No Ice In Sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're using bottled water for your CPAP, you're using the wrong water. Safest and best to use distilled water. No chemicals. less likely to have germs, safest to inhale.
Distilled water has less minerals, of course, but I can't imagine how it is less likely to have germs. Surely that depends on how clean the bottling line is, how old the bottle of distilled water is, etc., etc., etc. I doubt that your rebottled distilled water has a significantly lower bacterial load than a unopened small bottle of "spring water." Even the difference in mineral content is probably minimal, since most bottled water I have tried is very soft.

What both will have is a lack of the chlorine smell that tap water can have, and which I find unpleasant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it was a one off, a trial, or what, but recently on the Texas Eagle, noticed an ice making machine in the snack area in the middle of the dining/cross country cafe car. Was cranking out crushed ice.

Interesting about the ice making machine on the TE. This is the first I had heard about such a thing. There is a limit to the amount of water a railroad car can carry. I wonder how much water that thing uses.

tom

Sounds like your on one of Beech Grove's finest, a rehab I! The IIs are getting tired and ratty and definitely need upgrading but of course there's no money from the Commisars, er Congress!
I thought you preferred commissars. ;)

Anyway, I just bring my own mini fridge and plug it up to the outlet rail. I think everyone should.

"On Business Class you can get all the bottled water and soft drinks you want from the Cafe car. (or does this vary from train to train). "

On Acela that would be true from what I have read. I know on Illinois Lincoln Service BC it is one drink free ( no more ) and a newspaper. Coffee I think may be unlimited on Lincoln Service - but I don't drink that.

Took a trip on 92 and 97 last month. Both times there was ice next to the coffee pot. Can't recall the water situation on 92, but on 97 there were plenty of water bottles next to the coffee pot.

Realize that water runs about 5 cents a bottle in bulk. If I was an SCA i would provide it for my passenger with an expected substantial ROI in the form of tips.

Just got off Eagle 421 and was surprised at the change since last LD trip 6 months ago. The water is rationed and to get ice you have to practically beg for it because attendant has to get it from the diner car. Is this widespread new policy? I'm going back on the 422 Saturday....am eager to see if the same happens.

Reminds me of some signs posted in the early days of Amtrak, in the old heritage equipment...

they were headlined NOTICE TO PASSENGER's, but on many of them, some wag rubbed out the first letter 'T'...... :huh:

I am now on my return trip on 422 and just as I expected there is no consistency with the ice situation. My attendent cited the incident of someone taking a picture of something other than ice in the ice chest as reason why no ice in sleepers. And then I find out from sleeper passenger at the other end of train that ice was in plain sight and readily available in their car.

On our last trip on the EB we had no problem getting ice. We even got enough to fill our small cooler where we keep the special gourmet drinks. People were complaining that there was no ice for the juice but our approach is different. We just "greased" the SCA and we got large buckets full of ice. We were swimming in ice. "Money talks nobody walks". You got money, you'll get ice and anything else that you want.

On our last trip on the EB we had no problem getting ice. We even got enough to fill our small cooler where we keep the special gourmet drinks. People were complaining that there was no ice for the juice but our approach is different. We just "greased" the SCA and we got large buckets full of ice. We were swimming in ice. "Money talks nobody walks". You got money, you'll get ice and anything else that you want.
Greasing the palm always seems to make the gears run smoothly and rules over looked on Amtrak for sure. I tip when I board and while NO is a common term to the others, I will always get a yes or offer of seconds.

On our EB journey in August all the ice, all the water we wanted but we did have to ask the SCA for it. No hassle other than the added expense of the labor opposed to self service,,,, and perhaps a little time, but when you travel by Amtrak you can ignore Einstein's rule about time being a constant in the universe.

How about an update on the ice availability on sleepers. Yea or NEY?
Just got home yesterday off the Sundset Limited RT ELP to LAX. No ice going out (slept in crew sleeper, nothing there so went to sleeper behind me and there was coffee but no ice). Trip back was well stocked as always by Efron.

Recently took the CZ from Iowa to California. Bottled water was always available and SCA service was exceptional (although some passengers helped themselves to more water than their fair share.) That being said, I did not get dehydrated.

"How about an update on the ice availability on sleepers. Yea or NEY?"

I'm more concerned about the water availability.
On a recent trip, a rather large loop, originating in Kansas City and return, via Chicago, Depew, NY, Toronto, Vancouver (BC), Seattle, Emeryville, and Galesburg, all Amtrak Train had at least 2 bottles of water per person per day in the sleeping car. Trains 48 and 6 offered even more! Interestingly, these two trains had ice available from 6am to 10pm my entire stay. Train 63 had ice and water upon request in business class. Sadly, the others (3, 4, and 11) had none.

Took a round trip on the Silver Meteor last week. Ice was available both directions. However water/coffee/juice was out for the whole trip in one direction, not in the other.

When I rode coach on the SWC several years ago there was a source for drinking water near the restrooms, lower level.

(It was like a spout under which one could place a cup, but with enough space under it that I think you could refill a 'personal size' water bottle)

I'll be on the SWC in a roomette in May. Is there a source for drinking water on it in a similar place?

thanks

There are cup-type drinking water dispensers like you describe at the top and bottom of the stairs in all Superliner coaches and sleeping cars.

There are cup-type drinking water dispensers like you describe at the top and bottom of the stairs in all Superliner coaches and sleeping cars.
Thanks. I'm thinking it might be wise to also bring along a 'cup', in case my bottle doesn't fit. I can use it to fill my bottle.

Maybe something like the old style thermos bottle.

Again --> thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back