No trains stop in Delaware? I guess WIL is in PA.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
American Rails

Delaware has multiple passenger services which pass through the northern section of the state along the Northeast Corridor. However, none actually stop in the state. These include regional services Acela Express and "Northeast Regional" while intercity trains include the Cardinal, Carolinian, Crescent, Palmetto, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, and the Vermonter. Despite this the state has connecting services at Dover, Newark, and Wilmington. For more information about riding one of these trains please click here.

Of course, many people think Delaware is in Pennsylvania, so I guess it would be logical that WIL is in PA. :rolleyes:

American Rails

Delaware has multiple passenger services which pass through the northern section of the state along the Northeast Corridor. However, none actually stop in the state. These include regional services Acela Express and "Northeast Regional" while intercity trains include the Cardinal, Carolinian, Crescent, Palmetto, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, and the Vermonter. Despite this the state has connecting services at Dover, Newark, and Wilmington. For more information about riding one of these trains please click here.

Of course, many people think Delaware is in Pennsylvania, so I guess it would be logical that WIL is in PA. :rolleyes:
How does someone make this glaring a mistake? Ok, maybe they do think Pennsylvania took over northern Delaware at some point. But seriously?

Another interesting tidbit: On the iPhone app, if you want to find KIN (Kingston, RI), do not look under "K"! Look under "W" for West Kingston (which is where the station actually is)!

If you ask 1,000 people how to find the code for Kingston on the iPhone, I bet 999 or more would say to look under "K"!
wacko.gif

Also, this must mean that VP Biden has been driving to PA to catch the train to DC when he was a senator all those years? Jeez, it's not like we're RI, which is smaller then little 'ol Delaware. :giggle:

Dave, no wonder Acelas don't stop in KIN, since people can't find it to book it. :ph34r: :lol:

DOT's 2012 data so far show flight delays at about 20% of all flights. And that's despite all the padding. Cancellation rate seems to be about 2% though I can't find data since February.

Thanks, but as I I've said before, I'd rather sit in my roomette on a train for a few extra hours than in an airport. Although I have to admit, it is getting easier to find a place in the airport w/o a TV monitor blaring (mostly lies and distortions).

LBNL, I count 10 Wilmingtons nation-wide, the vast majority of them indeed not in Delaware! So statistically speaking, the article is absolutely correct.

DOT's 2012 data so far show flight delays at about 20% of all flights. And that's despite all the padding. Cancellation rate seems to be about 2% though I can't find data since February.

Thanks, but as I I've said before, I'd rather sit in my roomette on a train for a few extra hours than in an airport. Although I have to admit, it is getting easier to find a place in the airport w/o a TV monitor blaring (mostly lies and distortions).

LBNL, I count 10 Wilmingtons nation-wide, the vast majority of them indeed not in Delaware! So statistically speaking, the article is absolutely correct.
No, the article is not correct as it says no trains stop in DE. I believe ALL trains on the NEC that go between PHL and WAS stop in DE. They stop at WIL and some even stop at NRK.

Looking further down the article, it say the Southwest Chief stops at Burlington, Iowa instead of Fort Madison.

Hey, go easy on the guy. (His website links to mine!) I once accidentally placed Fort Wayne in Ohio....
I just sent an email to him with the correction. That is the right thing to do IMHO. When you have a cart load of data to manage by hand mistakes happen, and it helps to help people correct them when noticed.

Hey, go easy on the guy. (His website links to mine!) I once accidentally placed Fort Wayne in Ohio....
I just sent an email to him with the correction. That is the right thing to do IMHO. When you have a cart load of data to manage by hand mistakes happen, and it helps to help people correct them when noticed.
I do that sometimes when I see typos on web pages. Just wasn't in the right place at the right time when I saw this to do it then. Thanks for letting him know.

As a resident of Wilmington (and an annual amtrak railpass/cross-country rider) should I be offended my adopted state has once again been lumped in with PA and/or Maryland???? :cool:

For the record i am catching the Cardinal IN WILMINGTON this summer!!

As a resident of Wilmington (and an annual amtrak railpass/cross-country rider) should I be offended my adopted state has once again been lumped in with PA and/or Maryland???? :cool:

Only if PA or MD starts adding sales tax to your purchases.

Only if PA or MD starts adding sales tax to your purchases.
Nooooooooooooo!

Well, Delaware used to be the three Lower Counties of Pennsylvania, so maybe he's just using an old map! :lol:

Also, this must mean that VP Biden has been driving to PA to catch the train to DC when he was a senator all those years?
Well, didn't they call Joe Biden the third Senator from PENNSYLVANIA?
huh.gif
Thus DE is part of PA!
laugh.gif
Wish the first part of that statement was true. He was born in PA, but unfortunately found his way down to DE. :(

Now, back to the original post. That website acknowledges DE as being a state, but says there are no train stops in DE, therefore I was surmising that WIL must be in PA (and forgot to say NRK must be in MD). Of course, I know better since I've gotten on and off the train in WIL - while it was stopped. And have been on it when it stopped in NRK. Of course, the stop in NRK might resemble that EB stop mentioned in another post. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
How about the TE stop at Texarkana?
huh.gif
Half the TE stops in Texas and the other half stops in Arkansas! (The station straddles the state line!
wacko.gif
)
So, if you buy a ticket for Texarkana, do you pay Texas sales tax if you board on the Texas side and pay Arkansas sales tax if you board on the Arkansas side? :blink:

So, if you buy a ticket for Texarkana, do you pay Texas sales tax if you board on the Texas side and pay Arkansas sales tax if you board on the Arkansas side?
Amtrak tickets are not subject to any sales tax.

How about the TE stop at Texarkana?
huh.gif
Half the TE stops in Texas and the other half stops in Arkansas! (The station straddles the state line!
wacko.gif
)

I see Amtrak lists it as being in Arkansas. So if somebody wants to go to Texarcana, TX, does that mean they are out of luck?

benjibear said:
1339604247[/url]' post='373519']
the_traveler said:
1339602263[/url]' post='373506']How about the TE stop at Texarkana?
huh.gif
wacko.gif
)
I see Amtrak lists it as being in Arkansas. So if somebody wants to go to Texarcana, TX, does that mean they are out of luck?
The station building is in Arkansas, so it's listed as AR. But Texarkana, TX is right next to Texarkana, AR! Like I stated, 1/2 of the train while stopped is in Texarkana, AR and the other 1/2 is in Texarkana, TX!
laugh.gif

This is sort of like arguing about whether you arrive into Newark or Elizabeth when you arrive at Newark International Airport. Well, if you arrive in Terminal A you arrive in Elizabeth NJ and in Terminal B and C you arrive in Newark NJ. Just to prove the point you will find only Elizabeth taxis at Terminal A and Newark Taxis in Terminal B and C, for pickup.

BTW, the owner of the website responded to my email and asked for more details of where I found the text. I sent him the details and he said he will fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back