No more "Enhanced Dining" on Empire Builder?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to the original comment..........

No there is no "Enhanced Dining" on any Amtrak route anymore.

I was just comparing the current EB timetable with the new one (effective 4/15) and noticed that the new timetable's key no longer uses the language "Enhanced Dining Car Service"; it's now simply "Full meal service".

Compare:

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/950/356/Empire-Builder-Schedule-100613.pdf

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/954/441/Empire-Builder-Schedule-041514.pdf

Anyone know why the change and if there's an actual change in the dining service?

Andy
Taking the EB 27 next week...will be eager to see if I notice the differences. (That little vase of flowers was a nice touch....as well as the newspaper.)

Yes, how did we ever end up with an interesting to be sure, but very far afield discussion such as this??? :)

Meanwhile, the "new" dining experience is what it is and none of our musings will likely change it now.........bummer.

And there is still no "enhanced dining" on the EB or any other route anymore.

I made a quick Easter trip between St. Paul and Minot. No flowers on table either way. There was a toiletries kit on #8, not on #7. There was cranberry juice in 1 of four sleeper cars (about average for the Empire Builder, in my experience). At breakfast both directions, coffee was served in stoneware mugs, and the enhanced "china" was used. At dinner on #8, there was a table cloth, cloth napkins, and the enhanced "china." #7 was three hours late into Minot. #8 was *on time* to Minot (arriving before 8 p.m., but the new crew wasn't ready until about 9:30 p.m. I boarded the train and finished dinner before we left Minot. My steak was a trifle underdone for medium, and there was french toast instead of pancakes both directions. I should have asked the dining car crew about upcoming changes, but didn't think of it.

We have split off all the political discussion, some of which is quite interesting, into a new topic in the Random Area. Please keep this topic discussion to the original idea and not the political aspects.

Thanks!!!

Glad to get the madness away from the discussion,,,,, and they are going to have to take a lot more away before LD ceases to be my preferred mode of transportation.

Glad to get the madness away from the discussion,,,,, and they are going to have to take a lot more away before LD ceases to be my preferred mode of transportation.
All it took in my case were tickets that cost twice the average airfare combined with schedule changes that had me leaving and arriving at oh god thirty.

Not much point proposing something that you know isn't going to have a prayer in the House.

Given that there's a reflexive need on the part of many to fight tooth and nail against anything that Obama proposes, a low profile is probably a better course of action.
Doesn't this strategy amount to giving into them before the negotiation even begins?. Better to ask for what's really needed - then negotiate. If you agree to give up half the fight before you even start fighting, well .....

Just 1 guy's opinion.

It's not so much not asking as parsing the question such that they'll say yes. Sometimes you have

To make sure you mitigate the question to avoid a knee jerk no.

Rode EB 7 last week, china but no tablecloths.......am on Eagle right now.....plastic, but real tablecloths! By the way......there are 4 engines and 18 cars......is that unusual? I'm sure most front cars are empty......

Rode EB 7 last week, china but no tablecloths.......am on Eagle right now.....plastic, but real tablecloths! By the way......there are 4 engines and 18 cars......is that unusual? I'm sure most front cars are empty......
Very unusual-usually has 1 engine and 7-8 cars. Which eagle are you on, 22 that left San Antonio this morning, 22 that left San Antonio yesterday morning,, or 21 going south?

Last edited by a moderator:
She's not on #22! I had Breakfast in the CCC/Diner this morning out of Austin and there were plastic dishes,real flatware, a paper placemat and No Flowers! LOL

The consist was the usual Eagle one with One Engine, Transdorm,Revenue Sleeper, CCC,SSL, 3 Coaches which were pretty full!

I'm catching #21 Back to Austin this afternoon, its currently running 2 Hours Late between Mineola and Dallas!!!

Bet she's on the very late 22 of yesterday then,a on todays 22 (as JH was) and it's the normal consist, 21 just passed us at Tower 55, it too was the normal consist. WOnder why it would be doubled up and then some? Part of the track work cancellations/bustitutions I guess?

Could be part (or all) of the display of Amtrak equipment at LAUS National Train Day on its way to another NTD this weekend.

She's on 2(04) which will spilt to become 22(06).

The Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle is transporting the Amtrak Exhibit Train from Los Angeles to Longview, Texas.

So in addition to the normal Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle consist, there's an extra P42DC (#42, Veterans Unit), an NPCU (#406), a heritage sleeping car (#10020 Pacific Bend), 3 display cars (old baggage cars) and the Amfleet I Exhibit Train Store (#85999, former Capstone Cafe car).

As to these cars being old-looking... they are. The sleeping car and display cars were all built in the 1950's... but I doubt they are rusty. When I saw them up close last year they were impeccable. The equipment used on the Exhibit Train clearly gets a lot of love from the folks at Beech Grove.

All of the heritage cars used for the exhibit train were built in the 1950's.

10020 - Sleeper, built by Budd for the Union Pacific - 1950

10093 - Baggage, built by Budd for the Santa Fe - 1953

10094 - Baggage, built by Budd for the Santa Fe - 1957

10095 - Baggage, built by Budd for the Santa Fe - 1953

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back