No PPC on #14 tomorrow

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
14(07) has parlor. 11(06) inbound to LA with no parlor. Apparently 11(05) or possibly 11(04) drug a couple bad ordered parlors back into LA. Anybody seen a synopsis as to why there have been so many failures since the rebuilds?

There are currently 2 PPCs parked at the yards in LA, both on the DM line (deferred maintenance); and just fyi, per the previous post, they won't remove a PPC just because the attendants don't want to work in one without AC - it's actually the law that without functioning AC at the beginning of a trip, NO car can go out.

So anyone want to figure out for me what the odds are of the 11 having a PPC on 8/14? So I know if I should start crying now.

There are currently 2 PPCs parked at the yards in LA, both on the DM line (deferred maintenance); and just fyi, per the previous post, they won't remove a PPC just because the attendants don't want to work in one without AC - it's actually the law that without functioning AC at the beginning of a trip, NO car can go out.
This scares me. Why do we need A/C in this world?

Because the windows of the car don't open, and with the sun beating down, it would get very hot very quickly, which will lead to a lot of upset passengers.

Now, in other respects I completely agree with you. I have no AC at home, and didn't when I lived in CT either, which gets warmer and more humid than Burlington. I don't think AC is a necessity, though it can be a nice convenience. What I do need, though, if I lack AC, is the breeze from a decently powered fan. I do absolutely hate being too hot. If a car (or a building) is too cold, it doesn't really bother me one bit - I can always dress warmer. But there's a limit to how much I can take off when I'm riding the rails!

Just got a call from Amtrak notifying us that our train tomorrow will not be traveling with a PPC. I thought they were all back in service? She didn't mention anything about a substitution either. Figures. First time in a sleeper on the CS and they pull the PPC. :(

I'm sorry, but I a rookie to this board. What is PPC? Is there a place to find all the acronyms?

anita

Just got a call from Amtrak notifying us that our train tomorrow will not be traveling with a PPC. I thought they were all back in service? She didn't mention anything about a substitution either. Figures. First time in a sleeper on the CS and they pull the PPC. :(

I'm sorry, but I a rookie to this board. What is PPC? Is there a place to find all the acronyms?

anita
www.trainweb.com/accommod/parlour.html

Because the windows of the car don't open, and with the sun beating down, it would get very hot very quickly, which will lead to a lot of upset passengers.

Now, in other respects I completely agree with you. I have no AC at home, and didn't when I lived in CT either, which gets warmer and more humid than Burlington. I don't think AC is a necessity, though it can be a nice convenience. What I do need, though, if I lack AC, is the breeze from a decently powered fan. I do absolutely hate being too hot. If a car (or a building) is too cold, it doesn't really bother me one bit - I can always dress warmer. But there's a limit to how much I can take off when I'm riding the rails!
Oh, I like the cold myself. I mean I like my bedroom to be in the 40s or 50s when I sleep. I like it cold like a polar bear, man. Likewise, for a revenue car to operate without A/C is a big problem, and allowing Amtrak to continue running cars without A/C would be silly. But to legally bad order running a car just because it doesn't have A/C?

So anyone want to figure out for me what the odds are of the 11 having a PPC on 8/14? So I know if I should start crying now.
Anyone have any luck figuring this out? I'd do it myself, but I don't know the rotation.

-Jamie- said:
Anyone have any luck figuring this out? I'd do it myself, but I don't know the rotation.
No rotation involved - 4 sets - each goes out every 4th day. Cars only substituted for bad-order, scheduled maintenance, or #11 arrival so late in LA that a substitute trainset has to be made up for next day's #14.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Jamie- said:
No rotation involved - 4 sets - each goes out every 4th day. Cars only substituted for bad-order, scheduled maintenance, or #11 arrival so late in LA that a substitute trainset has to be made up for next day's #14.
Crap. I think we're going to get screwed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back