NOL station transportation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Lyft for my recent rides to and from CUS from my home.

The nice thing about Lyft was that I was able to schedule a pickup 7 days in advance. "Be here at noon on Friday" really worked well. It was a $28 ride from the western 'burbs to CUS. I understand that Uber is going to provide the same functionality.

On the way home, we Lyfted again. This was at 6 PM - outbound traffic from the loop in Chicago was $24 plus a tip (which you can do from the app). That same ride, about a year ago via cab was over $40 - on a Sunday at noon.

But, back on topic, I thought the fare for cabs from Union Passenger Terminal to any of the central business district hotels was a flat fare (I want to say $12 plus tip).

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year while at New Orleans my uncle and I took cabs to/from our hotel to Union Station. In both instances the flat rate for cabs was plainly posted. I believe it was $12 plus tip and both cabbies were very friendly. I've never used Uber but downloaded the app for use when I am in Boston in September. I'm anxious to see how well it works.

Last year while at New Orleans my uncle and I took cabs to/from our hotel to Union Station. In both instances the flat rate for cabs was plainly posted. I believe it was $12 plus tip and both cabbies were very friendly. I've never used Uber but downloaded the app for use when I am in Boston in September. I'm anxious to see how well it works.
Unless you're a long way away from the Light Rail in Boston, you shouldn't need Taxis or Ride Share in Boston Jeff!
Downtown Boston is very walkable also!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got ripped off a couple of years ago by a taxi driver in Chicago going from a hotel to Union Station. On my last trip, I used a combination of subway and Lyft in Los Angeles and Lyft in Chicago. I don't plan to ever use a taxi again if Uber, Lyft or public transit are available.

Unless you're a long way away from the Light Rail in Boston, you shouldn't need Taxis or Ride Share in Boston Jeff!
Downtown Boston is very walkable also!
Jim, the hotel I'm staying at is about 2.6 miles from South Station and about half a mile from North Station. North Station is very walkable but the 2.6 miles with luggage isn't particularly appealing. I don't know about Boston's light rail but remember I live in a town of 2800 and grew up in a town of 500. To me Uber sounds a lot easier than figuring out a light rail system especially as I arrive in Boston on a NE Regional at 10PM. Give this country bumpkin easy every time!!! :lol:

Jim, the hotel I'm staying at is about 2.6 miles from South Station and about half a mile from North Station. North Station is very walkable but the 2.6 miles with luggage isn't particularly appealing. I don't know about Boston's light rail but remember I live in a town of 2800 and grew up in a town of 500. To me Uber sounds a lot easier than figuring out a light rail system especially as I arrive in Boston on a NE Regional at 10PM. Give this country bumpkin easy every time!!! :lol:
Maybe it's a question of perspective here.

I love subway maps but I struggle to figure out an app like Uber. I also don't feel comfortable in that sort of situation, being in a car with a driver talking to me with phoney politeness, and feeling under some sort of pressure to stick up a conversation while the driver is actually fishing for a bigger tip when all I really want to do is look out the window and switch off.

I only put up with that when there is genuinely no alternative.

Since this thread has drifted into a discussion of Uber & Lyft, I've read that the Uber app continues to track you and report your location, even when you aren't using it.

Since this thread has drifted into a discussion of Uber & Lyft, I've read that the Uber app continues to track you and report your location, even when you aren't using it.
That's what I've read as well, which is one of the reasons I'm looking to start using Lyft when it's available.
I know one person who uses a phone with a modification that lies about where it is to apps when they are in the background. Only when you are using the app does it get your real location.

Back