Nicknames

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some other ATC nicknames....a medevac or air ambulance flight is called "Lifeguard"...could also apply as a prefix to an airline carrying urgent cargo, such as an organ for transplant.....

The most famous nickname...."Air Force One"..... :)
Not to slight the Marines as in "Marine One" being the Presidents Chopper! When the President isn't aboard the 747 becomes "Flight 27000" unless it's changed since I was in Washington?

Thanks for the update on the Tail Numbers, I guess 27000 is in the Ronnie Raygun Museum in California?

!
Not sure what it becomes. However, "Air Force One" is hardly a nickname. It's an official call sign for any plane carrying POTUS.

Also, the AF calls it a VC-25.

Some other ATC nicknames....a medevac or air ambulance flight is called "Lifeguard"...could also apply as a prefix to an airline carrying urgent cargo, such as an organ for transplant.....

Not to slight the Marines as in "Marine One" being the Presidents Chopper! When the President isn't aboard the 747 becomes "Flight 27000" unless it's changed since I was in Washington?

Thanks for the update on the Tail Numbers, I guess 27000 is in the Ronnie Raygun Museum in California?

!
Not sure what it becomes. However, "Air Force One" is hardly a nickname. It's an official call sign for any plane carrying POTUS.
It's a VC-25 because of the heavy modifications to make it better suited for potus to use. Some of the lesser known but publicly available modifications include the communications suite and the airborne refueling capabilities built into the aircraft.

Not to slight the Marines as in "Marine One" being the Presidents Chopper!When the President isn't aboard the 747 becomes "Flight 27000" unless it's changed since I was in Washington?

!

It's the ATC call sign for an AIR FORCE aircraft carrying the POTUS....not ANY aircraft, as Bob Dylan has pointed out, as in "Marine One"..... ;)

Wonder what they call the Prevost motorhome the Prez sometimes travels in, Secret Service One? :p As well as any limo he happens to ride in.

Wonder what they call the Prevost motorhome the Prez sometimes travels in, Secret Service One? :p As well as any limo he happens to ride in.
Not sure if it's a media or Secret Service nickname, but the Armored tank,er Cadillac that is THE Presidential Limo is called "The Beast".
The official Secret Service code name is "Stagecoach".

Last edited by a moderator:
Some regional airlines:

Comair=Comedy Air

Skywest=Skypest

GoJet=Blowjet

Chautauqua=Sheniqua

Pinnacle=Peanuckle

Great Lakes=Great Mistakes

ExpressJet and ASA merged and was actually about to be called "SureJet." It was quickly changed back to ExpressJet.

Pinnacle later merged with Mesaba and Colgan to make "Peñacolaba."

PSA's FAA callsign is "Blue Streak," and is sometimes changed to "Brown Streak." :)

Airports:

LaGarbage and JFn'K

Back