Vancouver yesterday afternoon, but things were supposedly real bad around Bellingham, so who knows.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

We were bussed the entire way between Vancouver and Seattle, and we're doing the same for this morning. No idea about what's going on with the evening train though.
Also, the Superliner set I was suppose to work (which is held captive to trains 516/519) was used to run 517 yesterday and should be 504 today. I don't know if 517's original equipment ever made it in from Vancouver yesterday. It wasn't in the question when I got in to Vancouver yesterday afternoon, but things were supposedly real bad around Bellingham, so who knows.

Why would there be rhyme or reason? It came back last night. I'll be taking it down to PDX as 517, and it will return tonight as 508.

And another today, just north of Mount Vernon. On 516 we didn't even get to Edmonds before it happened and the decision to turn around was made. An on time 517 will run from Seattle using 516's (Superliner) equipment, and we'll be bussing to our stops north of Seattle.

No idea what's going to on tonight or tomorrow

And another today, just north of Mount Vernon. On 516 we didn't even get to Edmonds before it happened and the decision to turn around was made. An on time 517 will run from Seattle using 516's (Superliner) equipment, and we'll be bussing to our stops north of Seattle.

No idea what's going to on tonight or tomorrow

I suspected there was a mudslide. Someone posted on FB they got a text message that 516 was cancelled with no alternate transportation and was surprised/confused.Strike that, he got another message about the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a mudslide which means BNSF places a moratorium on passenger trains. It ends 4pm on the 19th.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a mudslide which means BNSF places a moratorium on passenger trains. It ends 4pm on the 19th.
4pm? Was there another?
Can't we make another happen?
default_tongue.png
. I'd love to give up pay in exchange for busing down to Seattle, and doing something like deadheading the equipment up to Vancouver! (For those wondering, depending on where the slide is, usually we run the train part of the way and bus the passengers the rest, then deadhead the equipment through the affected area.)

"How on earth did Seattle’s train tracks wind up in mudslide zones?"

http://kuow.org/post/how-earth-did-seattle-s-train-tracks-wind-mudslide-zones
Since 2015, landslides have disrupted or canceled passenger trains along Puget Sound on the Amtrak Cascades and Sound Transit Sounder routes over 540 times, according to data from Sound Transit and the Washington State Department of Transportation.
This number seems high to me. Maybe 540 total train cancellations?

"How on earth did Seattle’s train tracks wind up in mudslide zones?"

http://kuow.org/post/how-earth-did-seattle-s-train-tracks-wind-mudslide-zones
Since 2015, landslides have disrupted or canceled passenger trains along Puget Sound on the Amtrak Cascades and Sound Transit Sounder routes over 540 times, according to data from Sound Transit and the Washington State Department of Transportation.
This number seems high to me. Maybe 540 total train cancellations?
It definitely could have been worded better.

The blocking event occurred on Friday. The moratorium expired Sunday night at 10pm. Passenger train service will resume on Monday, assuming nothing else occurs.

I think its until Monday. Meanwhile, this would also defeat the purpose north of EUG.
I'm not sure I understand this comment, but to clarify, Amtrak trains could still operate PDX-EUG and SEA-VAC.

That said, the timing of this is rather unusual. It's been a very dry spring here in the PNW, and it seems unusual to have a mudslide in June.

Back