No Acela Value Fares after 10/15?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is called inventory management.
Modern inventory management is usually dynamic in nature and highly variable. This sounds more like blunt force price setting to me.

Acela Business Class has considerable more leg room than coach on the Regionals. It is not the same as coach as some have stated!
Acela's "Business Class" product would be called "Premium Economy" anywhere other than Amtrak.

Acela Business Class has considerable more leg room than coach on the Regionals. It is not the same as coach as some have stated !
Yeah, it's sort if its own thing. It's Acela's coach, but not exactly comparable to "regular coach" on the other trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Acela Business Class has considerable more leg room than coach on the Regionals. It is not the same as coach as some have stated !
Yeah, it's sort if its own thing. It's Acela's coach, but not exactly comparable to "regular coach" on the other trains.
It is Acela Business Class with business class seats, business class curtains, and business class leg room.

Consider that the whole Acela program is geared towards the business traveler, also, at the time when the Acela tiers were named, the term "premium economy" was not in wide use, if at all.

Remind me, can someone with an Acela "business class" ticket buy a station lounge pass, or is that just for passengers traveling in actual business class? If it's the former, I guess that would make one very small way that Acela business isn't exactly coach.
Yes, Acela Business can buy entry to Club Acela in Washington, Philadelphia and (when it reopens) Boston. Not for New York.
I don't think that the Lounge in DC is a lounge that has a $20 day pass. I know PHL and BOS are and NYP you're lucky to find a seat during the rush hour.

Also to clear up the confusion of Value and Saver fares..

Saver fares are the 25% off fares that are Non Refundable.

Value is the fare after the Saver Fares sell out.

Flexible Fares are the top bucket.

Consider that the whole Acela program is geared towards the business traveler, also, at the time when the Acela tiers were named, the term "premium economy" was not in wide use, if at all.
Premium Economy is a general term for several similar offerings first made available in the mid-1990's. The introduction of Acela was around the same time frame that MRTC came to AA via absorption and expansion of TWA's Comfort Class. MRTC begat Economy Plus, which begat Comfort Plus, which begat Main Cabin Extra, and so on. This is not intended to contradict your post's premise but here in 2018 I believe that most of Amtrak's Business Class offerings would be more accurately termed Premium Economy.

Remind me, can someone with an Acela "business class" ticket buy a station lounge pass, or is that just for passengers traveling in actual business class? If it's the former, I guess that would make one very small way that Acela business isn't exactly coach.
Yes, Acela Business can buy entry to Club Acela in Washington, Philadelphia and (when it reopens) Boston. Not for New York.
I don't think that the Lounge in DC is a lounge that has a $20 day pass. I know PHL and BOS are and NYP you're lucky to find a seat during the rush hour.
Indeed. Quoting from the Club Acela section of https://www.amtrak.com/station-lounges

All Business Class passengers can purchase daily access passes for the ClubAcela locations at Philadelphia - 30th Street Station and Boston - South Station* for $20.00 per day. Speak with a uniformed employee at the station for more information.

If you accept that Acela does not have a "coach" class, then you have no problem understanding that Acela Business Class is actually business class! And Acela Business Class seats, etc, are better than the Northeast Regionals business class.

Actually Premium and/or Business are the top buckets.

Actually Premium and/or Business are the top buckets.
Right. Sorry I should have mentioned that I was referring to coach fares. Or in Acela tickets Business Class.

Actually premium usually refers to rooms, which have their own separate buckets. You could have coach in the high bucket, and under premium have roomettes in the 3rd bucket and also under premium have bedrooms as low bucket.

Actually premium usually refers to rooms, which have their own separate buckets. You could have coach in the high bucket, and under premium have roomettes in the 3rd bucket and also under premium have bedrooms as low bucket.
All true, but very confusing to a newbie!

True. The only case where coach would fall under Premium is if you choose coach as part of a connecting ticket that includes either Acela First or a sleeping accomodation. Otherwise, it's Saver, Value, or Flex.

You're right. Neither NYP nor WAS offer lounge passes.

It is Acela Business Class with business class seats, business class curtains, and business class leg room.
There's actually significantly less legroom in Acela "business class" than you get in business class on a Regional. There are have nicer seats and a more modern design than Regional coach, but that really only stems from the fact that the Acela train sets are exclusive to Acela and were built 20+ years later. It's definitely nicer than coach on the other trains, but it isn't really a "proper" business class.

This train is super important to many commuters and always had a 100-120 fare available...looks like Amtrak trying to gouge its customer base. Hope it doesnt happen to your preferred route!!!

I do not see it as gouging their customers. I see it as trying to get the most fare that the customer will pay to be on that specific train.

If someone wants or needs to be on the 6:00 train, and is willing to pay more, why should Amtrak offer a lower fare on the 6:00 train?
default_huh.png
If they really want a lower fare, they can always chose to leave on the 6:30 or 7:00 train.

I live in a resort area that does most of their business between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Should the hotel rates be the same in January, April or October when far less people travel than in July when many people take vacations?
default_huh.png
They can chose to vacation in April!

This train is super important to many commuters and always had a 100-120 fare available...looks like Amtrak trying to gouge its customer base. Hope it doesnt happen to your preferred route!!!
They're not offering Saver or Value fares on literally one early morning train, and it's only on Mondays. The term "gouge" seems a bit harsh.

Why would someone offer a lower level fare if they could sell the same seat at regular price?
Exactly. And again, we're talking about one early morning train one day a week. If you can't handle the higher fare, either go with a later train or don't take Acela for your Monday commute.

Its the only early morning train that gets you to nyc by 9. NEC is more a utility than anything else- you dont see the nyc MTA charging $5 because people depend on them

Time of day pricing and peak demand charges are a major part of many utility pricing structures. They do it on the bridges and tunnels , the political will is not there for the subways. LIRR and MNRR certainly charge way more peak than off peak.

But this is not peak vs off peak...this is just one train on one day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back