NW mudslide season 2016-17

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Everett-Seattle route is simply no good. It was basically built at the bottom of seaside cliffs... which is stupid. It's going to be flooded by sea level rise eventually. In the long run it needs to be replaced with an inland route. Unfortunately the inland route which used to exist (the NP route) has been severed in multiple places.

The mudslides between Vancouver WA and Tacoma are another mater, and are a newer phenomeon. That route's not bad. It ought to be possible to permanently fix them.
There are still some geology issues. Between Vancouver WA and Kelso the bluffs are largely fairly recent (in geologic terms) uplift hills with the river cutting through. The hills are made up of random inclined layers of clay, alluvial rock, some ancient seabed, volcanic debris, and lava intrusion. The clay tends to be fairly impervious to water so when water gets to it there is an instant slip zone and landslides. As there is not much room for both the railroad and the I-5 freeway we can still expect continuing issues, though with lesser frequency than Seattle to Everett.

The Everett-Seattle route is simply no good. It was basically built at the bottom of seaside cliffs... which is stupid. It's going to be flooded by sea level rise eventually. In the long run it needs to be replaced with an inland route. Unfortunately the inland route which used to exist (the NP route) has been severed in multiple places.

The mudslides between Vancouver WA and Tacoma are another mater, and are a newer phenomeon. That route's not bad. It ought to be possible to permanently fix them.
There are still some geology issues. Between Vancouver WA and Kelso the bluffs are largely fairly recent (in geologic terms) uplift hills with the river cutting through. The hills are made up of random inclined layers of clay, alluvial rock, some ancient seabed, volcanic debris, and lava intrusion. The clay tends to be fairly impervious to water so when water gets to it there is an instant slip zone and landslides. As there is not much room for both the railroad and the I-5 freeway we can still expect continuing issues, though with lesser frequency than Seattle to Everett.
I thought most of the cliffs, especially between Everett and Seattle, were mostly glacial deposits. Poorly sorted and not well stratified - a random collection of "particles" from clay-size up to VW bug size. Also, are the houses at the top of the cliffs (between Seattle and Everett) still on septic, with storm water from roofs and driveways also allowed to just percolate into the soil? If so, getting both of those water routes diverted could help immensely.

Amtrak Service Disruption between Seattle and Portland

Amtrak Service Disruption between Seattle and Portland
Train service suspended due to landslide

May 5, 2017

4:30 a.m. PTAmtrak Cascades service between Seattle and Portland is suspended due to a landslide. BNSF Railway, which own the tracks, has placed a 48-hour moratorium, suspending all rail traffic in the area through Saturday, May 6. Amtrak is seeking alternate transportation. Normal rail operations continue north of Seattle and south of Portland to Eugene, Ore.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.Passengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

Via Steven J. Brown: "Mud slide at Titlow [between Tacoma and Olympia]. Main two is covered with mud. 506 is through at 10 mph.... both mains out of service. 507 holding at Tacoma."

Commenter adds: "Welcome to the NW where mud slides happen after a week of sun!"

Via Steven J. Brown: "Mud slide at Titlow [between Tacoma and Olympia]. Main two is covered with mud. 506 is through at 10 mph.... both mains out of service. 507 holding at Tacoma."

Commenter adds: "Welcome to the NW where mud slides happen after a week of sun!"
Yeah, there's a service advisory dated 5/28 at 8 p.m. on the Amtrak website.

This one was an odd one since, as noted, there wasn't any rain in the past week. Also, very ill-timed as it ensnared Memorial Day weekend travelers. I'm guessing there were a bunch of "never-agains" created as a result.

Yeah, there's a service advisory dated 5/28 at 8 p.m. on the Amtrak website.

This one was an odd one since, as noted, there wasn't any rain in the past week. Also, very ill-timed as it ensnared Memorial Day weekend travelers. I'm guessing there were a bunch of "never-agains" created as a result.
I doubt that. When I had to be rerouted back in 2014 following a washout, I gave them another chance. I am less likely to be affected, as most of my trips don't go north of Portland. I am more of a "do again" rather than "never again". I'm guessing Titlow is more landslide-prone compared to Felida. Also has to do with record rainfall earlier this year, I'm guessing.

Back