Northeast Snowstorm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of 6:00 this morning it is already snowing at a good clip in Boston, and the forecast just added the city to the high wind area.

A Snow Emergency in Boston starts at 6:30 am.

Stay safe no matter what mode that you are traveling in, if you have to travel at all.

It's a telecommute day for me.

Ken

The radar I just looked at shows it raining--and hard in some places around Wilmington--from New Haven down to DC and on to Richmond. So it appears coastal warmer air has moved in.

Every train that Amtrak is running on the NEC is on time.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long does it take after such a storm for the trains to be running again? I am holding an NER NYP-BOS ticket for Thursday afternoon...
Thursday should be fine, and Wednesday would be the only day I'd worry about. But every storm is different.
If the wind is real bad and catenary comes down all over, that could make the situation far worse. There are only so many diesels in Boston and New Haven to keep service running, and have the issues are on Metro North, then it won't be pretty.

At this stage of the storm, unfortunately it's hard to say. But if service is effected, I really think it'd be earlier departures, 190, 170, or maybe 172.

I will be waiting with you to see, because I am suppose to be working 172 on Thursday.

The radar I just looked at shows it raining--and hard in some places around Wilmington--from New Haven down to DC and on to Richmond. So it appears coastal warmer air has moved in.

Every train that Amtrak is running in NEC is on time.
Wilmington is/was getting sleet and freezing rain. That is worse than snow. Though I'm glad we won't have the lingering snow to deal with in the days to come. I'm working from home today. The rest of DE is getting walloped with the heavy rain.

Just as long as tomorrow's 49 runs!
In addition to the New Haven Line, Metro-North has suspended service on the Hudson line. They have not indicated when they will reopen. 49/48 impacted.

Why is there no service alert front and center on amtrak.com?
Because they're still figuring out what is going on? Unlike the airlines we don't like to just go and say all service is cancelled flat out, days in advance, and be done with it.

Steve - Some cancellations are showing now. All Acelas east of NYP, and I'm unsure of what Regionals will be running. I made the wise decision to pick up 173 as an extra for tomorrow after working 66 today (expecting 173 to be cancelled and have it turn in to a deadhead, which it did). So I only know that 173 is cancelled. 137 is running, and I'm not sure about 95/171/93. I hour 93 still is, so I can take that instead.
My point is that they know enough to cancel a train, but can't put up a service alert to say why?
Anyway, at this moment, there are NO trains available between NYP and BOS today.

Clearly you have not bothered to check the 9am advisory posted on amtrak.com, which clearly says, among other things:

Due to changing winter storm conditions, the Northeast Regional service between New York City and Boston and Empire Service between New York City and Albany, N.Y., are suspended until further notice. Trains that depart each city before 9:00 a.m. will complete their trips. Acela Express service between New York City and Boston has already been canceled.

Those trains (NER to/from Boston) and Empire Service run on tracks controlled/dispatched by MNRR for long stretches and MNRR made a decision to shut down.

trains will not run until MNRR opens their tracks on the Hudson and New Haven Branches.

Why is there no service alert front and center on amtrak.com?
Because they're still figuring out what is going on? Unlike the airlines we don't like to just go and say all service is cancelled flat out, days in advance, and be done with it.

Steve - Some cancellations are showing now. All Acelas east of NYP, and I'm unsure of what Regionals will be running. I made the wise decision to pick up 173 as an extra for tomorrow after working 66 today (expecting 173 to be cancelled and have it turn in to a deadhead, which it did). So I only know that 173 is cancelled. 137 is running, and I'm not sure about 95/171/93. I hour 93 still is, so I can take that instead.
My point is that they know enough to cancel a train, but can't put up a service alert to say why?
Anyway, at this moment, there are NO trains available between NYP and BOS today.
Because again, they hadn't decided which trains were being cancelled at that point. And then there's so many more variables in our industry, that they need additional time. For example, we didn't know Metro North was going to (basically) abandon us on their railroad, which is what forced us to cancel the rest of the services.

95 and 190 ran. That will likely be it.

Those trains (NER to/from Boston) and Empire Service run on tracks controlled/dispatched by MNRR for long stretches and MNRR made a decision to shut down.

trains will not run until MNRR opens their tracks on the Hudson and New Haven Branches.
I posted that up thread, but I have now heard that it Metro North didn't necessarily shut down the railroad entirely. They shut down their services, yes, but the real supposed issue is they are refusing to offer assistance if we have any issues while on their territory.

I posted that up thread, but I have now heard that it Metro North didn't necessarily shut down the railroad entirely. They shut down their services, yes, but the real supposed issue is they are refusing to offer assistance if we have any issues while on their territory.
Can't say I blame Metro North for that decision....It would look bad for them if they didn't run over their territory, but Amtrak did. And Amtrak could be overwhelmed with commuter's trying to get home that normally ride MN...although since Amtrak is reserved, that should mitigate that situation.

I also am saddened by the underlying animosity? between the parties...that MN would not come to Amtrak's aid, even if they could...

Supposing that Amtrak reciprocated, by saying that if MN would not carry their trains, Amtrak would not support LIRR service between Harold and NYP?

So, been working all day and haven't been keeping up-Currently in Jacksonville with my son, he wanted to take a train trip on spring break. Plan was to leave Jax tomorrow evening on the SM, connecting Thursday to the Lakeshore then flying home from Chicago on Friday afternoon.

Thinking it might be not a great idea to stick with that plan, thinking of ditching that and flying JAX to LAX, Wed AM, then catching the Sunset/Eagle LAX-FTW, then connect to Heartland FLyer home to OKC. He still gets a 2 day train trip, and we end up at home just a few hours later than the original plan.

What do you all think, who are in the know in the North East. Is it a bad idea to try and take the Meteor North into NYP trying to get on the Lakeshore Thursday?

They're starting to cancel tomorrow AM's trains as well. I was scheduled to leave out of PHL tomorrow on 2100, and just got an email that it was canceled.

48/448(14) & 49/449(14) cancelled entirely
, 449(15) cancelled BOS-ALB

Cursory look at Wednesday 3/15, subject to change as it's a fluid/frozen situation.

CANCELLED:

110, 111, 127, 179, 184, 2100, 2103, 2104, 2109, 2110, 2117, 2119, 2121, 2122, 2126, 2128, 2153, 2165, 2166, 2170, 2173

Partially operating:

55 originates @ NYP

56 terminates @ NYP

94 terminates @ NYP

141 originates @ NYP

171 originates @ NYP

172 terminates @ NYP

173 originates @ NYP

174 terminates @ NYP

641 originates @ PHL

2160 terminates @ NYP

Springfield shuttles and Empire Service also have changes and cancellations.

Was supposed to be on 48 (3/14) out of Chicago tonight. Was rebooked to 50 (3/14) instead, but due to 6 (3/12) running four hours late, all passengers bound for the Cardinal got off in Galesburg and we are now driving to meet 50 in Indianapolis.

Adventure, Amtrak style!

Hopefully the snow won't be so bad in the wilderness of West Virginia and you make it to your destination without further adventures!

I see a Travel Voucher in your future because of the loss of your room and meals.

Keep up us posted,most of us have been there,done that!

174 is still showing "No status available" for 3/15 on my Amtrak app thingy, not "cancelled".

My ticket is for 174 to BOS on the 16th.. urg

Shortline: I think your alternate of flying to LAX, then the Sunset/Eagle and Heartland Flyer is an Excellent idea and prudent also!
Yeah. Looks like it. Cutting our losses, and doing that. We fly to LA tomorrow, and head home to OKC on the Eagle and Flyer. Was looking forward to the Lakeshore, have not been on that full route, but didn't want to get caught up in the mess. So. Another trip on the Eagle. Just a fun run anyway, thankfully we weren't too picky on where we went,

174 is still showing "No status available" for 3/15 on my Amtrak app thingy, not "cancelled".

My ticket is for 174 to BOS on the 16th.. urg
Try Reservations instead of Train Status, or check status from a station east of NYP. KnightRail's info will verify.

Back