Nit picking?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is often thought that the best (clearest pronunciation) English is spoken in Edinburgh, so where does that leave the rest of us?

It is often thought that the best (clearest pronunciation) English is spoken in Edinburgh, so where does that leave the rest of us?
rotfl.gif

I believe a Rundfahrt is German for American English round trip. Which reminds me that my favorite pass time while biking across Österreich is counting the number of different fahrts there are, starting with einfahrt and ausfahrt.

I had to say repeatedly "einzelfahrt, einzelfahrt -- wir kommen nie zeruecki"

I did explain that I wanted to return back to EMY from San Jose on the same day... and keep in mind that this agent managed to also sell me a ticket dated for travel on a train that had already departed A DAY BEFORE I EVEN PURCHASED MY TICKET !

More a case of Hangover or something more than a lack of common language, is my guess.

Nobody knows, just one of those "fun" Amtrak anomilies !

Ed :cool:
I'm laughing with you, not at you!!! :hi: A TRUE FEELING OF Helplessness

rotfl.gif
Weall - Ai leave here in whearr the bloudie standard "Mid Nor-west - f-ing standard American IUngloush is and reamains --

And OI pronounce each vowel perfectly.

It is often thought, by the residents of Ecuador, that their pronunciation of Espanol is the most perfect and clear -- and they are correct there in Quito.

Me -- hoping world-wide eigu or whatever helps a little -- I wanna be good in allo those strange places.

So -- what "English" accent should I cultivate for best world-wide understanding? hih?

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the phrase "return" being ubiquitous throughout the travel business...

I've perused enough other travel forums to know that "return" is used in many parts of the world, but I have yet to encounter it here in the US. Amtrak's website says "round trip", and all of the major travel sites I've checked out so far (Expedia, Travelocity, etc.) use "Round Trip." Interestingly, though, the UK versions of those sites all use "return". Via Rail uses "Round Trip", so it looks like "return" isn't used in Canada either.

I agree that Amtrak customer service agents should ask for clarification when they're confused, but to be fair, "return" in this country refers to the second leg of one's trip. I work in customer service myself, and from my experience fully 90% of what customers tell me is irrelevant. I can see how an Amtrak agent could hear "return", assume that the passenger is "returning" from somewhere that's not germane to this trip, and simply filtering that out.

Youins is lucky not to be in Appalachia,,,,

We once had a speaker of the Ohio House propose Appalachian become the second language of our state

Folks from Cleveland went nuts

OK... All the nits have been picked.

Let's move on to another topic somewhere else.

C'm on Dudes and Dudettes--

Yeah we all know that Amtrak haaas ancient software -- but it mostly works -- really --

Like "feattures" well -- like "apps" ssometimjes borken and misspellleddd like

Never had a problem just buying a ticket.

THAT just works.

Cf bnb and some hotel chains --

Amtrak tix mostly works. I like that.

Lice? on the train? oh geez, now I got to worry the Ebola, and the lice. Oh dear oh dear oh dear ---

I'll just stay home and not eat anything and be scared of everybody and the govt too.

What's this world coming too I don't know. When I was a babe I didnt have to fear anything.

Worrity worrity worrity.

Lice? on the train? oh geez, now I got to worry the Ebola, and the lice. Oh dear oh dear oh dear ---

I'll just stay home and not eat anything and be scared of everybody and the govt too.

What's this world coming too I don't know. When I was a babe I didnt have to fear anything.

Worrity worrity worrity.
Arguably, a tinfoil hat might make it more difficult for the lice to get onto your head.

Not that I'm recommending that, mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back